LPT1 port

I have a software program that uses a security device that plugs into a
parallel port. My problem is that my laptop didn't have a parallel port, but
I got a docking station that has this. I need to configure the USB port that
the docking station is plugged into to mimic a true LPT1 port. Any
suggestions?
3 answers Last reply
More about lpt1 port

    sewingsensation wrote:
    > I have a software program that uses a security device that plugs into a
    > parallel port. My problem is that my laptop didn't have a parallel port, but
    > I got a docking station that has this. I need to configure the USB port that
    > the docking station is plugged into to mimic a true LPT1 port. Any
    > suggestions?

    Use a parallel port PCMCIA card such as:

    http://sewelldirect.com/ParallelPCMCIACard.asp

    Steve

    It's not possible. You need new version of that software, which supports usb
    port security devices.

    "sewingsensation" <sewingsensation@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:A2A54958-2069-4C84-A34F-ED538FB90EEA@microsoft.com...

    On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 18:23:04 +0300, "News Reader" <stealth@null.net>
    wrote:

    >"sewingsensation" <sewingsensation@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >message news:A2A54958-2069-4C84-A34F-ED538FB90EEA@microsoft.com...
    >>I have a software program that uses a security device that plugs into a
    >> parallel port. My problem is that my laptop didn't have a parallel port,
    >> but
    >> I got a docking station that has this. I need to configure the USB port
    >> that
    >> the docking station is plugged into to mimic a true LPT1 port. Any
    >> suggestions?

    >It's not possible. You need new version of that software, which supports usb
    >port security devices.

    Are you certain of this? My $25 Medion docking station seems to do a
    fine job of simulating a serial port on USB. Its documentation says
    it also does parallel ports, but I don't happen to have any
    parallel-port devices so I can't test this.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    "My theory was a perfectly good one. The facts were misleading."
    -- /The Lady Vanishes/ (1938)

LPT1 Parallel Port Windows XP