Computer almost dead. What could have gone wrong?

Tags:
  • Power
  • Windows XP
August 23, 2005 3:28:04 PM

When I push the power-on button only the fans and neon fan lights go on for
a second and then everything is dead. A little bulb near the memory modules
stays lit, though. Nothing happens then when I push the on button again
until I push and hold it for about 5 sec. This makes the "memory light" go
off. I guess at this point the power is completely off. Pushing the on
button again repeats the whole process.
After numerous ons and offs and disconnections of power cord and hard
drives, etc the power may suddenly turn on and everything starts spinning
(all the fans and drives) but the machine wouldn't boot at all. The screen
is blank and there's no indication of power going to any of the peripherals.
The impression is that only fans and the drives work (spin).
Well, I did have some hardware changes (added a new sata drive) and I also
flushed my bios 2 times. First one was unsuccessful (wrong bios file), but I
didn't have a problem because I have dual bios. Second time (with the right
bios file) the flush was OK and the system booted nicely a few times. So I
don't think the bios is at fault here.
I do think something might be wrong with the power supply ( FORTRON SOURCE
FSP530watt-60GNA).
Even before the hardware changes I remember on couple of occasions not being
able to turn my computer on. It took then a few flips with the power switch
in the back to turn it on.
One more thing to mention. We have frequent power outages in the
neighborhood and my computer stays on at all times. Could those power
outages eventually have damaged the power supply. Unfortunately, I don't
have an APS unit, only a surge protector.

Thanks a lot in advance for any help.

More about : computer dead wrong

August 23, 2005 3:28:05 PM

Probably one of two things. Power supply or electrical short on a component
(Switch, HD and/or Motherboard). I'd say the power supply is the most
likely. Since you can buy a new power supply at your local computer store
for around $30, I'd say try that first. You should be able to set the power
supply up, even if you don't bolt it all the way into the case for testing,
and find out real quick.

-Frank

"Serge" <noaddress@noaddress.net> wrote in message
> When I push the power-on button only the fans and neon fan lights go on
> for
> a second and then everything is dead. A little bulb near the memory
> modules
> stays lit, though. Nothing happens then when I push the on button again
> until I push and hold it for about 5 sec. This makes the "memory light" go
> off. I guess at this point the power is completely off. Pushing the on
> button again repeats the whole process.
> After numerous ons and offs and disconnections of power cord and hard
> drives, etc the power may suddenly turn on and everything starts spinning
> (all the fans and drives) but the machine wouldn't boot at all. The screen
> is blank and there's no indication of power going to any of the
> peripherals.
> The impression is that only fans and the drives work (spin).
> Well, I did have some hardware changes (added a new sata drive) and I also
> flushed my bios 2 times. First one was unsuccessful (wrong bios file), but
> didn't have a problem because I have dual bios. Second time (with the
> right
> bios file) the flush was OK and the system booted nicely a few times. So I
> don't think the bios is at fault here.
> I do think something might be wrong with the power supply ( FORTRON SOURCE
> FSP530watt-60GNA).
> Even before the hardware changes I remember on couple of occasions not
> being
> able to turn my computer on. It took then a few flips with the power
> switch
> in the back to turn it on.
> One more thing to mention. We have frequent power outages in the
> neighborhood and my computer stays on at all times. Could those power
> outages eventually have damaged the power supply. Unfortunately, I don't
> have an APS unit, only a surge protector.
>
> Thanks a lot in advance for any help.

Anonymous
August 23, 2005 4:32:51 PM

When you turn the computer on (front switch) a signal is sent to the PS to
start. The PS has an internal test circuit that checks for a stable 12 V
and 5 V output. If valid, it send a signal to the MB and the MB continues
to request power. If this "power valid" signal is not received by the MB,
the power supply is turned off.

Hence the problem could be either the PS or on the MB. Easiest check is to
try another PS. If a known good PS does not work, try removing all cards
except the video card and try again. If no go, you have to replace the MB.
If it starts without the modem, etc. Replace one card at a time until you
find the one that is shorting down the power bus.

"Serge" <noaddress@noaddress.net> wrote in message
> When I push the power-on button only the fans and neon fan lights go on
> for
> a second and then everything is dead. A little bulb near the memory
> modules
> stays lit, though. Nothing happens then when I push the on button again
> until I push and hold it for about 5 sec. This makes the "memory light" go
> off. I guess at this point the power is completely off. Pushing the on
> button again repeats the whole process.
> After numerous ons and offs and disconnections of power cord and hard
> drives, etc the power may suddenly turn on and everything starts spinning
> (all the fans and drives) but the machine wouldn't boot at all. The screen
> is blank and there's no indication of power going to any of the
> peripherals.
> The impression is that only fans and the drives work (spin).
> Well, I did have some hardware changes (added a new sata drive) and I also
> flushed my bios 2 times. First one was unsuccessful (wrong bios file), but
> didn't have a problem because I have dual bios. Second time (with the
> right
> bios file) the flush was OK and the system booted nicely a few times. So I
> don't think the bios is at fault here.
> I do think something might be wrong with the power supply ( FORTRON SOURCE
> FSP530watt-60GNA).
> Even before the hardware changes I remember on couple of occasions not
> being
> able to turn my computer on. It took then a few flips with the power
> switch
> in the back to turn it on.
> One more thing to mention. We have frequent power outages in the
> neighborhood and my computer stays on at all times. Could those power
> outages eventually have damaged the power supply. Unfortunately, I don't
> have an APS unit, only a surge protector.
>
> Thanks a lot in advance for any help.

