Tech: What's the dang deal? Sys80 woes.

OK, I'm still working on this Hollywood
Heat machine. Here's what's happening.
If I put the machine into "switch
test" and hold down any switch in Row 6
it will cycle through every switch in
that switch's column. For example, if I
hold down SW51 it will cycle through 61,
71, 01, 11, 21, etc. or if I hold down
SW 55 it will cycle through 65, 75, 05,
15, 25, 35, 45 etc. Does this sound
like a diode problem.. or something more
sinister?

Thanks.

Rick Swanson

>Does this sound like a diode problem.. or
>something more sinister?

I would take a logic probe on all the TTL for the switch matrix to make
sure the gates are working the way they should.

The other thing I would to is check every diode in that row and column.

Kirb

Rick Swanson wrote:

> OK, I'm still working on this Hollywood Heat machine. Here's what's
> happening. If I put the machine into "switch test" and hold down any
> switch in Row 6 it will cycle through every switch in that switch's
> column. For example, if I hold down SW51 it will cycle through 61, 71,
> 01, 11, 21, etc. or if I hold down SW 55 it will cycle through 65, 75,
> 05, 15, 25, 35, 45 etc. Does this sound like a diode problem.. or
> something more sinister?
>
> Thanks.
>

> Rick Swanson

I got the email quoted below from Clay (posted here with his permission)
and after following his instructions I found that shorting Strobe 5 with
any Return caused the switch test to cycle through switches.

Strobe 5 is associated with Z11. I replaced Z11 and everything now
works fine.

Thanks for the help Clay and Kirb.

"rick,
get the game into switch test. remove CPU board connector J6.
Take a piece of wire and short the rows to the columns and
see if the multiple switch problem occurs. if not, the
problem is on the PF. if it does still happen, the problem
is on the CPU board. "return" is rows, "strobe" is columns.

from marvin3m.com/sys80/index2.htm

Rows: A1J6 pin 10 to pin 17.

Return 0
A1J6-10
Chip Z13-12
Blue/Black

Return 1
A1J6-11
Chip Z13-9
Blue/Brown

Return 2
A1J6-12
Chip Z13-2
Blue/Red

Return 3
A1J6-13
Chip Z13-5
Blue/Orange

Return 4
A1J6-14
Chip Z14-12
Blue/Yellow

Return 5
A1J6-15
Chip Z14-9
Blue/Green

Return 6
A1J6-16
Chip Z14-2
Blue/Blue

Return 7
A1J6-17
Chip Z14-5
Blue/Purple

Columns: A1J6 pin 1 to pin 6 (there are only 7 switch columns).

Strobe 0,
A1J6-1,
Chip Z12-2-->1
Yellow/Black