WGA and New Motherboard

I have a retail version of windows xp pro installed on my home built PC. Soon
I would like to upgrade and get a new motherboard. Would I be able to run
windows genuine activation with the new motherboard and continue to download
updates even if my previous genuine windows activation is registered to my
previous motherboard?
6 answers Last reply
More about motherboard

    Thomas <Thomas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I have a retail version of windows xp pro installed on my home built PC. Soon
    >I would like to upgrade and get a new motherboard. Would I be able to run
    >windows genuine activation with the new motherboard and continue to download
    >updates even if my previous genuine windows activation is registered to my
    >previous motherboard?

    Unless the new motherboard is very similar to the previous one it is a
    virtual certainty that you will have to do a Repair Install of your
    Windows XP before it will be usable. It will also have to be
    reactivated as a result of the Repair Install.

    ***** BE VERY CAREFUL *****

    1. In order to do a Repair Install you will need to have a Windows XP
    Installation CD. A "System Recovery" CD or a hidden system recovery
    partition provided by the computer manufacturer/assembler will most
    often not be capable of doing a Repair Install.

    2. If your computer has an SLP (= BIOS Locked) OEM version of Windows
    XP then you should only replace the motherboard with one that is from
    the manufacturer/assembler of your computer. Using a different make
    motherboard will almost certainly result in your Windows XP being
    unusable because it cannot be activated.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Thomas wrote:
    > I have a retail version of windows xp pro installed on my home built
    > PC. Soon I would like to upgrade and get a new motherboard. Would I
    > be able to run windows genuine activation with the new motherboard
    > and continue to download updates even if my previous genuine windows
    > activation is registered to my previous motherboard?

    You seem to be confusing two separate things. Activation and
    Validation.

    You will probably have to Activate, but that won't affect downloading
    updates.

    With Validation, who really knows for sure. MS has failed to give out
    the detailed info that it did with activation, so it would be just a
    guess what will happen.

    Don't feel bad about confusing WPA and WGA. MS has made it convoluted
    copy-protection so arcane, that I doubt there is a single person on the
    planet that understands all the intricacies of both.

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt

    One is "Showing your license to the bartender" to get a drink, the other
    is a sobriety test administered the next morning after you wake up.

    Thomas wrote:
    > I have a retail version of windows xp pro installed on my home built PC. Soon
    > I would like to upgrade and get a new motherboard. Would I be able to run
    > windows genuine activation with the new motherboard and continue to download
    > updates even if my previous genuine windows activation is registered to my
    > previous motherboard?

    Certainly. However:

    Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM installations are
    BIOS-locked to a specific chipset and therefore not transferable to a
    new motherboard - check yours before starting), unless the new
    motherboard is virtually identical (same chipset, same IDE controllers,
    same BIOS version, etc.) to the one on which the WinXP installation was
    originally performed, you'll need to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place
    upgrade) installation, at the very least:

    The "why" is quite simple, really, and has nothing to do with
    licensing issues, per se; it's a purely technical matter, at this point.
    You've pulled the proverbial hardware rug out from under the OS. (If
    you don't like -- or get -- the rug analogy, think of it as picking up a
    Cape Cod style home and then setting it down onto a Ranch style
    foundation. It just isn't going to fit.) WinXP, like Win2K before it,
    is not nearly as "promiscuous" as Win9x when it comes to accepting any
    old hardware configuration you throw at it. On installation it
    "tailors" itself to the specific hardware found. This is one of the
    reasons that the entire WinNT/2K/XP OS family is so much more stable
    than the Win9x group.

    important data before starting.

    This will also probably require re-activation, unless you have a
    Volume Licensed version of WinXP Pro installed. If it's been more than
    120 days since you last activated that specific Product Key, you'll most
    likely be able to activate via the Internet without problem. If it's
    been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone call.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Changing the motherboard is a 'major' upgrade therefore don't be surprised
    if you are asked to activate your copy of windows again. All you need do is
    activate your copy as usual. The next time you go to download either auto
    updates will update the genuine advantage software or else - more likely -
    you will be asked to allow microsoft to scan your pc for a legal copy of xp.
    It will obviously find one then you simply copy the number genuine advantage
    gives you into the box, press ok and everything is back to normal.

    --
    John Barnett MVP
    Associate Expert

    The information in this post is supplied "as is". No warranty of any kind,
    either expressed or implied, is made in relation to the accuracy,
    reliability or content of this post. The Author shall not be liable for any
    direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the use
    of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this post..

    Ron Martell wrote:

    > >I have a retail version of windows xp pro installed on my home built PC. Soon

    > 1. In order to do a Repair Install you will need to have a Windows XP
    > Installation CD. A "System Recovery" CD or a hidden system recovery
    > partition provided by the computer manufacturer/assembler will most
    > often not be capable of doing a Repair Install.
    >
    > 2. If your computer has an SLP (= BIOS Locked) OEM version of Windows
    > XP then you should only replace the motherboard with one that is from
    > the manufacturer/assembler of your computer. Using a different make
    > motherboard will almost certainly result in your Windows XP being
    > unusable because it cannot be activated.

    Chances are with a homebuilt and retail XP 1. and 2. are not applicable.

Microsoft Motherboards Windows XP