Repairing Desktop Icons

Several of my desktop icons have been replaced with the "missing
application" icon, i.e. when you uninstall an application and the shortcut
icon remains but changed. The desktop shortcuts still work, e.g. My Computer
opens my computer. Can anyone tell me how to repair Desktop icons? Many
thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about repairing desktop icons

    Icons - Repair View

    TweakUI Icon Fix - Repairs the View 16 & 32 (Line 4)

    To use the Regedit: Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it and
    answer yes to the import prompt. REG files can be viewed in Notepad by right
    clicking on the file and selecting Edit.

    --
    XP-WNP
    Today is the first day of the

    Jim McIntyre wrote on Tue, 23 Aug 2005:

    >Several of my desktop icons have been replaced with the "missing
    >application" icon, i.e. when you uninstall an application and the shortcut
    >icon remains but changed. The desktop shortcuts still work, e.g. My Computer
    >opens my computer. Can anyone tell me how to repair Desktop icons? Many
    >thanks

    Hi Jim

    Try this: Go to C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data and
    delete the file IconCache.db. It's a hidden file so you need to have
    enabled Show hidden files if you don't normally use that.

    Then reboot and Windows will recreate the icon cache.

    Hope it helps.
    --
    Nightowl

    "Nightowl" <owl@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
    > Jim McIntyre wrote on Tue, 23 Aug 2005:
    >
    >>Several of my desktop icons have been replaced with the "missing
    >>application" icon, i.e. when you uninstall an application and the shortcut
    >>icon remains but changed. The desktop shortcuts still work, e.g. My
    >>Computer
    >>opens my computer. Can anyone tell me how to repair Desktop icons? Many
    >>thanks
    >>

    > Hi Jim
    >
    > Try this: Go to C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data and
    > delete the file IconCache.db. It's a hidden file so you need to have
    > enabled Show hidden files if you don't normally use that.
    >
    > Then reboot and Windows will recreate the icon cache.
    >
    > Hope it helps.
    > --
    > Nightowl

    Thanks Nightowl - unfortunately I could not locate IconCache.db anywhere on
    my computer - I have hidden files set to see. I should have stated I use Win
    XP Pro with SP2

    Jim McIntyre wrote on Fri, 26 Aug 2005:

    {Nightowl wrote:]
    >> Try this: Go to C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data and
    >> delete the file IconCache.db. It's a hidden file so you need to have
    >> enabled Show hidden files if you don't normally use that.
    >>
    >> Then reboot and Windows will recreate the icon cache.
    >>

    >Thanks Nightowl - unfortunately I could not locate IconCache.db anywhere on
    >my computer - I have hidden files set to see. I should have stated I use Win
    >XP Pro with SP2

    Hi Jim

    Yes, I use XP Pro with SP2 too. How odd. . . did you have Search set to
    look in hidden and system folders as well? On my computer IconCache.db
    is in C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data, though on
    Google I found some people saying theirs was in C:\Documents and
    Settings\Username\Local Settings\Application Data.

    Never mind, try this instead.

    Right-click on the desktop and choose Properties, then Appearance tab,
    Effects button. Check the box for Use large icons, and OK your way out.
    This should make Windows rebuild the icons -- you can then go back and
    uncheck the box to return them to normal size.

    Hope this helps. . .

    --
    Nightowl

Computers Microsoft Desktop Icons Windows XP