HP NetServer 5/133 LH Blues

Good evening.

I'm currently attempting to revive a HP Netserver 5/133 LH and use it
as a small webserver for a home network. However, I'm having a few
problems getting it up and going. The only difference between this
and the standard box is the addition of RAM (128MB in 4x32MB EDO
SIMMs).

Currently when I turn it on I get a couple of seconds of POST while it
counts the RAM (full 128MB I'm happy to report) and then borks with
the messages:

EISA Configuration NVRam bad - Run Configuration Utility
UMB Upper Limit request address - F653
System CMOS Checksum bad - Run Configuration Utility

Which appear for the whole of about 1/25th of a second and then the
screen goes entirely blank. There are no extra peripherals, just the
NIC that came with it. I have the configuration disks, however the
server doesn't seek the floopy drive, in fact there is no FDD activity
at all.

I would be grateful for any ideas on this, my usual lines of enquiries
are currently exhaused and I've run out of ideas.

Thanks,

Kian Ryan

"pteppic" <k.r.ryan@dunelm.org-dot-uk.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> Good evening.
>
> I'm currently attempting to revive a HP Netserver 5/133 LH and use it
> as a small webserver for a home network. However, I'm having a few
> problems getting it up and going. The only difference between this
> and the standard box is the addition of RAM (128MB in 4x32MB EDO
> SIMMs).
>
> Currently when I turn it on I get a couple of seconds of POST while it
> counts the RAM (full 128MB I'm happy to report) and then borks with
> the messages:
>
> EISA Configuration NVRam bad - Run Configuration Utility
> UMB Upper Limit request address - F653
> System CMOS Checksum bad - Run Configuration Utility
>
> Which appear for the whole of about 1/25th of a second and then the
> screen goes entirely blank. There are no extra peripherals, just the
> NIC that came with it. I have the configuration disks, however the
> server doesn't seek the floopy drive, in fact there is no FDD activity
> at all.
>
> I would be grateful for any ideas on this, my usual lines of enquiries
> are currently exhaused and I've run out of ideas.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kian Ryan

Kian;

This is a typical startup problem of an older EISA server. Pop in the EISA
configuration CD or floppy (fix the floppy issue of course). The EISA
config utility tells "CMOS" all the hardware you have, even if there is
nothing optional. Save the config file and the problem goes away.

Doug

When does the NetServer usually seek the drive? I ask so that I can
work out when the thing is actually failing and do something about it.
I've checked all the cables and it all seems fine. Is there anything
other than the normal FDD cable and power cable on the mobo I need to
check?

The floppy drive and cable in the NetServer 5/133 LH is industry-standard.

.... Ben Myers

On 11 Jan 2005 07:04:12 -0500, k.r.ryan@dunelm.org-dot-uk.no-spam.invalid
(pteppic) wrote:

>When does the NetServer usually seek the drive? I ask so that I can
>work out when the thing is actually failing and do something about it.
> I've checked all the cables and it all seems fine. Is there anything
>other than the normal FDD cable and power cable on the mobo I need to
>check?

Right, changed both the floppy drive and the cable and still no joy.
Just to reiterate, boot, get messages, blank screen.

Any ideas anyone? This one is really getting to me. What key
combination is required to get into the BIOS when the disk is in the
drive?