Which of these two speaker setups would be better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshinat0r

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
Hello all, I have just recently come to the sad realization that my current sound setup has died on me (receiver totally crapped out). Rather than just replace the receiver, I figured I would buy a whole new set of speakers, since mine are pretty old. I found two sets on newegg that look appealing, just not sure which would be the better buy for me. Here they are.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121120

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836578001

The top one has over 1400 reviews averaging 5 stars, and it's 5.1 surround sound, so it looks like an obvious choice. $350 is pretty steep for me though.

The bottom one is only 2.1 surround sound, but it's $100 cheaper. That, and it says it's 3d sound, so I guess it tries to fake surround sound? The surround sound isn't really that important to me, since I've never had it to begin with (my old setup was 2.1). My real concern is which of these would have the better sound quality, as well as better bass (I do love bass :D).

This is for my computer, and I do watch a good amount of movies, as well as listen to a lot of music, and play a lot of games. Also this is my sound card:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Rocketfish%26%23153%3B+-+7.1-Channel+PCI+Sound+Card/9180414.p?id=1218047305021&skuId=9180414#BVRRWidgetID

Yea, so not sure which one of these you guys think I would benefit from more. I have never tried surround sound before, so not sure how amazing it is and if it is worth the extra $100.

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
two speakers in front of you is decent.. but two speakers in front of you with two speakers behind you, that is a different experience entirely.
of course, sound processing really helps make a difference for either option.

truth be told, more sources of sound = higher amounts of clarity in the room.
two speakers in the front can only do so much.. adding the same speakers in the rear = more amplitude of the same details/clarity.

i dont know how each speaker set sounds.. so i cant suggest one or the other.
but i do know this is an example of 'ignorance is bliss'
because when you use sound processing to make two speakers fill up the room, the amplitude (volume) of the details and clarity can come down.
one way to bring the amplitude back up is to raise the volume.
two low powered speakers will distort if you ask them to play too loud.
therefore, its easier to use four low powered speakers to keep the volume high (this is true for all speakers until the amount of watts is higher than the listening volume wanted)

if you really enjoy audio.. it is worth it to use the extra speakers.
whether that means get the logitech that comes with the extra speakers OR buy two of the antec speaker sets, it depends on the quality of the speaker and if the watts are high enough to fill the room with sound.

using sound processing can make an amazing situation sound 'galvanizing'
or
a galvanizing situation sound amazing.
depends on which way you perceive each word.

because you need time alignment anytime there is more than one speaker when the distance between you and the speaker becomes uneven.. that is one major step, as it helps the sounds reach your ears at the same time.
its generally annoying to hear to hear sound from the front speakers at a differnt time than the speakers from the rear speakers.
the instance is an artifact.. and it is not how your room is supposed to be setup.
there is a wide-spread normal (also known as requirement) that makes your room a blank and empty slate.. its a necessity required to allow sound mastering producers to quickly and convienently drop in some audio and the final result is perfect.
if three houses have an empty slate.. the sound mastering producer can play the same music (or movie) in each house and the result is the same.
if your room lacks calibration, you will be missing out on the benefits other people hear.

like i said, it depends on how much you care about audio.
some people simply dont care, and they will plug in the speakers and press play.. they have no idea what they are missing.
its better to know what you are missing before you decide you dont want or need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.