Default Folder Sizing

I'm trying to figure out the logic for default windows sizing in Windows.

If I click on IE, and resize it, then when I reopen it, it will size to
the previous size.

If I do a New window, it will size the new browser to the size of the
original.

If I open My Computer and resize, then close, then open, it will open to
the previous size.

However, if I create an FTP shortcut in IE, send it to my desktop, open
the shortcut, resize or maximize the window, and then reopen -- it will
revert to the original size, which is based on the size of IE when it
was first created.

(1) Is this behavior unique to me?

(2) What stores the previous sizes of Windows? An ini file?...A
registry setting?...something else?

(3) Can I affect the sizing of the FTP folder favorite window somehow?
2 answers Last reply
More about default folder sizing

    You probaby have the I.E. window set to Maximize, which is not retaining your size
    settings. I.E. windows, like Outlook Express message windows, do not follow the usual
    window sizing pattern. With those two applications, and the window set as Normal, drag
    the edges to the desired size then close the window and application. All successive
    windows will now open that size. With those two programs DO NOT use the Maximize button
    for windows.
    --

    T.C.
    t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com

    "John Bailo" <jabailo@texeme.com> wrote in message

    > I'm trying to figure out the logic for default windows sizing in Windows.
    >
    > If I click on IE, and resize it, then when I reopen it, it will size to
    > the previous size.
    >
    > If I do a New window, it will size the new browser to the size of the
    > original.
    >
    > If I open My Computer and resize, then close, then open, it will open to
    > the previous size.
    >
    > However, if I create an FTP shortcut in IE, send it to my desktop, open
    > the shortcut, resize or maximize the window, and then reopen -- it will
    > revert to the original size, which is based on the size of IE when it
    > was first created.
    >
    > (1) Is this behavior unique to me?
    >
    > (2) What stores the previous sizes of Windows? An ini file?...A
    > registry setting?...something else?
    >
    > (3) Can I affect the sizing of the FTP folder favorite window somehow?

    Hi John,

    Windows inherits the size of the previous window opened in second windows.
    Also note, that having them stored on the desktop is another issue as they
    do the same. As to answer your question in part, the settings are stored
    here and can be increased by running the edit on line 2.

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\BagMRU
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags

    Restore Folder Views (Line 2)

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "John Bailo" <jabailo@texeme.com> wrote in message

    > I'm trying to figure out the logic for default windows sizing in Windows.
    >
    > If I click on IE, and resize it, then when I reopen it, it will size to
    > the previous size.
    >
    > If I do a New window, it will size the new browser to the size of the
    > original.
    >
    > If I open My Computer and resize, then close, then open, it will open to
    > the previous size.
    >
    > However, if I create an FTP shortcut in IE, send it to my desktop, open
    > the shortcut, resize or maximize the window, and then reopen -- it will
    > revert to the original size, which is based on the size of IE when it was
    > first created.
    >
    > (1) Is this behavior unique to me?
    >
    > (2) What stores the previous sizes of Windows? An ini file?...A registry
    > setting?...something else?
    >
    > (3) Can I affect the sizing of the FTP folder favorite window somehow?

Default Internet Explorer Windows XP