New memory won't 'click' into place on Dell 2400

Hello,

You all are so knowledgeable. I wonder if anyone can tell me if you have
any hints on how to get my memory in. I have a Dell Dimension 2400 with
128MB. Need to install more memory and after research bought PNY 512MB
PC2700 DDR333 at Best Buy and was assured it would be fine.

However when I got in to snap it in (everything aligned that I can tell) I
could not get it to go in the 2nd memory slot.

Any hints would be appreciated....or did I plain just buy the wrong stuff.
I tried calling Dell support but listened to music for 3 hours. UGH!

I was so proud that I got the memory got into the machine following the
directions and then no go!!

Also how can I join this newgroup officially?

Thanks, Maureen

Be sure that:

1) the clips on the DIMM/memory socket are folded back/open.

2) the new DIMM stick is turned in the correct direction. Notice that the
socket is configured in such a way (keyed) so that the notch in the middle
of the socket fits into the matching gap on the memory itself.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim2400/en/sm_en/memory.htm

Hope this helps,

Stew

"Moesy" <preston.1@medctr.osu.edu> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> You all are so knowledgeable. I wonder if anyone can tell me if you have
> any hints on how to get my memory in. I have a Dell Dimension 2400 with
> 128MB. Need to install more memory and after research bought PNY 512MB
> PC2700 DDR333 at Best Buy and was assured it would be fine.
>
> However when I got in to snap it in (everything aligned that I can tell) I
> could not get it to go in the 2nd memory slot.
>
> Any hints would be appreciated....or did I plain just buy the wrong stuff.
> I tried calling Dell support but listened to music for 3 hours. UGH!
>
> I was so proud that I got the memory got into the machine following the
> directions and then no go!!
>
> Also how can I join this newgroup officially?
>
> Thanks, Maureen

"Moesy" <preston.1@medctr.osu.edu> wrote:

>Also how can I join this newgroup officially?

If you have added it to your "subscribed newsgroups" list in the
Outlook Express program that you're using; you already have.

[Which is a long way of saying that there's nothing "official" in
the only slightly organized anarchy that goes by the name of
Usenet, i.e., these news groups. If you have the time and
inclination, subscribe to the newsgroup news.announce.newusers
long enough to read the FAQs and links to FAQs you'll find there.
They'll explain things Usenet, if you're curious.]
--
OJ III

Hi Maureen,
What I find that helps is...remove the 128 stick and put the 512 in
that spot. Then put the 128 in the remaining slot.
It requires alot of pressure to seat these buggers...and you are always
afraid of causing damage!
(If 512Mb goes-in and you can't get the 128Mb in...leave it that way.
512 is copa setic)

b_d

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

"Moesy" <preston.1@medctr.osu.edu> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> You all are so knowledgeable. I wonder if anyone can tell me if you have
> any hints on how to get my memory in. I have a Dell Dimension 2400 with
> 128MB. Need to install more memory and after research bought PNY 512MB
> PC2700 DDR333 at Best Buy and was assured it would be fine.
>
> However when I got in to snap it in (everything aligned that I can tell) I
> could not get it to go in the 2nd memory slot.
>
> Any hints would be appreciated....or did I plain just buy the wrong stuff.
> I tried calling Dell support but listened to music for 3 hours. UGH!
>
> I was so proud that I got the memory got into the machine following the
> directions and then no go!!
>
> Also how can I join this newgroup officially?
>
> Thanks, Maureen

Here is very good information on how to install RAM from PCworld
http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,18024,00.asp

Steve

<braine_dead@lycos.com> wrote in message
> Hi Maureen,
> What I find that helps is...remove the 128 stick and put the 512 in
> that spot. Then put the 128 in the remaining slot.
> It requires alot of pressure to seat these buggers...and you are always
> afraid of causing damage!
> (If 512Mb goes-in and you can't get the 128Mb in...leave it that way.
> 512 is copa setic)
>
> b_d

Lay the old and new sticks alongside each other to make absolutely sure they
are the exact same size/configuration/pin count and the little cut outs on
the bottom are in precisely the same place. If so, push harder- but only at
the edges near the snaps.

If all else fails, there's WD-40 (no, no-- just kidding).

Ike

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

> That article is way out-of-date?!

Information is still good.....regardless of date, the basic principle is
still the same.

Steve

Thank you for all of your info. I have read the articles and got my courage
up to go and try again. I will pull out the 128 card, compare them and try
placing the 512 in the 1st slot. I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks, Maureen

"Steve" <two_one@w7.org> wrote in message

> <braine_dead@lycos.com> wrote in message
> > That article is way out-of-date?!
> >
> Information is still good.....regardless of date, the basic principle is
> still the same.
>
> Steve

The memory went in the first slot so easily and I forced the 128 card in the
2nd slot. My kid is now happy to play her new Xmas game.

Thanks for giving me your advice!

Maureen