screen resolution problem in Dell Inspiron 3700

Hello--

I wrote earlier tonite about reinstalling my system software. I was able to
get Windows 98 (the original system software for my laptop) installed, and
now I'm having a problem getting my screen resolution set. Right now the
only options are 2 or 16 colors, and 640 X 480 resolution. There are no
other options listed, even ones that are *grayed out*.

Obviously, since this is a laptop with a smaller screen, I'd like a smaller
screen resolution, at and least *thousands* of colors. What do I do?

I am not exactly a novice on computers, but I am more savvy on Macs than PC,
so I'm afraid you'll have to be quite *specific* in your explanation!

Thanks again--

Jean in VA

Jean S. Barto wrote:
> Hello--
>
> I wrote earlier tonite about reinstalling my system software. I was able to
> get Windows 98 (the original system software for my laptop) installed, and
> now I'm having a problem getting my screen resolution set. Right now the
> only options are 2 or 16 colors, and 640 X 480 resolution. There are no
> other options listed, even ones that are *grayed out*.
>
> Obviously, since this is a laptop with a smaller screen, I'd like a smaller
> screen resolution, at and least *thousands* of colors. What do I do?
>
> I am not exactly a novice on computers, but I am more savvy on Macs than PC,
> so I'm afraid you'll have to be quite *specific* in your explanation!
>
> Thanks again--
>
> Jean in VA

There are video drivers for the video adapter installed in
the laptop. It should be in an utility cd-rom or diskette
that accompanied the laptop. If lost or cannot be found, try
locating the drivers in the Dell website and download or from
the maker of the video adapter.

You should have a Dell Drivers CD that came with your laptop. You will need to install the video drivers. If you don't have the CD, then you can get them under video drivers at the Dell site:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/devices.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&SystemID=INS_PNT_CEL_3700&category=0&os=W98&osl=EN
--

Rich/rerat

(RRR News) <message rule>

"Jean S. Barto" <jsbarto1@cox.net> wrote in message news:pcoEd.12844$B95.11065@lakeread02...
Hello--

I wrote earlier tonite about reinstalling my system software. I was able to
get Windows 98 (the original system software for my laptop) installed, and
now I'm having a problem getting my screen resolution set. Right now the
only options are 2 or 16 colors, and 640 X 480 resolution. There are no
other options listed, even ones that are *grayed out*.

Obviously, since this is a laptop with a smaller screen, I'd like a smaller
screen resolution, at and least *thousands* of colors. What do I do?

I am not exactly a novice on computers, but I am more savvy on Macs than PC,
so I'm afraid you'll have to be quite *specific* in your explanation!

Thanks again--

Jean in VA

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

There should be a Cd that came with the machine, marked Resource CD this has
all the drivers on it and you need to install all the drivers . When you run
the Cd it should auto detect all nessesary drivers and each one in the list
will have a tick by it, the 1st one to install will be the chipset drivers
and then insrtall all the others one by one