Vista Compatibility Question

When the Mac changed from system 9 to X it was such a major change that many
old programs had to be run in a compatibility mode. I never changed due to
the hassle.

Now that I have switched to a PC does anyone know if Vista is a major change
that will affect old programs or is it just new features and cosmetics? When
it comes out would I be able to just install it and go. What about computer
specific system modules? Would I have to wait for Toshiba to tell me it is
ok to switch?

Dennis

Vista has recently been released as a beta 1 for testing, so it is difficult
to say exactly what the final release will do.. results from the beta
testing will ultimately decide..

Having said that, Microsoft will, no doubt, endeavour to include as much
compatibility as will work reliably.. it will definitely run on x86
architecture, and when installed will do a set up based on the capability of
the local machine.. that is to say, if you have a high end machine, you will
get all of Vista's bells and whistles, and if it is low end, you will get a
more basic installation.. a good thing, as XP installations lay it all on
regardless of whether the local machine can cope..

Presently, there is only promotional info on Vista.. we will all learn on
Vista's abilities after the final version is released to the public at
large..

The release date is set for sometime in 2006, probably middle of the year,
so for now, it is not wise to worry about it for now.. in the meantime, you
can take a look here..

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/default.mspx

--
Mike Hall