August 23, 2005 4:46:44 PM

Serge

The best way to determine if the power supply is at fault is to put one in
that you know works well.. if the computer doesn't boot up, and I suspect
that it won't, you are looking at replacing your mainboard..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Serge" <noaddress@noaddress.net> wrote in message
> When I push the power-on button only the fans and neon fan lights go on
> for
> a second and then everything is dead. A little bulb near the memory
> modules
> stays lit, though. Nothing happens then when I push the on button again
> until I push and hold it for about 5 sec. This makes the "memory light" go
> off. I guess at this point the power is completely off. Pushing the on
> button again repeats the whole process.
> After numerous ons and offs and disconnections of power cord and hard
> drives, etc the power may suddenly turn on and everything starts spinning
> (all the fans and drives) but the machine wouldn't boot at all. The screen
> is blank and there's no indication of power going to any of the
> peripherals.
> The impression is that only fans and the drives work (spin).
> Well, I did have some hardware changes (added a new sata drive) and I also
> flushed my bios 2 times. First one was unsuccessful (wrong bios file), but
> didn't have a problem because I have dual bios. Second time (with the
> right
> bios file) the flush was OK and the system booted nicely a few times. So I
> don't think the bios is at fault here.
> I do think something might be wrong with the power supply ( FORTRON SOURCE
> FSP530watt-60GNA).
> Even before the hardware changes I remember on couple of occasions not
> being
> able to turn my computer on. It took then a few flips with the power
> switch
> in the back to turn it on.
> One more thing to mention. We have frequent power outages in the
> neighborhood and my computer stays on at all times. Could those power
> outages eventually have damaged the power supply. Unfortunately, I don't
> have an APS unit, only a surge protector.
>
> Thanks a lot in advance for any help.

Anonymous
August 23, 2005 5:02:30 PM

Before you take on swapping the power supply, you might want to test
your Power On switch. On most motherboards the front panel switches
and LEDS connect via a two-row set of staking pins. You can lift off the
Power switch connector and use a screwdriver to short the two pins
together. If the PC powers up, then your switch is bad & not the PS.
This is a level-2 or more advanced diagnostic. If you're not comfortable
with hands-on work then I would proceed with a PS swap. There's
been a number of Power/Brown-out postings over the past few weeks.
I would stop and get a $25+ Power strip UPS and install immediately
for your PC & Monitor. It's money well spent.

> Serge
>
> The best way to determine if the power supply is at fault is to put one in
> that you know works well.. if the computer doesn't boot up, and I suspect
> that it won't, you are looking at replacing your mainboard..
>
> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>

> "Serge" <noaddress@noaddress.net> wrote in message
>> When I push the power-on button only the fans and neon fan lights go on
>> for
>> a second and then everything is dead. A little bulb near the memory
>> modules
>> stays lit, though. Nothing happens then when I push the on button again
>> until I push and hold it for about 5 sec. This makes the "memory light"
>> go
>> off. I guess at this point the power is completely off. Pushing the on
>> button again repeats the whole process.
>> After numerous ons and offs and disconnections of power cord and hard
>> drives, etc the power may suddenly turn on and everything starts spinning
>> (all the fans and drives) but the machine wouldn't boot at all. The
>> screen
>> is blank and there's no indication of power going to any of the
>> peripherals.
>> The impression is that only fans and the drives work (spin).
>> Well, I did have some hardware changes (added a new sata drive) and I
>> also
>> flushed my bios 2 times. First one was unsuccessful (wrong bios file),
>> but I
>> didn't have a problem because I have dual bios. Second time (with the
>> right
>> bios file) the flush was OK and the system booted nicely a few times. So
>> don't think the bios is at fault here.
>> I do think something might be wrong with the power supply ( FORTRON
>> SOURCE
>> FSP530watt-60GNA).
>> Even before the hardware changes I remember on couple of occasions not
>> being
>> able to turn my computer on. It took then a few flips with the power
>> switch
>> in the back to turn it on.
>> One more thing to mention. We have frequent power outages in the
>> neighborhood and my computer stays on at all times. Could those power
>> outages eventually have damaged the power supply. Unfortunately, I don't
>> have an APS unit, only a surge protector.
>>
>> Thanks a lot in advance for any help.

