Help installing Win 98 SE

Hi all,
I'm helping a friend with her old Compaq Presario 1235. It was running Win
98 VERY slowly so I decided to reformat and reinstall Win 98 SE as it is
probably loaded with spyware, etc. I formatted the drive, created a Win 98
SE bootdisk, booted to the floppy, and later set the bios to boot to the cd
rom where I put the Win 98 SE Cd. Upon rebooting nothing is happening. The
cd rom isn't spinning up and if I change directory within dos, I still can't
get the machine to read from the cd rom. When I booted to the floppy I chose
"boot with CD rom support". I figured this would go smoothly so I didn't
give much thought to it prior to wiping the drive. Am I missing something
here? Tia for any help.
Gary

In news:I50Ed.23383$8l.21759@pd7tw1no,
algae <boycefamilynospam@shaw.ca> opined very noisily:
> Hi all,
> I'm helping a friend with her old Compaq Presario 1235. It was
> running Win 98 VERY slowly so I decided to reformat and reinstall Win
> 98 SE as it is probably loaded with spyware, etc. I formatted the
> drive, created a Win 98 SE bootdisk, booted to the floppy, and later
> set the bios to boot to the cd rom where I put the Win 98 SE Cd. Upon
> rebooting nothing is happening. The cd rom isn't spinning up and if I
> change directory within dos, I still can't get the machine to read
> from the cd rom. When I booted to the floppy I chose "boot with CD
> rom support". I figured this would go smoothly so I didn't give much
> thought to it prior to wiping the drive. Am I missing something here?
> Tia for any help.
> Gary

The CD is not bootable
Boot from the "A" disk then go to the CD rom at the A prompt , usually the
"E"disk,
do a "Dir " find " Setup " and run that
--

Yddap
Remove guts to reply

Thanks for replying. I have tried that since the beginning. No matter what I
try I can't get to the cd rom drive. It's as though the pc doesn't know it's
there. I'm getting an "invalid drive specification error".
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Gary
"Yddap" <yddap@spyentrailsmac.com> wrote in message
> In news:I50Ed.23383$8l.21759@pd7tw1no,
> algae <boycefamilynospam@shaw.ca> opined very noisily:
> > Hi all,
> > I'm helping a friend with her old Compaq Presario 1235. It was
> > running Win 98 VERY slowly so I decided to reformat and reinstall Win
> > 98 SE as it is probably loaded with spyware, etc. I formatted the
> > drive, created a Win 98 SE bootdisk, booted to the floppy, and later
> > set the bios to boot to the cd rom where I put the Win 98 SE Cd. Upon
> > rebooting nothing is happening. The cd rom isn't spinning up and if I
> > change directory within dos, I still can't get the machine to read
> > from the cd rom. When I booted to the floppy I chose "boot with CD
> > rom support". I figured this would go smoothly so I didn't give much
> > thought to it prior to wiping the drive. Am I missing something here?
> > Tia for any help.
> > Gary
>
> The CD is not bootable
> Boot from the "A" disk then go to the CD rom at the A prompt , usually the
> "E"disk,
> do a "Dir " find " Setup " and run that
> --
>
> Yddap
> Remove guts to reply

The real question here is: How was the Windows 98 boot disk created. If it is
one of the rubbish created as part of the original Win 98 install, it is,
well... rubbish. Or at least useless in accessing a CD-ROM drive.

Go to www.bootdisk.com , download the Win 98 SE boot disk IMAGE program. Run
the program, indicating that it is to create the boot disk on a freshly
formatted defect-free floppy diskette. Use the diskette thus created to boot
the system. It contains the DOS device driver and MSCDEX.EXE required to access
the CD-ROM drive. Pay attention to the drive letter assigned to the CD-ROM
drive. From the A: prompt, type the drive letter followed by a colon, e.g.
R:

Then key in the command
SETUP

Then you will be on your way... Ben Myers

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 01:50:32 GMT, "algae" <boycefamilynospam@shaw.ca> wrote:

