Win7-64Bit Short freezes

johnkyr

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2007
Hi friends.

I am experiencing short freezes on a Laptop whatever program is running. Pdf viewing, Youtube video or word scrolling.

From a diagnostic, LatencyMon, it seems that dxgkrn.sys takes too long.

My system is a SONY Vaio VGN-AW11Z, running Win 7-64Bit (Upgraded from Vista 32 Bit).

Drivers are the latest provided by Sony for Win 7.

Any help appreciated.
Ioannis

johnkyr

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2007
Thanks for the replies. While I was waiting for a response, I checked in Safe Mode. It seems to run OK, with no breaks in YouTube videos, or scrolling pdf etc. Back in normal operation drops came back.

Also the HD seems OK. In fact the laptop has two internal disks, the system is a Seagate 500GB hybrid and the second 1TB western digital for the USER data files.

Now looking for the DirectX latest version.

Regards,
Ioannis

johnkyr

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2007
1. What do you mean by "trouble shooter in the action center"? Sorry for not understanding this.

2. A DOS scandisk was ended OK with no errors.

3. I think the HD is working more than what I think is normal.

4. I re-install nVidia drivers with no change in overall performance. Still the same drops.

5. I have installed a while ago the Tune-Up 2013 suite. Can this be a source of problem?

Thanks for any help.
Ioannis

A good way to drtermine the cause of a problem is recent hardware or software changes and with the install of the Tune up suite and then the problems start you can see the connection and you even noted it in your post. I would guess that an uninstall of this program would be the next thing to do to see if the issue goes away.
On the task bar at the bottom of the screen on the right side there is what looks like a flag on a pole if you put your mouse over it it will say action center , click on it and go to the action center where you'll see some options and one of them is the trouble shooter.

johnkyr

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2007
After a lot of tests it seems that the problem of the pauses is the Hard Disk being the Seagate Momentus XT.

Right now I am trasnfering the installation to a traditional hard disk and see how it goes.

Anyway, it makes sense, since Seagate knows the problem and many, really many people have similar problems (their forum prooves that...)

Stay tuned, I will post results this evening.

Ioannis

johnkyr

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2007
OK, It is possitive now. The Hard Disk was found guilty as charged. The Seagate Momentus XT, yes the one that you pay as mechanical to have SSD performance is totally crap. Even after latest firmware update.

I returned to the previous hard disk making a copy of the disk with Acronis True Image and it is just fine now.

Hope this helps others with this useless piece of junk.
Ioannis

johnkyr

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2007
OK, Seagate said that my disk is failing and since it is in warranty, I returned for a replacement. I sure that the "new" refurbished disk I will receive, will have the same problem, since the firmware update did not solve the problem.

When it comes, I will update the thread.

Ioannis