Darrell

I've noticed when I access the Help and Support Center - Start/ Help and
Support in Windows XP, next to "Did you know?" it says it was last updated on
Monday, December 20, 2004. I'm just curious as to what the date is on other
XP users system.

Hello all . As with Darrell, i also have that same thing with my
desktop and notebook (the date not being current) or even
close in Help and Support. What gives ??

"Darrell" wrote:

> I've noticed when I access the Help and Support Center - Start/ Help and
> Support in Windows XP, next to "Did you know?" it says it was last updated on
> Monday, December 20, 2004. I'm just curious as to what the date is on other
> XP users system.

frodo

"Did you Know" not updating is a known issues, it's been around for a long
time. Sometimes it will update just fine, other times it just refuses.
IMO is has gotten better in the last month or so, mine updates
successfully a lot more often than it used to [it just updated today when
I tried it] - I have ALL winupdates applied.

Regardless, it's a minor thing, the "headlines" it brings up are pretty
useless, you aren't missing anything. As long as you can get some
KnowledgeBase hits when doing a search from within Help & Support then
its internet connection is just fine.

I "always" keep my computers updated, even going to "microsoft updates"
website every day before there monthly patches are put there. I'm
guessing it's a problem on microsofts end. I've been running computers for
about 10 years now and "Help and Support" has always "lagged behind" as far
as
the dateing is concerned. By the way, what's IMO ?

"frodo@theshire.org" wrote:

> "Did you Know" not updating is a known issues, it's been around for a long
> time. Sometimes it will update just fine, other times it just refuses.
> IMO is has gotten better in the last month or so, mine updates
> successfully a lot more often than it used to [it just updated today when
> I tried it] - I have ALL winupdates applied.
>
> Regardless, it's a minor thing, the "headlines" it brings up are pretty
> useless, you aren't missing anything. As long as you can get some
> KnowledgeBase hits when doing a search from within Help & Support then
> its internet connection is just fine.

kelly

Delete the following file.
C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\Config\News\newsver.xml

Also, go to Start/Run and type in:

regsvr32 /i mshtml.dll
regsvr32 shimgvw.dll
regsvr32 /u C:\Winnt\System32\hhctrl.ocx
regsvr32 C:\Winnt\System32\hhctrl.ocx

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

<frodo@theshire.org> wrote in message
> "Did you Know" not updating is a known issues, it's been around for a long
> time. Sometimes it will update just fine, other times it just refuses.
> IMO is has gotten better in the last month or so, mine updates
> successfully a lot more often than it used to [it just updated today when
> I tried it] - I have ALL winupdates applied.
>
> Regardless, it's a minor thing, the "headlines" it brings up are pretty
> useless, you aren't missing anything. As long as you can get some
> KnowledgeBase hits when doing a search from within Help & Support then
> its internet connection is just fine.

kelly

IMO = In my opinion

--

"Bubbytheman" <Bubbytheman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I "always" keep my computers updated, even going to "microsoft updates"
> website every day before there monthly patches are put there. I'm
> guessing it's a problem on microsofts end. I've been running computers for
> about 10 years now and "Help and Support" has always "lagged behind" as
> far
> as
> the dateing is concerned. By the way, what's IMO ?
>
> "frodo@theshire.org" wrote:
>
>> "Did you Know" not updating is a known issues, it's been around for a
>> long
>> time. Sometimes it will update just fine, other times it just refuses.
>> IMO is has gotten better in the last month or so, mine updates
>> successfully a lot more often than it used to [it just updated today when
>> I tried it] - I have ALL winupdates applied.
>>
>> Regardless, it's a minor thing, the "headlines" it brings up are pretty
>> useless, you aren't missing anything. As long as you can get some
>> KnowledgeBase hits when doing a search from within Help & Support then
>> its internet connection is just fine.

I tried your Start/Run suggestion, but the last two gave me a message that
the file could not be found. The first two worked fine.

What to do now?

"Kelly" wrote:

> Delete the following file.
> C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\Config\News\newsver.xml
>
> Also, go to Start/Run and type in:
>
> regsvr32 /i mshtml.dll
> regsvr32 shimgvw.dll
> regsvr32 /u C:\Winnt\System32\hhctrl.ocx
> regsvr32 C:\Winnt\System32\hhctrl.ocx
>
> --
>
> All the Best,
> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>

> <frodo@theshire.org> wrote in message
> > "Did you Know" not updating is a known issues, it's been around for a long
> > time. Sometimes it will update just fine, other times it just refuses.
> > IMO is has gotten better in the last month or so, mine updates
> > successfully a lot more often than it used to [it just updated today when
> > I tried it] - I have ALL winupdates applied.
> >
> > Regardless, it's a minor thing, the "headlines" it brings up are pretty
> > useless, you aren't missing anything. As long as you can get some
> > KnowledgeBase hits when doing a search from within Help & Support then
> > its internet connection is just fine.