Anonymous
August 23, 2005 6:10:58 PM

It certainly is a cheaper test to run too, but the switch contacts would
have to be good for the fans and case lights to power up and down.. I can
see problems coming if the PS is changed too.. so easy to unseat memory..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>>> didn't have a problem because I have dual bios. Second time (with the
>>> right
>>> bios file) the flush was OK and the system booted nicely a few times. So
>>> don't think the bios is at fault here.
>>> I do think something might be wrong with the power supply ( FORTRON
>>> SOURCE
>>> FSP530watt-60GNA).
>>> Even before the hardware changes I remember on couple of occasions not
>>> being
>>> able to turn my computer on. It took then a few flips with the power
>>> switch
>>> in the back to turn it on.
>>> One more thing to mention. We have frequent power outages in the
>>> neighborhood and my computer stays on at all times. Could those power
>>> outages eventually have damaged the power supply. Unfortunately, I don't
>>> have an APS unit, only a surge protector.

August 23, 2005 8:55:01 PM

"Serge" <noaddress@noaddress.net> wrote in message
> When I push the power-on button only the fans and neon fan lights go on
> for
> a second and then everything is dead. A little bulb near the memory
> modules
> stays lit, though. Nothing happens then when I push the on button again
> until I push and hold it for about 5 sec. This makes the "memory light" go
> off. I guess at this point the power is completely off. Pushing the on
> button again repeats the whole process.
> After numerous ons and offs and disconnections of power cord and hard
> drives, etc the power may suddenly turn on and everything starts spinning
> (all the fans and drives) but the machine wouldn't boot at all. The screen
> is blank and there's no indication of power going to any of the
> peripherals.
> The impression is that only fans and the drives work (spin).
> Well, I did have some hardware changes (added a new sata drive) and I also
> flushed my bios 2 times. First one was unsuccessful (wrong bios file), but
> didn't have a problem because I have dual bios. Second time (with the
> right
> bios file) the flush was OK and the system booted nicely a few times. So I
> don't think the bios is at fault here.
> I do think something might be wrong with the power supply ( FORTRON SOURCE
> FSP530watt-60GNA).
> Even before the hardware changes I remember on couple of occasions not
> being
> able to turn my computer on. It took then a few flips with the power
> switch
> in the back to turn it on.
> One more thing to mention. We have frequent power outages in the
> neighborhood and my computer stays on at all times. Could those power
> outages eventually have damaged the power supply. Unfortunately, I don't
> have an APS unit, only a surge protector.
>
> Thanks a lot in advance for any help.

Check all of the power supply plugs on the motherboard. On mine, there is a
switch on the front of the case which turns the computer on. The wire from
this switch go to a socket on the motherboard. All started working when I
reseated this plug. The little light indicates that the motherboard is
getting power; therefore, I would not suspect that the power supply is
completely dead.

Jim
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 10:48:01 AM

First get an UPS and use it. Hopefully, you can fix the PC without dirty
power or power interruptions at this point.
Second, turn off the PC when not in use considering the history of
electrical power supplied by the utility.
The only time that mobo LED should go out is when there is no AC power
applied to the power supply. Not when the PC is just off. Except for this
anamoly, it sounds like the dual bank of the power supply load side is
lopsided. Most of the power is pulled off one side apparently. This needs
better balance.

"Serge" <noaddress@noaddress.net> wrote in message
> When I push the power-on button only the fans and neon fan lights go on
for
> a second and then everything is dead. A little bulb near the memory
modules
> stays lit, though. Nothing happens then when I push the on button again
> until I push and hold it for about 5 sec. This makes the "memory light" go
> off. I guess at this point the power is completely off. Pushing the on
> button again repeats the whole process.
> After numerous ons and offs and disconnections of power cord and hard
> drives, etc the power may suddenly turn on and everything starts spinning
> (all the fans and drives) but the machine wouldn't boot at all. The screen
> is blank and there's no indication of power going to any of the
peripherals.
> The impression is that only fans and the drives work (spin).
> Well, I did have some hardware changes (added a new sata drive) and I also
> flushed my bios 2 times. First one was unsuccessful (wrong bios file), but
> didn't have a problem because I have dual bios. Second time (with the
right
> bios file) the flush was OK and the system booted nicely a few times. So I
> don't think the bios is at fault here.
> I do think something might be wrong with the power supply ( FORTRON SOURCE
> FSP530watt-60GNA).
> Even before the hardware changes I remember on couple of occasions not
being
> able to turn my computer on. It took then a few flips with the power
switch
> in the back to turn it on.
> One more thing to mention. We have frequent power outages in the
> neighborhood and my computer stays on at all times. Could those power
> outages eventually have damaged the power supply. Unfortunately, I don't
> have an APS unit, only a surge protector.
>
> Thanks a lot in advance for any help.

Anonymous
August 24, 2005 4:03:42 PM

Thanksa lot for your input, guys.There's a lot of info to process, and I'll
take everything you said into account.
!