> Hi all,
>I'm helping a friend with her old Compaq Presario 1235. It was running Win
>98 VERY slowly so I decided to reformat and reinstall Win 98 SE as it is
>probably loaded with spyware, etc. I formatted the drive, created a Win 98
>SE bootdisk, booted to the floppy, and later set the bios to boot to the cd
>rom where I put the Win 98 SE Cd. Upon rebooting nothing is happening. The
>cd rom isn't spinning up and if I change directory within dos, I still can't
>get the machine to read from the cd rom. When I booted to the floppy I chose
>"boot with CD rom support". I figured this would go smoothly so I didn't
>give much thought to it prior to wiping the drive. Am I missing something
>here? Tia for any help.
>Gary

dos

unless the bios was wiped off the HDD..

> The real question here is: How was the Windows 98 boot disk created. If
it is
> one of the rubbish created as part of the original Win 98 install, it is,
> well... rubbish. Or at least useless in accessing a CD-ROM drive.
>
> Go to www.bootdisk.com , download the Win 98 SE boot disk IMAGE program.
Run
> the program, indicating that it is to create the boot disk on a freshly
> formatted defect-free floppy diskette. Use the diskette thus created to
boot
> the system. It contains the DOS device driver and MSCDEX.EXE required to
access
> the CD-ROM drive. Pay attention to the drive letter assigned to the
CD-ROM
> drive. From the A: prompt, type the drive letter followed by a colon,
e.g.
> R:
>
> Then key in the command
> SETUP
>
> Then you will be on your way... Ben Myers
>

> On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 01:50:32 GMT, "algae" <boycefamilynospam@shaw.ca>
wrote:

> > Hi all,
> >I'm helping a friend with her old Compaq Presario 1235. It was running
Win
> >98 VERY slowly so I decided to reformat and reinstall Win 98 SE as it is
> >probably loaded with spyware, etc. I formatted the drive, created a Win
98
> >SE bootdisk, booted to the floppy, and later set the bios to boot to the
cd
> >rom where I put the Win 98 SE Cd. Upon rebooting nothing is happening.
The
> >cd rom isn't spinning up and if I change directory within dos, I still
can't
> >get the machine to read from the cd rom. When I booted to the floppy I
chose
> >"boot with CD rom support". I figured this would go smoothly so I didn't
> >give much thought to it prior to wiping the drive. Am I missing something
> >here? Tia for any help.
> >Gary

cdrom correctly installed - cabels? master/slave?

Not sure about that. I can only assume it was working correctly when I got
it. I guess I can take the bottom off the laptop and check it out.
G.

algae wrote:
> Not sure about that. I can only assume it was working correctly when
> I got it. I guess I can take the bottom off the laptop and check it
> out.
> G.
> "Wolfram Nickl" <Wolfram_Nickl@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> cdrom correctly installed - cabels? master/slave?

When booting from the floppy with CD-ROM support, you should see the
installation of the basic ATAPI drivers for the CD-ROM scroll up on the
screen. AIRC, the word "OAK" appears on these lines of text. Do you
see this text when booting from the floppy?

You should boot from the floppy with the installation CD in the drive.
After the boot completes, at the command prompt (A:\>) type:
E:\setup.exe[enter].

Yes I'm seeing that. However when I switch to the E drive and typ setup.exe
I get a "CDR101: Not ready reading drive E. Abort, Retry, Fail." message.

Gary

algae wrote:
> Yes I'm seeing that. However when I switch to the E drive and typ
> setup.exe I get a "CDR101: Not ready reading drive E. Abort, Retry,
> Fail." message.
>
> Gary

>> algae wrote:
>>> Not sure about that. I can only assume it was working correctly when
>>> I got it. I guess I can take the bottom off the laptop and check it
>>> out.
>>> G.
>>> "Wolfram Nickl" <Wolfram_Nickl@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> When booting from the floppy with CD-ROM support, you should see the
>> installation of the basic ATAPI drivers for the CD-ROM scroll up on
>> the screen. AIRC, the word "OAK" appears on these lines of text.
>> Do you see this text when booting from the floppy?
>>
>> You should boot from the floppy with the installation CD in the
>> drive. After the boot completes, at the command prompt (A:\>) type:
>> E:\setup.exe[enter].

