firewall and windows explorer

August 23, 2005 6:07:49 PM

My firewall tells me that windows explorer is trying to access the
internet, not internet explorer, windows explorer. Does anyone know why
it's doing this? I denied access but I'm wondering if this is part of the
windows update mechanism. Stupid to have two programs with the same name
by the way.. they used to have a program called "file manager" that did the
same thing and actually described what it did. I'm never exploring
anything when I use windows explorer anyways. I've always let it connect
before but I'm trying tighten my security, those virus writers are getting
mighty clever.

TIA

Paul
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 6:07:50 PM

No, it's not a part of Windows Update - I believe that it may be a part of
the Help and Support Center service, or it may be a part of the Search
function.

On my system I've had it blocked for several years without any problems. As
I recall, when I checked it out, it was trying to connect to Microsoft.

"Pdigmking" wrote:

> My firewall tells me that windows explorer is trying to access the
> internet, not internet explorer, windows explorer. Does anyone know why
> it's doing this? I denied access but I'm wondering if this is part of the
> windows update mechanism. Stupid to have two programs with the same name
> by the way.. they used to have a program called "file manager" that did the
> same thing and actually described what it did. I'm never exploring
> anything when I use windows explorer anyways. I've always let it connect
> before but I'm trying tighten my security, those virus writers are getting
> mighty clever.
>
> TIA
>
> Paul

Anonymous
August 23, 2005 7:57:17 PM

=?Utf-8?B?dXNhc21h?= <usasma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
news:D 909749C-B656-4B29-8D45-FA195119F678@microsoft.com:

> No, it's not a part of Windows Update - I believe that it may be a
> part of the Help and Support Center service, or it may be a part of
> the Search function.
>
> On my system I've had it blocked for several years without any
> problems. As I recall, when I checked it out, it was trying to
> connect to Microsoft.

Ya know what, I'll bet it's trying to report MRUs to Microsoft. When I run
spyware checkers MS MRUs (most recently used software) always show up.

Paul
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 7:57:52 PM

=?Utf-8?B?dXNhc21h?= <usasma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
news:D 909749C-B656-4B29-8D45-FA195119F678@microsoft.com:

> No, it's not a part of Windows Update - I believe that it may be a
> part of the Help and Support Center service, or it may be a part of
> the Search function.
>
> On my system I've had it blocked for several years without any
> problems. As I recall, when I checked it out, it was trying to
> connect to Microsoft.

Thanks by the way.

Paul
!