Can i combine 2 ram frequency?

And7rey

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2012
Hello , I'm buyed a new desktop computer with 4gb 1333mhz ram memory ( DDR3 ) and i want to upgrade my system to 8gbs but in the shop i have only find 4 gb 1066mhz ram.... Can i combine 1333mhz + 1333mhz ( 'couse i have 2 of 2gbs ) and 1066mhz... Is it safe? :??: couse my computer is new and i dont want to made any crash. This is my spec:

CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 250 ( 3.0ghz )
Ram: 4gb ( for the moment :) )
Motherboard: Biostar NF520D3
GPU: EVGA GT 430

I'm not the best in english couse i'm from Serbia :S

Solution
You can but the ram will run at the lowest speed of the two so it will run at 1066mhz.
Ram is cheap enough right now that you can pick up 4 gb of 1333mhz for pretty cheap right now and that way you will have ll the ram running at 1333mhz.
You can but the ram will run at the lowest speed of the two so it will run at 1066mhz.
Ram is cheap enough right now that you can pick up 4 gb of 1333mhz for pretty cheap right now and that way you will have ll the ram running at 1333mhz.

Solution
267mhz.
I can understand your situation and I was just suggesting the new ram because that would be the best solution. I was also just pointing out that when you combine the two different ram speeds that it will run at the lower speed. So you will have to ask yourself if you want 4gb running at 1333mhz or 8gb running at 1066. That would be your choice.

You want documented ram compatibility. If you should ever have a problem, you want supported ram.
Otherwise, you risk a finger pointing battle between the ram and motherboard support sites, claiming "not my problem".
One place to check is your motherboards web site.
Look for the ram QVL list. It lists all of the ram kits that have been tested with that particular motherboard.
Sometimes the QVL list is not updated after the motherboard is released.
For more current info, go to a ram vendor's web site and access their ram selection configurator.
Enter your motherboard, and you will get a list of compatible ram kits.
While today's motherboards are more tolerant of different ram, it makes sense to buy ram that is known to work and is supported.

Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards can be very sensitive to this.
That is why ram vendors will not support ram that is not bought in one kit.

It is safer to get what you need in one kit.

I suggest you sell your current ram and buy a 8gb kit that is compatible with your motherboard.

And7rey

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2012
No problem xD , i will buy the 4gb 1066mhz , at all i think itt will be faster couse it will be 8gb , but a little bit lower than the 1333mhz :S ... Or i will try another shop xD , but i live in Esslingen Weil and here i can only find Media Markt , that 4gb 1066mhz ram is 35euro its good price but there i can buy 2gb 1333 FOR 64EURO VERY EXPENSIVE , so i must to go in Stuttgart to buy a ******* ram memory ... Super :pfff:

And7rey

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2012
Itt must be not so hard to upgrade my system :S or not???? I only need to know how many slots i have on my motherboard , that my motherboard can run 1333mhz or another , and whitch DDR :) or more? :SS

When getting ram for your motherboard you do want to know how many ram slots there are and most modern boards have four. Your motherboard will most likly support 1066mhz and 1333mhz. If you were able to purchase ram online then you can shop at more places and get better prices. Having 8gb of 1066mhz will not be faster then having 4gb of 1333mhz but it will be better for using with programs that need large amounts of ram. What are you running that requires 8gb of ram ?
If you are just using the computer for light gaming and web surfing and regular applications then you won't need much more than 4 gb. If you working with photo and video editing then you will need and use more then 8 gb. It really all comes down to what you are using your computer for and if you can wait and order online for a better price.

If the Cinima 4D needs a lot of ram then that one program would be the only thing that you need more than 4 gb for , all the other things will not benefit from having more than 4 gb and you can't make them use more by having more.
I found out the hard way and by doing just as you are by getting a lot of ram. In fact I installed 24gb of ram thinking I'm going to be getting tremendous performance because I have 24gb of ram installed. Well to my surprise one day I had two monitors connected so I figured I would open some of the resource programs like the resource manager in the task manager and Evga's precision software and Real temp, all so I could see whats going on with the components and specificly how much ram was being used along with the six core htperthreaded cpu. I loaded and ran BF3 and when I looked at the resource manager and saw that I was using 5.5gb of ram I was greastly dissapointed because with all that being open and running I had 18gb of ram sitting there doing nothing. :ouch: :pfff: :pfff: :pfff: