Another simple question, hehe.

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
This could also go in Games, but my question has to do with CPU. Hmm, maybe mobo.

Anyway playing UT doesn’t seem the same, and I notice the difference ever since I switch over to Intel from AMD. If in fact UT doesn’t play as well, I suppose it could be the mobo as well.

The problem I have has something to do with the mouse speed, believe that would be “input” in the UT control panel. You know if you set it to high your guy moves to fast and if set to low he moves to slow. I can’t seem to find a good medium, and because of this the game is not the same. I can’t really focus or kick serious butt, because I don’t have 100% control.

I have been fooling around with the mouse setting, also uninstalling the mouse software and trying to narrow it down.

My question is could it be the CPU? Sure you could say no, but unless you switch from AMD to Intel would you be on the same page as I. And the more I think of it, maybe it’s the mobo, because in the pass I have had very good luck with Abit mobo and UT and had a couple Asus mobo before that didn’t seem to do as well. I was thinking this wouldn’t be a problem being a newer mobo, but still might only be 90% of what I’m use to.

Mean while, while you guys are thinking I’m crazy will continual to mess with the mouse setting.

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
Hm... didn't it help to fool around with the mouse settings in windows?... That's strange... I'd try that.

Also, if there are two settings for mouse speeds in UT, and one is too fast, the other too slow, then the conclusion is rather obvious: the programmers don't know what they're doing. It is possible that the input is processed differently on different motherboards, but their lack of a more continuous spectrum of settings is a clear sign of either <i>laziness</i> or <i>incompetence</i>. Maybe a patch could help you?... Yes, try to get the latest patch for UT. That would be an idea!... Have you tried that?

<font color=red><b>M</b></font color=red>ephistopheles

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Well Intell is still just using the MMX technology while the AMD uses both MMX and 3Now! technology. Intell tend to put more stress on the AGP and AMD. I get better FPS on neverwinter nights with my amd system than with my intel server wich are both pretty much the same except chipsets involved.

F-DISK-Format-Reinstal DO DA!! DO DA!!

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Thanks for your reply Mephistopheles. I found UT to be very picky coming down to the OS and mobo, since I ran it on several different set ups. I feel I’m getting about 90% to what it uses to play like. I’m going to keep trying different inputs, but I’m starting to think it’s my mobo. Sure my system is at 100% everywhere else, accept UT is off by about 10%. That’s enough in my book to replace my P4P800 w an Abit mobo, if that is it, since I always had great results with them, but on AMD. And I do have the latest patch.

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Hmm, well maybe I’m not nuts after all. You wouldn’t happen to play UT would you? Kind of think you would have said if you did.

Syndil

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2003
I think this is probably just a probem involving the setup of a new OS, rather than anything hardware related. The problem you describe involves mouse acceleration, which is controlled by the OS. Basically this setting will increase the sensitivity of the mouse in response to a fast movement of the mouse. This can cause havok in games, because generally you want to mouse to remain at a constant sensitivity.

For example, if you are trying to spin 180 by jerking the mouse to the side very fast, then the mouse acceleration could kick in and increase the sensitivity of the mouse, causing you to spin 360. This might cause you to think the sensitivity in the game is set to high, so you of course lower it. However the acceleration only kicks in when the mouse is being moved quickly, so lowering the sensitivity will seem to make the mouse very sluggish when you are doing normal-paced maneuvers. It is a futile pursuit, since the OS is constantly adjusting the sensitivity of the mouse in relation to the speed it is being moved.

My advice is to either decrease or completely disable mouse acceleration. If you are using XP, this is not as straightforward as it sounds. Read this for more info:

<A HREF="http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,929996,00.asp" target="_new">http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,929996,00.asp</A>

<font color=white><b>_________________________________________________</font color=white></b>
Armadillo<font color=orange>[</font color=orange><font color=green>TcC</font color=green><font color=orange>]</font color=orange> at Lanwar and MML

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
2 things...are you using a wireless mouse...

second...some mobos i beleive have a bios setting about ps2 frequency or something...mine does...possibly try playing around with that...

So easy to fry yet tastes so good...
Silicon: The other, other, other white meat :evil:

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
You know what it turned out to be??? The Graphics Aperture Size was set at 32 mb in the BIOS. Once I set it back to 128 it did a lot better. I'm surprise that made such a difference, but it did.

Yap, the mouse acceleration can be a pain, and I do disable it, even uninstalled trying to figure this out.