Problem with windows messeenger

swordfish

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
HI. i'm running winxp pro and it the msn messenger that comes with it didnt seem to work since yesterday. whenever i try to sign in with my accounts it gets stuck in the middle. and i tried to log in msn messenger using other computer it works for all my accounts though. i deleted my firewall but its not the connectiion problem.

Losers lose because they give up and not try anymore.

nja469

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2002
Maybe it got corrupted somehow, or sometimes the .net site is totally fuk'ed. Does happen occassionally.

If you're still having issues I'd simply reinstall messenger. There is a new messenger with SP1, which is out tomorrow or you can get it direct from MS now,<A HREF="http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/SP/SP1/WXP/en-us/xpsp1_en_x86.exe" target="_new"> here</A>. Also you can try to reinstall the messenger client, but I cannot find it for download alone anywhere. Try windows update for an update for it, or if need by uninstall it manually and reinstall. To do this follow the directions below:

1. To remove messenger go to START > RUN
2. Paste the command in #3 and hit "OK"
3. RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove
4. Reboot and now reinstall messenger by going to control panel > add/remove programs > window components and check windows messenger, hit ok and it will reinstall.

DaveP

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2002
You could also get the newer version of <A HREF="http://messenger.msn.com/download" target="_new">MSN Messenger</A>.

<font color=blue>GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.</font color=blue>

nja469

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2002
True, but I've done this and windows messenger still loads with windows unless you uninstall it. Even after editing the startup file you will eventually need to uninstall or it will find it's way back to your toolbar, especially if you visit a .net enabled site.

So for that reason either A.) reinstall windows messenger how I mentioned above B.) install SP1 if you were planning on it anyhow.. thus fixing the issue or C.) uninstall windows messenger and install msn messenger in its place like the guy said. But make sure you remove windows messenger first, or it will piss u off in the long run.

DaveP

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2002
There is also a download at windows update. I can't remember what it is for but it might help.

<font color=blue>GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.</font color=blue>