firewall and windows explorer

My firewall tells me that windows explorer is trying to access the
internet, not internet explorer, windows explorer. Does anyone know why
it's doing this? I denied access but I'm wondering if this is part of the
windows update mechanism. Stupid to have two programs with the same name
by the way.. they used to have a program called "file manager" that did the
same thing and actually described what it did. I'm never exploring
anything when I use windows explorer anyways. I've always let it connect
before but I'm trying tighten my security, those virus writers are getting
mighty clever.

TIA

Paul
3 answers Last reply
More about firewall windows explorer

    No, it's not a part of Windows Update - I believe that it may be a part of
    the Help and Support Center service, or it may be a part of the Search
    function.

    On my system I've had it blocked for several years without any problems. As
    I recall, when I checked it out, it was trying to connect to Microsoft.

    =?Utf-8?B?dXNhc21h?= <usasma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

    > No, it's not a part of Windows Update - I believe that it may be a
    > part of the Help and Support Center service, or it may be a part of
    > the Search function.
    >
    > On my system I've had it blocked for several years without any
    > problems. As I recall, when I checked it out, it was trying to
    > connect to Microsoft.

    Ya know what, I'll bet it's trying to report MRUs to Microsoft. When I run
    spyware checkers MS MRUs (most recently used software) always show up.

    Paul

    =?Utf-8?B?dXNhc21h?= <usasma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

    > No, it's not a part of Windows Update - I believe that it may be a
    > part of the Help and Support Center service, or it may be a part of
    > the Search function.
    >
    > On my system I've had it blocked for several years without any
    > problems. As I recall, when I checked it out, it was trying to
    > connect to Microsoft.

    Thanks by the way.

    Paul

Windows Explorer Firewalls Windows XP