Well... I changed the Winnt folder to windows and found those files, but
still no luck. For some reason, Help and Support Center is not seeing my
broadband connection....

"Kelly" wrote:

> Delete the following file.
> C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\Config\News\newsver.xml
>
> Also, go to Start/Run and type in:
>
> regsvr32 /i mshtml.dll
> regsvr32 shimgvw.dll
> regsvr32 /u C:\Winnt\System32\hhctrl.ocx
> regsvr32 C:\Winnt\System32\hhctrl.ocx
>
> --
>
> All the Best,
> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>

> <frodo@theshire.org> wrote in message
> > "Did you Know" not updating is a known issues, it's been around for a long
> > time. Sometimes it will update just fine, other times it just refuses.
> > IMO is has gotten better in the last month or so, mine updates
> > successfully a lot more often than it used to [it just updated today when
> > I tried it] - I have ALL winupdates applied.
> >
> > Regardless, it's a minor thing, the "headlines" it brings up are pretty
> > useless, you aren't missing anything. As long as you can get some
> > KnowledgeBase hits when doing a search from within Help & Support then
> > its internet connection is just fine.

How do I edit posts here - rather than add new posts?

Anyway, just so you know, I also tried setting Automatically detect
settings, as mentioned on your web site, and did delete the file you referred
to. Nothing worked, so far, anyway... It's nothing major, and it seems like
others have the same problem, but it is becoming a challenge to fix it....

help me <helpme@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>> Well... I changed the Winnt folder to windows and found those files, but
>> still no luck. For some reason, Help and Support Center is not seeing my
>> broadband connection....

in H&S, search for this: netbeui

do you get any knowledgebase hits? If so your H&S broadband is fine, it's
just the "Did You Know..." that is not updateing. Not a big deal.

If no KB hits on any search then it is messed up; sorry, kelly's tips
should have fixed that. Is it possible your firewall is blocking H&S:
both "Help & Support Center" and "Help Center Hosting Server" should be
granted access to the internet.

I got one hit on one machine, two hits on a second machine....

Neither updates the Did You Know Section....

But.... you're telling me not to worry about it becasue it is connectiong to
MS KnowledgeBase? It also connects to WinUpdate site through Help and
Support... So the connection is definittely there....

Am I right not to worry about it? (cool, one less worry!!!)

"frodo@theshire.org" wrote:

> help me <helpme@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >> Well... I changed the Winnt folder to windows and found those files, but
> >> still no luck. For some reason, Help and Support Center is not seeing my
> >> broadband connection....
>
> in H&S, search for this: netbeui
>
> do you get any knowledgebase hits? If so your H&S broadband is fine, it's
> just the "Did You Know..." that is not updateing. Not a big deal.
>
> If no KB hits on any search then it is messed up; sorry, kelly's tips
> should have fixed that. Is it possible your firewall is blocking H&S:
> both "Help & Support Center" and "Help Center Hosting Server" should be
> granted access to the internet.

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

help me wrote:

> How do I edit posts here - rather than add new posts?
>
> Anyway, just so you know, I also tried setting Automatically detect
> settings, as mentioned on your web site, and did delete the file you referred
> to. Nothing worked, so far, anyway... It's nothing major, and it seems like
> others have the same problem, but it is becoming a challenge to fix it....

You can't edit posts - only way to give more information is a reply to
that thread. FYI Kelly might not reply for awhile. She's stuck in the
Katrina disaster.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 07:59:14 -0700, "help me"
<helpme@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>How do I edit posts here - rather than add new posts?

The short answer is, you can't.
--
Top 10 Conservative Idiots:

frodo

help me <helpme@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I got one hit on one machine, two hits on a second machine....
> Neither updates the Did You Know Section....
> Am I right not to worry about it? (cool, one less worry!!!)

Yes, don't worry, it's very minor.

Just out of curiosity, is your machine up to date, ie, all CRITICAL
winupdates applied as of today, 1 SEP 05??

Lately (since july+aug updates) the Did You Know issue has been a lot
better, it usually does update for me now-a-days. They also changed the
headlines structure, now it's just a single "Set Search Options" headline
w/ a second "View More Headlines..." item, rather than the original
complete list of all items. Perhaps this is part of the fix, there was
conjecture it was a server related issue.

Regardless, the "headlines" are all pretty mundane! But when things don't
work right it makes ya feel like you're missing something you're entitled
too, doesn't it? My Creado: Lower Your Expectations, you'll be happier!

;-)

All updates are done, and still no luck. You're right, minor, but you're also
right that I expect things to work - even things I don't use or need...

I definitely was not meant to own a computer in today's world.... I let too
much stuff worry me....