Can I use any XP Pro CD with my product key? Or does it have to be the
one that goes with the product key. The reason I ask is I have 6
machines and I am not sure which product key goes with each CD but I do
know which product key goes with each PC.

There are utilities on the web that will tell you the product key for each
system. 2 come to mind immediately - Magical Jellybean Keyfinder and the
Belarc Advisor.

DrJoel wrote:

> Can I use any XP Pro CD with my product key? Or does it have to be the
> one that goes with the product key.

The product key is not on the CD, and you can use any CD, as long as it's of
the same type (Professional vs. Home; Retail vs. OEM; Full vs. Upgrade).

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Ken Blake wrote:
> DrJoel wrote:
>

>>Can I use any XP Pro CD with my product key? Or does it have to be the
>>one that goes with the product key.
>

> The product key is not on the CD, and you can use any CD, as long as it's of
> the same type (Professional vs. Home; Retail vs. OEM; Full vs. Upgrade).

Thanks Ken I made a slipstream CD and I will try tomorrow.

DrJoel wrote:
> Ken Blake wrote:
>> DrJoel wrote:
>>

>>> Can I use any XP Pro CD with my product key? Or does it have to be
>>> the one that goes with the product key.
>>

>> The product key is not on the CD, and you can use any CD, as long as
>> it's of the same type (Professional vs. Home; Retail vs. OEM; Full
>> vs. Upgrade).

> Thanks Ken I made a slipstream CD and I will try tomorrow.

You're welcome. Glad to help.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup

BigJim

you can use any legit produce key with any cd, so as long as you know what
key is on the machine you are good to go.
there maybe a difference between the Home and Pro version, not sure about
that one.

BigJIm wrote:

> you can use any legit produce key with any cd,

No, not quite true. See my earlier reply in this thread.

> so as long as you know
> what key is on the machine you are good to go.
> there maybe a difference between the Home and Pro version, not sure
> about that one.

That's one of the examples where you can't use a particular key with another
kind of CD. The others are Retail vs OEM and Full vs Upgrade.

--

Ken Blake wrote:
> BigJIm wrote:
>

>>you can use any legit produce key with any cd,
>

> No, not quite true. See my earlier reply in this thread.
>

>>so as long as you know
>>what key is on the machine you are good to go.
>>there maybe a difference between the Home and Pro version, not sure
>>about that one.
>

> That's one of the examples where you can't use a particular key with another
> kind of CD. The others are Retail vs OEM and Full vs Upgrade.

I mite run into a problem, because the slipstream program would not
recognize the Dell XP Pro CD, but it recognized another CD which was not
Dell.

Hi

If you want to 'Repair' install XP onto any of the machines, then you don't
need a PK for that reason.

--

Will Denny
MS MVP Windows Shell/User

Will Denny wrote:
> Hi
>
> If you want to 'Repair' install XP onto any of the machines, then you don't
> need a PK for that reason.

Thank you Will, keeping track of these keys among all the machines is a
pain.

> Will Denny wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> If you want to 'Repair' install XP onto any of the machines, then you
>> don't need a PK for that reason.
>>
> Thank you Will, keeping track of these keys among all the machines is a
> pain.

However, if you do need to 'Clean' install XP at any time, then you will
need the PK for the installation.