Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Commodore 64

Last response: in CPUs
July 24, 2003 4:35:56 PM

Might as well start this forum. Since we have one going in another. Feel free to had good or bad with C64

More about : commodore

July 24, 2003 4:51:04 PM

I've had most of the home 'puters from that era. C64s were probably the most powerful of their generation, but they were horribly unfriendly to write programs on...

I remember the days...
*Eyes glaze over as nostalgia overcomes him..*

---
$hit Happens. I just wish it would happen to someone else for a change.
July 24, 2003 4:59:28 PM

I never had problems writing software for a C=64. In fact the C=64's implementation of BASIC had some very nice features for picking out keywords without white space. It was the computer that I more or less grew up on. :)  So many fond memories.

Anyone ever edit Telengard? Or was I the only nut to do that?

And one can never forget <font color=blue><b>SYS 64738</b></font color=blue>!

Programming on the C=64 was just so much fun in my opinion. :) 

"<i>Yeah, if you treat them like equals, it'll only encourage them to think they <b>ARE</b> your equals.</i>" - Thief from <A HREF="http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=030603" target="_new">8-Bit Theater</A>
Related resources
July 24, 2003 5:11:25 PM

zx-spectrum and its zilog z80.
those were nice days of machine code programming and hacking.

mito

/\/\ito
July 24, 2003 5:36:25 PM

Did you ever program game from Comm Mag to C64?
July 24, 2003 6:17:08 PM

I used to get Commodore Mag and spend hours typeing in a single game (ahhhh, nostalgia).
I had a blast programming, too. Playing with sprites and lots of PEEKs and POKEs, and of course I'll never forget SYS 64738. :cool: I even remember the specs:
1.2 MHz 8 bit Motorola CPU
Max resolution 320x200
16 colors
3 voice sound
My most ambitious program was a simple black and white drawing program controlled by an old Atari joystick. The joystick moved a crosshair around the screen and the button toggled between a pencil and eraser. Those were the days. :cool:

<font color=blue>Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
-Einstein</font color=blue>
July 24, 2003 6:21:02 PM

Nah. I just wrote my own stuff or whenever I got bored I'd runstop into other people's games and put in various hacks to cheat with. :)  Telengard was one of the best games that I'd ever found to modify like that.

Most of the stuff that I programmed were just silly kid things like cute little shooter games. One time I even tried to write my own text adventure like Zork. It was a pain in the butt that never got very far. Heh heh. I did much better once I picked up pre-fab game writing software like Adventure Construction Set. (I think that's what the name was anyway... It's been so long...)

I really miss Racing Destruction Set though. (Again, not entirely certain of name.) That was just one fun game. :) 

"<i>Yeah, if you treat them like equals, it'll only encourage them to think they <b>ARE</b> your equals.</i>" - Thief from <A HREF="http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=030603" target="_new">8-Bit Theater</A>
July 24, 2003 6:51:30 PM

The best thing with the game in the mag was. Trying to put spaces in that the mag left out. Good thing for 800# Had to keep calling the game builder. With casette no hard disk. I should have taken typing in high school . Ya right. More fun to hunt an peck.
July 24, 2003 7:00:39 PM

Quote:
I should have taken typing in high school . Ya right. More fun to hunt an peck.

Now that brings up memories. Yikes! I remember the day I started using PCs at school. Being so used to the C=64 keyboard layout it was not a fun experience. :( 

July 24, 2003 7:54:12 PM

the keyboard wasnt qwertyuiop?

wpdclan.com cs game server - 69.12.5.119:27015
July 24, 2003 11:21:58 PM

I don't remember if I ever got a single game working right. :cool:

<font color=blue>Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
July 24, 2003 11:26:19 PM

I remember I wrote a security shell that would make the run/stop key reboot the computer LOL.

I used to play Load Runner for hours. Made tons of my own maps. And Boulder Dash. Space Harrier.

Was Racing Destruction Set the one with the side-scrolling view of a motorcycle going over ramps and doing tricks and stuff?

July 24, 2003 11:57:26 PM

I got the game to work. Do not remember the name of it. So can I get a job as a computer programer?
July 25, 2003 10:26:16 AM

I liked ZX81s. Fantastic machine. whole 1K of RAM! you'd even see the available display lines decrease while you were typing lines of code. could only fit a screenful on before you'd run out!.... screen res of something like 90 pixels by 60, in Gfx mode...

---
July 25, 2003 2:23:30 PM

Quote:
the keyboard wasnt qwertyuiop?

