Sign in with
Your question

/0\ Talk about Power consumption!!

Last response: in CPUs
July 23, 2003 4:50:02 PM

prescott is hot @ over 100watts:

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/urltrurl?lp=ja...
Current mobo (iccMAX)will go from 78A to 91A.

This is no fanboy spam this is fact! Seems Amd will be offering performance @ lower power consumption in the near future. This can also be the problem with canter/spring boards? Also the mobile prescotts will use about 94watts. This is all with 0.09nm and LGA-socket.

Yep there ya go..<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by pirox on 07/23/03 12:51 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

More about : talk power consumption

July 23, 2003 5:53:37 PM

Yes, that might be a problem. Personally, I was expecting much less power consumption...
Quote:
Seems Amd will be offering performance @ lower power consumption in the near future.

That is true, but noone buys a desktop processor because it consumes less power. The only thing is that a processor with bigger heat output (not power consumption... though in the end, it will be about the same, because all power consumed will dissipate as heat) has less headroom for overclocking and reaching higher clocks.

Anyway, both Intel and AMD are about to launch very hot processors. I don't think A64 will be much cooler anyway. You can only OC Opteron to 2.2Ghz on ln2, and that is saying something. And if Prescott starts at around 100W, Intel might have troubles scaling the thing above 4Ghz... unless they change the cooling...

Anyway, is Scotty's die size greater than Northwood's? If so, that would be better...

<font color=red><b>M</b></font color=red>ephistopheles
July 23, 2003 5:56:16 PM

yesterday there was a post just like this...i doubt it will effect much...except for the HSF included with the cpu...and possibly intel will switch over to lga faster than first intended...or maybe intel will iron out their pre production problems...time will tell...

So easy to fry yet tastes so good...
Silicon: The other, other, other white meat :evil: 
Related resources
July 23, 2003 11:37:51 PM

This is definately going to affect P4 xeon. I think prescott xeon will use very high power consumption compared to opteron's @ 60W. And i Think customers will look at that.

Yep there ya go..<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by pirox on 07/23/03 07:39 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
July 23, 2003 11:49:59 PM

Time for 1000 Watt Power Supply. Bigger is better.
July 23, 2003 11:53:02 PM

Is Opteron @ 1.8Ghz only at 60W thermal output?... Nice... :smile: ... But, then, how come you need ln2 cooling to get to 2.2Ghz?... I don't know exactly. I'll check the net for confirmation on that 60W...

<font color=red><b>M</b></font color=red>ephistopheles
July 24, 2003 12:11:38 AM

Start aceshardware...they did a week's research on that. Also check AMD's pdf's.

http://www.aceshardware.com/read.jsp?id=55000266

Since the opteron @ 2.0ghz is going from 1.55v to 1.45v we can expect power consumption to reduce. I think its the newer stepping and SOI improvements.

Yep there ya go..<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by pirox on 07/23/03 08:17 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
July 24, 2003 1:02:36 AM

mephi...you are forgeting about physical limits...a cool cpu does not always yeild an amazing overclock...i heard they get 2.1ghz off of air cooling...

So easy to fry yet tastes so good...
Silicon: The other, other, other white meat :evil: 
!