Sign in with
Your question

Lockup on boot, but only with this hard drive?!

Last response: in CPUs
July 23, 2003 11:07:24 PM

Hi all, here's my setup: 1.33ghz t-bird, Epox 8k7a, 256mbx2, 60gb (master), 30gb (slave), running Win2k. Now, here's my problem. I boot up my computer, Win2k loads up, goes to the log on screen, and within a minute it'll freeze. If I logon quickly, it'll load my profile and desktop, but soon freeze. It also does this in safe mode. I've tinkered with every setting in my BIOS, I've removed all PCI cards except my AGP video, I've swapped memory, etc etc. Doesn't help.

As far as I can remember, this problem started when I was doing some programming, my comp froze (which never happens) so I had to reboot and have never gotten it to boot properly again.

Here's the thing though. My 30gb slave drive has a copy of Win2k on it - if I swap out the 60GB for the 30GB, everything boots up fine. Thinking the CPU might be failing, I loaded up a copy of SiSoft Sandra on my 30gb, and I can do CPU and memory benchmarks without a problem, so CPU seems fine.

On one of my many boots with the 60GB, I logged on and quickly brought up task manager. While the computer is still loading, it shows minimal CPU usage, but as soon as it freezes it jumps up to about 84%. To be clear, my computer freezes, but I can still move the mouse... I move it, and about 8 seconds later it updates, all skippy. The process that uses the CPU doesnt show.

Also, I can put the 60GB on my other setup (700mhz athlon) and it'll boot up without a problem. That's the set up I'm using now. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

More about : lockup boot hard drive

July 24, 2003 2:14:44 AM

try to reinstall windows on your 60gb hard drive...

So easy to fry yet tastes so good...
Silicon: The other, other, other white meat :evil: 
July 24, 2003 12:01:37 PM

you might be able to get away with re-installing windows over the top of your existing installation. That way you should keep all your settings.
Sounded like a power problem until you mentioned about the mouse... do you have enough time to quickly run msconfig and check out the items in the Startup Tab? sounds like it dies as soon as it loads something on startup - you need to find out what that something is really...

---
$hit Happens. I just wish it would happen to someone else for a change.
Related resources
July 24, 2003 6:28:33 PM

might it be a virus?

I'm not sure...if it does not work after you reload windows...then you may have to format the drive and clean install windows...

So easy to fry yet tastes so good...
Silicon: The other, other, other white meat :evil: 
July 24, 2003 6:56:21 PM

The more I think about it the more I start to wonder if it is a power-related problem. Can you check the voltages on your rails?

"<i>Yeah, if you treat them like equals, it'll only encourage them to think they <b>ARE</b> your equals.</i>" - Thief from <A HREF="http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=030603" target="_new">8-Bit Theater</A>
July 24, 2003 8:02:32 PM

Yes! The problem was with some VIA IDE Bus Master driver/tool that was installed (althought it never caused problems before). I used my 700mhz machine to uninstall it, it froze on uninstall but booted up fine. Then I switched to my 1.33ghz system and it loaded up just fine.

But I do have a question about the power - the voltage ratings are as follows: 2.5V = 1.57V, 3.3V = 3.41V, 5V = 4.68V, 12V = 12.37V... This is a 400W PSU
July 24, 2003 8:11:29 PM

Yeah, I'm starting to wonder.. my screen seems to be flickering randomly - quite faintly but it's noticable. Actually, it's doing it right now, only when I type. The monitor and graphics card are fine, as I can put my graphics card on the 700mhz machine and use this same monitor with no problem. I'm starting to wonder if it has anything to do with my power supply? Voltage ratings are as follows (I know, I know, I posted these in the previous post too): V Core: 1.81, 2.5V = 1.57V, 3.3V = 3.41V, 5V = 4.68V, 12V = 12.37V. I think these values are way off, especially for a 400W Enermax PSU
July 25, 2003 8:28:17 AM

a 400W enermax should be fine (I use an Enermax 430W one myself), although your 5V rail seems on the low side. How are you measuring those voltages?

On the monitor issue, have you tried adjusting the refresh rate? might help.

---
July 25, 2003 12:26:39 PM

The refresh is set to to 75, and I've tried changing it... It's a subtle, light waviness, visible on light areas of the screen (white, light gray) and it seems to happen with hard disk activity, or significant cpu usage and, like I said, when I type.

I'm using VIA hardware monitor to measure the voltages.
July 25, 2003 2:05:11 PM

Sounds more like electrical interference or something... There are options in the BIOS for 'AGP Spread Spectrum' or something, I <i>think</i> they've got something to do with helping cut interference, but don't go fiddling with these things based on my saying - I'm really not too sure. If someone could confirm this, I'd be grateful.

Try using Motherboard Monitor 5 to monitor your voltages. I'm not saying VIA's prog is wrong, but it's always good to get a second opinion.

---
July 25, 2003 3:10:56 PM

Quote:
V Core: 1.81, 2.5V = 1.57V

Are you sure that wasn't 1.75V? The 1.33GHz T-Bird should be at 1.75V. If it's only getting 1.57V then it's being significantly undervolted. But if it's just a case of dyslexia then all is good there. :o 

Quote:
3.3V = 3.41V

This one looks fine. :) 

Quote:
5V = 4.68V

This one looks almost dangerously low. It should be a lot closer to 5V than that, and you'd hope for slightly over 5V while you're at it, not that far under. I'd say this is a considerable problem. :( 

Quote:
12V = 12.37V

This one looks good. :) 

Now, if I remember correctly, hard drives run off of the 5V line. So if your 5V line is running that far under spec, then chances are that any hard drive that's the least bit touchy when undervolted is going to start giving you problems.

So I'd say that the problem really looks to be with your power supply. You need one with more amps on the 5V rail.

Quote:
I think these values are way off, especially for a 400W Enermax PSU

I agree. Which brings me to my next thought: Are you <i>sure</i> that it is a 400W Enermax PSU? I just looked up Enermax's website quickly and I didn't see any model that was exactly 400W. If it is in fact an Enermax supply, then can you provide the model number? Otherwise you might have a generic PSU in there. (And a generic PSU would certainly explain the sub-par performance.)

"<i>Yeah, if you treat them like equals, it'll only encourage them to think they <b>ARE</b> your equals.</i>" - Thief from <A HREF="http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=030603" target="_new">8-Bit Theater</A>
!