Well, that's the odd thing. The letters were laid out in qwerty. The special characters weren't. And the C=64 had keys that PCs don't, and of course the opposite was true as well. So typing letters was the same, buy typing quotations marks, asterisks, etc. was <i>very</i> different.

July 25, 2003 2:32:40 PM

Quote:
I used to play Load Runner for hours. Made tons of my own maps. And Boulder Dash. Space Harrier.

I remember playing Boulder Dash and Space Harrier a lot too. :)  I also played Pacman and Frogger quite a bit.

What really took up a lot of my time though was playing Pool of Radiance and Legacy of the Ancients. Both were fun RPGs.

Quote:
Was Racing Destruction Set the one with the side-scrolling view of a motorcycle going over ramps and doing tricks and stuff?

That sounds like Excite Bike. RDS was a sort of top-down view where you could play pre-made tracks or make your own tracks. You could use pavement, dirt, or ice. You could make the track flat, jumpy, wide, or narrow. And since each track was comprised of small segments, you could even vary the style of the track an awful lot over the whole length of the track. Then you'd choose what vehicle you wanted. They had indy cars, stock racers, trucks, motorcycles, and even a moon rover. Heh heh. Then you'd put things like landmines or oil slicks or armor on your vehicles as well as change what kind of tires you were using. And to top it off (for the really funky silly fun game play) you could even mess around with values such as gravity for any given track so that jumps could throw you really far. It was a great game that was even better because two people could race at the same time. :) 

July 25, 2003 2:47:05 PM

So lets bring back the old games. Do you remember pong?
July 25, 2003 2:56:09 PM

I have always been a gaming freak. I had the C<=64, a Vic-20, and several Ataris (400, 800, 1200XL). Heaven came in the form of a 386sx 16. Never had the patience for programming, but my older bro was into it. He'd get Compute magazine and type in the programs from there. I was too busy playing Miner 49er and Spy Hunter to be concerned. Once Doom hit the scene I went total addict and even started playing at tournaments. I'm still basically just a game freak, while my bro can pretty much print his own money as a programmer/electrical engineer. :p 

<font color=white><b>_________________________________________________</font color=white></b>
Armadillo<font color=orange>[</font color=orange><font color=green>TcC</font color=green><font color=orange>]</font color=orange> at Lanwar and MML
July 25, 2003 3:02:21 PM

Wow Ataris 400,800,1200XL. How many more oldes can we remember?
July 25, 2003 3:43:43 PM

I used to have an Atari 2600 and the Sega Genesis came a bit after that in our place....haaa memories...

My frog commited suicide,his last words where :"cigarrete please". :frown:
July 25, 2003 3:57:41 PM

Not only do I remember Pong, but I've even written several Pong clones over the years. I usually named them Bounce. Heh heh. They ranged from QBASIC to 16-bit x86 Assembly to FORTRAN to C to Visual Basic to Visual C++. (Basically at some point just about any language that I learn I write a Pong clone for at some point.) I even wrote Bounce for the Ti85 graphics calculator. Heh heh.

The 16-bit X86 Assembly one that I wrote was written during class in programmer tech school for the Air Force. I was getting so bored because I kept finishing all of my projects too early so I wrote a Pong clone to pass the time. I mean what else was I supposed to do? Heh heh.

Too bad that I have a nasty habit of losing all of my source codes for everything. :(  So many moves over the years in the military, and a few crashed hard drives and damaged floppy drives too.

So not having any recent Pong clones I was going to start work on a Python + OpenGL version called Bounce3D that could be run on any OS that supports OpenGL and has a Python interpreter available (so at least Windows, Linux, and Mac that I know of) but so far I just haven't had the time to start that one. :( 

Yet no matter how many clones I make, somehow the original Pong just can't be beat. I think it was the paddles that the console used. You just can't emulate that feel with a keyboard. :( 

July 25, 2003 3:58:53 PM

Lets see... I've had (not necessarily in this order):
ZX81 [x2]
Spectrum 48K [x2] [the joys of rubber keys...]
Spectrum +2 128K [Built-in tape deck! :cool: ]
Commodore VC20
Atari 2600
Sega Master System
Amiga 500+ [<<Still got this one!]
Super Nintendo [Was named <i>Super Famicom</i> in the states I believe]
Nintendo 64 [<<Also still got this one!]
Some old 286 [case was 1/4" gauge sheet steel, weighed <i>sh!tloads</i>]
K6-II 350, [oced to 450 after a year, kicked self for not doing so sooner], 64Mb RAM << first 'real' PC!
upgraded to Athlon 800, 128Mb RAM, Geforce 1
And my current Nforce2 system.

