mo

Hello - a friend of mine was given an old Dell, an Optiplex GX-1. He's got
a new Epson printer, which will only connect via USB. The USB ports on the
Dell are USB1.0 ports. Can he upgrade to USB2.0? If so, what does he need?

Thanks in advance for any/all replies!

Mo wrote:

> Hello - a friend of mine was given an old Dell, an Optiplex GX-1. He's got
> a new Epson printer, which will only connect via USB. The USB ports on the
> Dell are USB1.0 ports. Can he upgrade to USB2.0? If so, what does he need?
>
> Thanks in advance for any/all replies!

Printing via a USB 1.0 port should not be a problem at all. However, if
you need to get to USB 2.0, just purchase a USB 2.0 PCI card as others
have mentioned and install it into the computer.

"Mo" <moiraine_sedai@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in

> Hello - a friend of mine was given an old Dell, an Optiplex GX-1.
> He's got a new Epson printer, which will only connect via USB. The
> USB ports on the Dell are USB1.0 ports. Can he upgrade to USB2.0? If
> so, what does he need?
>
> Thanks in advance for any/all replies!

I have no idea how old the model is, but suspect:
He ought to be able to put a PCI card for USB 2.0 in the machine. But, he
also ought to be able to print fine with his USB 1 port. I placed a USB
2.0 PCI card in my Dimension, and it now does DVD burning to my exterior
burner six times faster. But, I still use one of the USB 1.1 ports for
printing.

--
Tom McCune
http://www.McCune.cc

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 03:19:28 GMT, Tom McCune wrote:

> But, he also ought to be able to print fine with his USB 1 port.

Agree. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I just don't see a USB 1 port
bottle-necking a printing job because of speed.

--

-Jeff B.
zoomie at fastmail dot fm

"Yeff" <zoomie@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
> On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 03:19:28 GMT, Tom McCune wrote:
>
>> But, he also ought to be able to print fine with his USB 1 port.
>
> Agree. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I just don't see a USB 1 port
> bottle-necking a printing job because of speed.
>
> --
>
> -Jeff B.
> zoomie at fastmail dot fm

For the average printer, that is clearly true. For my wide format Epson
7600, USB2 is critical.

> "Yeff" <zoomie@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 03:19:28 GMT, Tom McCune wrote:
>>
>>> But, he also ought to be able to print fine with his USB 1 port.
>>
>> Agree. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I just don't see a USB 1 port
>> bottle-necking a printing job because of speed.
>>
>> --
>>
>> -Jeff B.
>> zoomie at fastmail dot fm
>
> For the average printer, that is clearly true. For my wide format Epson
> 7600, USB2 is critical.

There have been several posts in the MS Publisher newsgroups that have found
USB 2 critical to their printing quality work with more sophisticated
printers.

Lee

katy

I was told I had to flash my motherboard so it would support a USB 2.0. Did
I get bad information or does any motherboard support a 2.0 USB?

"Patrick L. Parks" <TryThis@WontWork.com> wrote in message
> Mo wrote:
>
>> Hello - a friend of mine was given an old Dell, an Optiplex GX-1. He's
>> got
>> a new Epson printer, which will only connect via USB. The USB ports on
>> the
>> Dell are USB1.0 ports. Can he upgrade to USB2.0? If so, what does he
>> need?
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any/all replies!
>>

> Printing via a USB 1.0 port should not be a problem at all. However, if
> you need to get to USB 2.0, just purchase a USB 2.0 PCI card as others
> have mentioned and install it into the computer.

A GX1, no way. You'd need a PCI card.