Error in Files and Settings Transfer Wizard

I've recently purchased a new laptop pre-installed with Windows XP Home
Edition. Because I wanted to keep all programs from my old computer that I
don't use anymore (it was installed with Windows Me), I tried to use the
Files and Settings Transfer Wizard. Since I don't have a direct serial cable,
I used the wizard disk, ran the wizard on my old computer, and transferred
the entire USMT2.UNC folder to an external USB hard Drive.

When I loaded up the folder on my new laptop and attempted to use the
transfer wizard, it gave me the error message: "The wizard cannot create the
data needed to save your settings. Make sure you have enough disk space
available."

This is strange, as the entire folder only takes up 3.23 GB (it contains
three files: IMG00001.DAT, IMG00002.DAT, and status) while the C Drive on my
new laptop has 16.9 GB of free space (which should be plenty). Cleaning the
TEMP folder could not solve this problem.

Is there a way to make the wizard work? The version of Windows XP installed
on the laptop is SP2, if that helps.
2 answers Last reply
More about error files settings transfer wizard

    If your new laptop drive is formatted FAT32, you'll have to
    convert it to NTFS.

    CONVERTING FAT32 to NTFS
    in Windows XP
    (by Alex Nichol, MS-MVP)
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/ntfscvt.htm

    HOW TO: Use Files and Settings Transfer Wizard in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;293118&Product=winxp

    HOW TO: Set Up a Direct Cable Connection Between Two Computers in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305621&Product=winxp

    Cables That Are Compatible with Direct Cable Connection
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310576&Product=winxp

    List of Programs Whose Settings Are Migrated When You Use
    the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];304903

    Files and Settings Transfer Wizard
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "A.M.C." wrote:

    | I've recently purchased a new laptop pre-installed with Windows XP Home
    | Edition. Because I wanted to keep all programs from my old computer that I
    | don't use anymore (it was installed with Windows Me), I tried to use the
    | Files and Settings Transfer Wizard. Since I don't have a direct serial cable,
    | I used the wizard disk, ran the wizard on my old computer, and transferred
    | the entire USMT2.UNC folder to an external USB hard Drive.
    |
    | When I loaded up the folder on my new laptop and attempted to use the
    | transfer wizard, it gave me the error message: "The wizard cannot create the
    | data needed to save your settings. Make sure you have enough disk space
    | available."
    |
    | This is strange, as the entire folder only takes up 3.23 GB (it contains
    | three files: IMG00001.DAT, IMG00002.DAT, and status) while the C Drive on my
    | new laptop has 16.9 GB of free space (which should be plenty). Cleaning the
    | TEMP folder could not solve this problem.
    |
    | Is there a way to make the wizard work? The version of Windows XP installed
    | on the laptop is SP2, if that helps.

    I converted all partitions on the laptop to NTFS, but the problem still
    exists. Weird... :-(

    >"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    > If your new laptop drive is formatted FAT32, you'll have to
    > convert it to NTFS.
    >
    > CONVERTING FAT32 to NTFS
    > in Windows XP
    > (by Alex Nichol, MS-MVP)
    > http://aumha.org/win5/a/ntfscvt.htm
    >
    > HOW TO: Use Files and Settings Transfer Wizard in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;293118&Product=winxp
    >
    > HOW TO: Set Up a Direct Cable Connection Between Two Computers in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305621&Product=winxp
    >
    > Cables That Are Compatible with Direct Cable Connection
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310576&Product=winxp
    >
    > List of Programs Whose Settings Are Migrated When You Use
    > the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];304903