Anyone top that list? :smile:

---
July 25, 2003 3:59:13 PM

Quote:
I used to have an Atari 2600 and the Sega Genesis came a bit after that in our place....haaa memories...

Thinking of the Genesis, did anyone else ever play on the Sega Master System? Has anyone even so much as heard of the Sega Nomad?

July 25, 2003 4:02:21 PM

Yup, I had a master system - had 'Alex Kidd' built in I think.... sega Nomad? Can't recall seeing that anywhere, what was it?

Just realised, forgot C64 & Gameboy from my list...

[EDIT]
Anyone know how some of these old things rated, MIPS 'n' MFLOPS-wise? just wanna compare sandra scores... :lol: 
[/EDIT]

---
$hit Happens. I just wish it would happen to someone else for a change.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ChipDeath on 07/25/03 05:05 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
July 25, 2003 4:24:32 PM

Sega Nomad was a handheld game system ... basically it could run ANY Genesis game (but not the 32X expansion games or whatever those were). It had a color LCD screen (as well as a TV-out cable for those who wanted to view it on a TV). It had six buttons and the ability to plug in a controller for a second player. The sucker used like six or eight AA batteries. **ROFL** Usually I just ran if off of an AC to DC adapter and used it as a Genesis console.

It was fun to have during long flights though, having come out LONG before the GameBoy Advance, it was basically the best color hand-held console at the time. The problem with it really was just the insane number of batteries to power it and the fact that by the time it came out most people didn't care about Genesis games anymore. Never mind that GameBoy games were much worse at the time.

July 25, 2003 5:15:21 PM

Hoo boy if you whant to go there here is wath I had over the years :

Vic 20
C64
Atari 2600
Tandy "something" (clone to an 286)
Apple 11c and 11e
both Amiga 500 and 2000
Sega Genesis
Nintendo
IBM 386
Super Nintendo
IBM 486
P133 still got it for my firewall at home
PS1
Nintendo 64
P3 300
Duron 800
PS2
Tbird 1400
bouth an XP 1700 and a P4 1,8 at the same time
Game cube
XP 2800
P4 3.06 and upgraded the XP to 3200 last week

And I'm working on a p133 at the office

Might not be in the right order for the first fiew tho

My frog commited suicide,his last words where :"cigarrete please". :frown:
July 25, 2003 5:40:58 PM

Quote:
Hoo boy if you whant to go there here is wath I had over the years :

Has anyone ever told you that you have too much money? ;-p

Just kidding.

I remember working on a Vic20 briefly in grade school. I also had a friend who had a Commodore PET.

Anyone remember the Intelivision?

July 25, 2003 9:25:10 PM

Yup, I had an Intellivision as well. The B-17 Bomber game on that kicked major arse. It actually talked. That was sooooo cool back then. I've also had a 3D0 (anyone remember these?), an IBM PC Jr with its own infrared wireless keyboard, and the original Nintendo system complete with light gun and PowerPad. Nintendo was the shiznit when it first came out. BTW someone mentioned Famicom. That was what the Nintendo was called in Japan, not the states.

<font color=white><b>_________________________________________________</font color=white></b>
Armadillo<font color=orange>[</font color=orange><font color=green>TcC</font color=green><font color=orange>]</font color=orange> at Lanwar and MML
July 25, 2003 10:34:07 PM

I still use mine every day. LOL. j/k. Anyway, remember Bard's Tale?
July 27, 2003 2:35:26 AM

Commie 64 with the cheap feel plastic tape recorder that used to be such a pain to load games at times. Spy hunter and Ikari warriors rocked though. I also had a cartridge for it that allowed the game to be edited at the press of a button.

I had a Speccy 48k before that and spent so many hours playing Jet Set Willy, Jetpack, Rebel Star, The Hobbit....

<b>Vorsprung durch Dontwerk</b>.....<i>as they say at VIA</i>
June 24, 2009 11:14:20 PM

Ummm, I think we are all forgetting about Bonk's Adventures on the TurboGrafix 16. and Neo-Geo.
a b à CPUs
June 24, 2009 11:17:59 PM

:pfff:  Necro Numpty.
June 24, 2009 11:18:56 PM

and rereading this post, I realize it went a bit off lol.
a b à CPUs
June 25, 2009 12:30:44 AM

SIX YEARS, SIX YEARS what were you thinking?, hell, what were you drinking? :lol: 
a b à CPUs
June 25, 2009 1:29:23 AM

Intellivision is still better!
!