LPT1 port

August 23, 2005 12:01:03 PM

I have a software program that uses a security device that plugs into a
parallel port. My problem is that my laptop didn't have a parallel port, but
I got a docking station that has this. I need to configure the USB port that
the docking station is plugged into to mimic a true LPT1 port. Any
suggestions?

More about : lpt1 port

Anonymous
August 23, 2005 2:01:51 PM

sewingsensation wrote:
> I have a software program that uses a security device that plugs into a
> parallel port. My problem is that my laptop didn't have a parallel port, but
> I got a docking station that has this. I need to configure the USB port that
> the docking station is plugged into to mimic a true LPT1 port. Any
> suggestions?

Use a parallel port PCMCIA card such as:

http://sewelldirect.com/ParallelPCMCIACard.asp

Steve
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 10:23:04 PM

It's not possible. You need new version of that software, which supports usb
port security devices.

"sewingsensation" <sewingsensation@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:A2A54958-2069-4C84-A34F-ED538FB90EEA@microsoft.com...
>I have a software program that uses a security device that plugs into a
> parallel port. My problem is that my laptop didn't have a parallel port,
> but
> I got a docking station that has this. I need to configure the USB port
> that
> the docking station is plugged into to mimic a true LPT1 port. Any
> suggestions?
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 10:23:05 PM

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 18:23:04 +0300, "News Reader" <stealth@null.net>
wrote:

>"sewingsensation" <sewingsensation@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>message news:A2A54958-2069-4C84-A34F-ED538FB90EEA@microsoft.com...
>>I have a software program that uses a security device that plugs into a
>> parallel port. My problem is that my laptop didn't have a parallel port,
>> but
>> I got a docking station that has this. I need to configure the USB port
>> that
>> the docking station is plugged into to mimic a true LPT1 port. Any
>> suggestions?

>It's not possible. You need new version of that software, which supports usb
>port security devices.

Are you certain of this? My $25 Medion docking station seems to do a
fine job of simulating a serial port on USB. Its documentation says
it also does parallel ports, but I don't happen to have any
parallel-port devices so I can't test this.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"My theory was a perfectly good one. The facts were misleading."
-- /The Lady Vanishes/ (1938)
!