Share printer XP Pro and Workgroup

August 23, 2005 4:41:01 PM

I have a few computers running XP Pro with Simple File Sharing disabled. I
connected a local printer to 'PC01' via a USB connector. I also made the
printer shareable giving it the share name LJ1000 and print permissions to
Everyone.

From PC02 and PC03, I try to add this shared network printer. 'PC01' is
visible from the other computers but the problem is that I cannot expand the
icon on show the shared printer unless I am logged into the other computers
as 'Administrator'.

If I log into another account such as John, the PC01 will be visible but the
printer simply does not expand so that I can select it. I've even removed
John from the 'Users' group and added him to the 'Administrators' group but
that does not make a difference.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 5:58:05 PM

In a workgroup setting, you need to ensure that the user account exists on
both machines (the one you're logging onto directly and the one that's
sharing the printer) and has the same password.

--
Posted 'as is'. If there are any spelling and/or grammar mistakes, they
were a direct result of my fingers and brain not being synchronized or my

Mike Brearley

"Alex" <alex9933@prodigy.net.mx> wrote in message
>I have a few computers running XP Pro with Simple File Sharing disabled. I
>connected a local printer to 'PC01' via a USB connector. I also made the
>printer shareable giving it the share name LJ1000 and print permissions to
>Everyone.
>
> From PC02 and PC03, I try to add this shared network printer. 'PC01' is
> visible from the other computers but the problem is that I cannot expand
> the icon on show the shared printer unless I am logged into the other
> computers as 'Administrator'.
>
> If I log into another account such as John, the PC01 will be visible but
> the printer simply does not expand so that I can select it. I've even
> removed John from the 'Users' group and added him to the 'Administrators'
> group but that does not make a difference.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Anonymous
August 23, 2005 6:05:20 PM

See Bruce Sanderson's article at:
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"Alex" <alex9933@prodigy.net.mx> wrote in message
>I have a few computers running XP Pro with Simple File Sharing disabled. I
>connected a local printer to 'PC01' via a USB connector. I also made the
>printer shareable giving it the share name LJ1000 and print permissions to
>Everyone.
>
> From PC02 and PC03, I try to add this shared network printer. 'PC01' is
> visible from the other computers but the problem is that I cannot expand
> the icon on show the shared printer unless I am logged into the other
> computers as 'Administrator'.
>
> If I log into another account such as John, the PC01 will be visible but
> the printer simply does not expand so that I can select it. I've even
> removed John from the 'Users' group and added him to the 'Administrators'
> group but that does not make a difference.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Related resources
August 24, 2005 4:05:48 PM

Thank you Cari.
August 24, 2005 4:09:16 PM

Thank you for your suggestion, it worked. I syncronized the passwords for
the guest accounts to 'Password' and that solved the problem. Prior to
this, I had not assigned a password (left blank) and even though the
accounts had no password, the printers were not visible. Once I set the
passwords, I had access to the printer.

Best regards,

Alex

news:o ZrC4wAqFHA.1336@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...