Computer Trouble...

3bciq2

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2001
I recently had a power supply failure, or should I say explosion. I initially replaced the power supply, but when I rebooted I didn't get any response. The monitor wouldn't even wake, so I could see the bios load. I thought OK I'll replace the motherboard, I went with a new GA-7N400Pro-NForce2 from Gigabyte. Installed it and rebooted, still no wake on the monitor. Back to square 1 I bought a new video card, an NVidia GeForce FX 5200 w/128MB RAM. Rebooted still no bios and still the monitor doesn't recognize and awake.

PLEASE!!!!! I need help I am at a loss and my funds are bottom of the barrel. I need to know the best direction from here. CPU, Memory Modules or what???

Much appreciated for any responses!!!

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
Here are some ideas to help fill out symptoms:

1) Do the fan power up a) CPU b) GPU c) case d) powersupply?
2) Do the screen indicate that it has power?
Some screens show something like flashing "No video input"
What is the screen type (maybe someone has one and can comment)? Others just have a light.
3) Do you have a friend with a similar rig? Where you can
swap components one by one. Can you borrow a screen?
4) Are you trying to boot with very minimum components?
a) Video Card
b) Mouse/keyboard
c) One memory stick (if have more than one, have you tried swaping them.
d) CPU with heat sink and fan.
e) Diskette drive (No hard drive)
All other cards should be removed.
5) Is there any beeping? Beep codes?
----------------------------------------

The loving are the daring!

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
good ideas...except...as long as the monitor cable is grounded it will not display the no vid signal message...

I gotta say...that you CANNOT just aimlessly buy components...that is gonna get too expensive...you need to find a freind with a simular setup....and swap components...

If you are not getting any error codes with a new board then this could mean three things...short circut...power dielivery problem or the invetable bad cpu...

So easy to fry yet tastes so good...
Silicon: The other, other, other white meat :evil:

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Maybe I'm just nuts here ... but rather than spending loads of cash on parts that may or may not be the problem, why not just take it to an actual professional shop and let them diagnose it? That way you're only replacing <i>bad</i> parts...

"<i>Yeah, if you treat them like equals, it'll only encourage them to think they <b>ARE</b> your equals.</i>" - Thief from <A HREF="http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=030603" target="_new">8-Bit Theater</A>

TRENDING THREADS