Does the CD mount OK on another computer? Can you read the files on
another computer?

Yes it runs fine on another pc.
G.
> algae wrote:
> > Yes I'm seeing that. However when I switch to the E drive and typ
> > setup.exe I get a "CDR101: Not ready reading drive E. Abort, Retry,
> > Fail." message.
> >
> > Gary
> >
> > "Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote in message
> >>
> >> When booting from the floppy with CD-ROM support, you should see the
> >> installation of the basic ATAPI drivers for the CD-ROM scroll up on
> >> the screen. AIRC, the word "OAK" appears on these lines of text.
> >> Do you see this text when booting from the floppy?
> >>
> >> You should boot from the floppy with the installation CD in the
> >> drive. After the boot completes, at the command prompt (A:\>) type:
> >> E:\setup.exe[enter].

> Does the CD mount OK on another computer? Can you read the files on
> another computer?

SOunds like a sick drive to me
"algae" <boycefamilynospam@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> Yes it runs fine on another pc.
> G.
>> algae wrote:
>> > Yes I'm seeing that. However when I switch to the E drive and typ
>> > setup.exe I get a "CDR101: Not ready reading drive E. Abort, Retry,
>> > Fail." message.
>> >
>> > Gary
>> >
>> > "Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote in message

>> Does the CD mount OK on another computer? Can you read the files on
>> another computer?

Beginning to think that myself. Tom I haven't swaped out a cd rom (or
anything else for that matter) from a notebook. Is it a big deal? Also what
about compatibilty with other cd rom drives?
Tia for any info.
Gary
> SOunds like a sick drive to me
> "algae" <boycefamilynospam@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> > Yes it runs fine on another pc.
> > G.
> > "Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote in message

> >> Does the CD mount OK on another computer? Can you read the files on
> >> another computer?

Deep down inside, notebook CD-ROM drives are designed very similarly. Compaq,
HP, IBM, and the others all modify a stock CD-ROM drive with a plastic front
bezel to match the notebook case and added brackets and widgets for the drive to
fit inside the notebook chassis of their design.

All this being said, you are best off to replace the CD-ROM drive with another
made for the same model of notebook or another Compaq which uses the same drive.
Replacement is usually not too hard, involving the release of some inside latch,
removal of the old drive, snapping the new one in place.

Consult the owner's manual for your model of notebook... Ben Myers

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 23:42:32 GMT, "algae" <boycefamilynospam@shaw.ca> wrote:

>Beginning to think that myself. Tom I haven't swaped out a cd rom (or
>anything else for that matter) from a notebook. Is it a big deal? Also what
>about compatibilty with other cd rom drives?
>Tia for any info.
>Gary
>"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
>> SOunds like a sick drive to me
>> "algae" <boycefamilynospam@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>> > Yes it runs fine on another pc.
>> > G.
>> > "Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote in message

>when

"algae" <boycefamilynospam@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> I'm helping a friend with her old Compaq Presario 1235. It was
> running Win
> 98 VERY slowly so I decided to reformat and reinstall Win 98 SE as
> it is
> probably loaded with spyware, etc. I formatted the drive, created
> a Win 98
> SE bootdisk, booted to the floppy, and later set the bios to boot
> to the cd
> rom where I put the Win 98 SE Cd. Upon rebooting nothing is
> happening. The
> cd rom isn't spinning up and if I change directory within dos, I
> still can't
> get the machine to read from the cd rom. When I booted to the
> floppy I chose
> "boot with CD rom support". I figured this would go smoothly so I
> didn't
> give much thought to it prior to wiping the drive. Am I missing
> something
> here? Tia for any help.
> Gary

During the boot sequence the screen displays what drive letter was
assigned to the CD-ROM drive. It is usually one letter higher than
usual because the boot disk creates a RAM drive between the last
hard drive letter and the CD-ROM drive.

--
Earl F. Parrish

Yep..it's drive E. However it won't read the cd..or any other cd...I tried
my Win 2000 cd and my Win XP cd. No dice.
G.