Dell 1710 mic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slick1958

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
I have a Dell 1710 laptop with the sigmatel audio. When I get on ventrillo or test my mic on steam or windows it is very noisy even when the mic jack is removed I tried my headset on another computer and it works great. All the sounds and audio settings are good. This happened all of a sudden. Is this a mother board issue?

lotri

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Noisy with the mic jack unplugged? That shouldn't be possible, seeing as you have no sound input. Is it just all white noise, or just distorted sounds?

If your voice sounding really really loud, make sure your mic boost is off (Volume Control > Options > Properties > Recording > OK > Advanced > Uncheck Mic Boost). In Ventrilo, you can also fine tune your outbound volume with the dragging bar.

You can also try reinstalling your audio drivers.

Slick1958

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010

Reinstalled the driver,same thing. Yes when I test the mic setting say in steam all I get is static(white noise) . Even if I remove the mic and headset jack the static comes through the laptop speakers!!(while in mic test) When I log into vent the static is heard by other users and not by me. Thanks in advance.

lotri

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
I had this problem once with a stand-alone mic on my computer. It turned out to be a wiring problem in the mic, sort of like a short-circuit. By messing around with the "shape" of the wire, I got it to stop making white noise.

If you want to try messing around with this, go to Programs > Accessories > Entertainment > Sound Recorder and mess around with your mic and the connection to your computer until it records clean sound.

Slick1958

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010

Tried that also no avail. I am thinking either a xp install or maybe the jack plugin so maybe a new motherboard as it makes white noise even when the mic is not plugged in (When testing) I will try to fix this later . Thanks for you input. will let you know what goes on

Status
Not open for further replies.