Status
Not open for further replies.

nibuoy

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
I'm buying a laptop for high school next year and need help choosing one

1_What is your budget?

up to 1000-2000

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
13-16"

3_What screen resolution do you want?

preferably more than 1366 x 768, 1600 x 900 is optimal

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Both. It will be replacing my desktop, but want the portability.

5_How much battery life do you need?

at least 4 hours

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

Almost none. If so, then medium.

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)

school work, movie watching, maybe some photo editing and video editing.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?

Anything more than 120 gigs (I will have an external hard drive at home)

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them.

From the websites of the company, or amazon

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?

4 years

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

DVD ROM/Writer, Bluray reader is a plus, but not necessary

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

Don't like toshiba. Lenovo, dell, apple, sony are fine.

13_What country do you live in?

USA

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.

I really like stylish computers. It would be great if i could find one in the thin and light category.

I'm thinking about the Sony Vaio Z series. What do you think?

lotri

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Regarding Question 4, a Desktop Replacement is assumed to be a heavy laptop that you won't be hauling around very often. A portable laptop is something thin and light with 10+ hours of battery life.

I don't have any personal experience with Sony laptops but I hear they're a bit expensive.

I really like Dell (3-for-3 thus far) so I'd recommend the Studio 15. I think it should be able to handle 4 hours of battery life, and it's got pretty decent resolution as well.

nibuoy

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009

Although I will use it instead of a desktop, the most intense applications will be photo editing and minor games like Civ 4.

It doesn't need have monstrous performance, although the Sony vaio z still does. I'm also thinking about the Dell studio xps 16, its not as portable as the sony, but still nice.

lotri

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Yeah, I think my next laptop purchase will be whatever the current version of the XPS 16 is. I really like the look, and hopefully the RGB display will be cheaper by the time I opt for one. =)

Plus, 16" is just about the top-end of "portability". My 17" Inspiron 9300 (OLD SCHOOL) weighs about... 7 pounds. It's weird because it feels like a ton on my back, but it's under 10 with the battery.

Tunafish

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
The Dell Studio 16 looks good, but does not offer the advanced features of the Macbook Pro. When the Macbook Pro gets updated, it'll own the Dell. The VAIO Z, however, is the best laptop I have ever seen. And I've seen a lot.

lotri

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
The Vaio Z looks really really amazing. It's prettier than the Dell. The only beef I have with the Z is the low resolution and small screen. However, it's more portable than the XPS 16 and about half the weight.

So, if you want higher resolution, go for the XPS 16. If you want something that looks really amazing, get the Vaio Z. =)

Tunafish

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010

A if you want both, get a Macbook Pro 15 inch (update expected this Spring).

Tunafish

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
Sure. It's thinner (but not lighter) it has a longer battery life, a very ergonomic multitouch trackpad. But, the VAIO Z can include a great Geforce 330m graphics card. Which is impossible so far on a Mac.

I also prefer the uber-refined and beautiful Mac OS X to the kind of refined and uber-beautiful (more than Vista, at least) Windows 7, but that'S just me and I am assuming you would like Windows because of it's variety of software (although most of them are crap and most Mac software is great.)

Remember there's no point of having a high resolution on a 13.1 inch screen. If you have an external monitor that supports full HD, then you can enjoy full screen real estate.

Tunafish

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
*If you can't wait get the Sony Z, but you will miss out on the´long battery life, thinness, multitouch trackpad, OS X integration and iLife on a Mac. The next Macbook Pro line-up is bound to have iX processors.

nibuoy

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
I know it's been a while on this thread, but i decided to start it up again because the new macbook pro update just came out.

Now would you suggest the high end 15 macbook pro or the sony vaio z

Baby_Jade

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010

k, 1st of all ur preferences dont seem fit each other.
e.g
1- u r looking for a laptop 1000 to 2000 and then u wrote down all the others that will raise up the price.

i know its not easy to make a selection from myself, u wanna get the best u can cause u wanna use it as long as possible.
so my suggestions r, first thing first:

2- try to lower ur pref.s like 13 to 16" r far away laptop sizes also if u r a GAMER which apparently u r not a serious one 13" will as death, u cant get the taste, excitement. its only possible 2 play on a 13" if u know u can continue on ur big screen when u've arrive home.

3- res.s u desire wont b hard to find on new laptops, they r most up to ur other choices so im cutting this short

4- u said u'd like 2 replace ur desktop so u better get used to the weight, do as i do, try to keep in mind that its the best u r carrying ;) a few more pnds no big deal

5- at least 4 hours, another U Turn, long time battery lifes r an option to effect the choice of biz men. they travel a lot, they need bigger screens then palms n also smaller than a regular lap top. so over 4 hours>>>>> brings u 2 smaller inches

6- again if u r not a gamer, u wont care about all the greatness of games. so as u said 'almost none' u dont need fastest processors, u dont need at least 2 GB of memory, 2 or 3gb r k but remember if u wanna b able to use all 3, u need to have 64bit system.
u can play many games at medium or low standarts.

7- regarding this option n ur thought on vaio z series, i assume u got impressed by the ad.s
i like sony vaios but its for sure they r expensive machines n
regular student job >>>>> u can even get a netbook
movie watching >>>>>> no need gr8 systems,
photo n video editing >>>> calm down! softwares u will use dont need the biggest RAMs, CPUs, rpms .. unless u wanna work on ILM or on DreamWorks
u will b able to do these all without problem with a good system control

8- u can make ur selection on 250GB, less wont b easy to find n also over 320 will increase the price with no help on ur work area

9- sorry have no best opinion

10- 4 years pretty cool regarding ur necessities cause game n big graphic areas need the best n need to b updated

11- remember blu-ray will raise the price so think twice personally if u will really want it or not

12- never used Lenova no comment, sonys i like, i used 4 HPs n had many problems, still like but wont planning to get another one, dell is cool, never heard a bad comment from friend users, apple i'll never buy, never suitable to wht i want

hope this will help n congrats on school

13- USA >>> it will b so easy to order a laptop as u wish on a selected brand, not all countries have this chance

IsabellaWinTeam

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010

Hey there,

Based on your specs, I have a few suggestions for you:

HP G62t: It has a nice 15.6 high-def display and is very portable (5.5 lbs). It also has built-in Altec Lansing speakers and a 5-in-1 digital media card reader.

Dell Studio 15: It has a 15.6" high-definition LED widescreen display and features optional Intel® Core™ i7 Mobile Processors.

If you like Sony's, the Sony Vaio NW also has great multi-media capabilities. Is there a particular laptop in the Z series that you were looking at?

Cheers,
Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team

Status
Not open for further replies.