AVI Files causing Windows Explorer to hang (not respond)

Hi,
While in Windows Explorer, if I happen to look in a folder that just
contains an AVI file from my Canon S2 IS digital camera (don't even open the
AVI file), DrWatson gives me a warning (can't remember the details) and then
Windows Explorer hangs and have to do a CTRL-ALT-DEL to terminate W.E. and
error report goes out to Microsoft. (no response of course) Happens every
time.This does not happen on my notebook computer so there has to be a
problem (conflict?) on this desktop.

Any suggestions as to what is causing this problem?

Thanks,
Bob

kelly

Hi Bob,

This will help:

AVI Search Remove (Line 74)

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"Bob Hamilton" <hamilton@accesswave.ca> wrote in message
> Hi,
> While in Windows Explorer, if I happen to look in a folder that just
> contains an AVI file from my Canon S2 IS digital camera (don't even open
> the AVI file), DrWatson gives me a warning (can't remember the details)
> and then Windows Explorer hangs and have to do a CTRL-ALT-DEL to terminate
> W.E. and error report goes out to Microsoft. (no response of course)
> Happens every time.This does not happen on my notebook computer so there
> has to be a problem (conflict?) on this desktop.
>
> Any suggestions as to what is causing this problem?
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

Thanks Kelly. Will try this. Dumb question perhaps but what do I do with the
..vbs file?

Bob

> Hi Bob,
>
> This will help:
>
> AVI Search Remove (Line 74)

> All the Best,
> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>

> "Bob Hamilton" <hamilton@accesswave.ca> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>> While in Windows Explorer, if I happen to look in a folder that just
>> contains an AVI file from my Canon S2 IS digital camera (don't even open
>> the AVI file), DrWatson gives me a warning (can't remember the details)
>> and then Windows Explorer hangs and have to do a CTRL-ALT-DEL to
>> terminate W.E. and error report goes out to Microsoft. (no response of
>> course) Happens every time.This does not happen on my notebook computer
>> so there has to be a problem (conflict?) on this desktop.
>>
>> Any suggestions as to what is causing this problem?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Bob

OK I just read the header of this URL....question answered.

Thanks,
Bob

> Thanks Kelly. Will try this. Dumb question perhaps but what do I do with
> the .vbs file?
>
> Bob

>> Hi Bob,
>>
>> This will help:
>>
>> AVI Search Remove (Line 74)
>>
>> --
>>
>> All the Best,
>> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>>
>> Troubleshooting Windows XP
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm
>>

>> "Bob Hamilton" <hamilton@accesswave.ca> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>> While in Windows Explorer, if I happen to look in a folder that just
>>> contains an AVI file from my Canon S2 IS digital camera (don't even open
>>> the AVI file), DrWatson gives me a warning (can't remember the details)
>>> and then Windows Explorer hangs and have to do a CTRL-ALT-DEL to
>>> terminate W.E. and error report goes out to Microsoft. (no response of
>>> course) Happens every time.This does not happen on my notebook computer
>>> so there has to be a problem (conflict?) on this desktop.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions as to what is causing this problem?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Bob

Hi Kelly,

This VBS file solved the problem.