What's this not a core leakage problem?

Pirox

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2003
"Intel executives say the decision to slow the advance was a conscious one"

Clock speed doesn't matter? Prescott has no problem's?

<A HREF="http://biz.yahoo.com/djus/030725/1324000654_1.html" target="_new">pfft be real man!</A>

Yep there ya go..<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by pirox on 07/27/03 02:49 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

c0d1f1ed

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2003
Clock speed does matter. But if you had to choose between a few 'simple' Hyper-Threading tweaks that could double performance -today-, or going trough all the trouble of doubling clock frequency which takes -years-, what would you choose? Design changes cost virtually no time and yields are about the same, while breaking the laws of physics does cost time and money.

Intel knows what it is doing. At a certain point extending Hyper-Threading will not be very interesting any more, and then technology will have advanced far enough to start increasing the clock frequency again. And if they decrease gate size once again they can continue adding execution units, etc...

Syndil

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2003
The core of the issue is business related, not technology related. Intel has left AMD in the dust, so there is simply no need for them to bust their humps making faster and faster chips. They want to make as much money off of the slower and cheaper ones as they can. Without AMD providing any real competition, it makes absolutely no business sense to keep churning out faster chips. All that does is accelerate the decrease in value of the slower chips, meaning they make less money on them. Until they get some more real competition from somewhere, expect Intel to pace themselves. If I was in their position, I would.

<font color=white><b>_________________________________________________</font color=white></b>
Armadillo<font color=orange>[</font color=orange><font color=green>TcC</font color=green><font color=orange>]</font color=orange> at Lanwar and MML

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
It might also be in Intel's best interest not to get AMD out of the game - that would mean the antitrust alarms would sound... And Intel might be facing the anti-monopoly laws...

<font color=red><b>M</b></font color=red>ephistopheles

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
i have a feeling amd is done for, they will creep back into the cold low performance department they were in 5 (?) years ago

wpdclan.com cs game server - 69.12.5.119:27015

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
not 5 years ago...they were not doing so bad...the k6 266 could beat the pII 233 but was slower than the pII266...they pretty much followed intel from there with clock speeds...they were never high end in 1998 but they were pretty close...

So easy to fry yet tastes so good...
Silicon: The other, other, other white meat :evil:

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
AMD does look a bit 'tired' in the desktop arena, but they can certainly challenge intel in the server industry.
the ultra efficient opteron could really threaten both the itanium and the xeon.

<b>Regards,
Mr no integrity coward.</b>

TTZX

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2003
Pirox, it's evident from your website that you're just another amd fanboy. Don't you guys have anything better to do that go looking all over the internet trying to dig up dirt on Intel? Pathetic.

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
TTZX, apparently, pirox edited his first post as to leave no mention of him having a website... (as if he really was ashamed... strange...)

What was on that site, anyway?

<font color=red><b>M</b></font color=red>ephistopheles

Syndil

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2003
Popegoldx, you must either be a child, stupid, or both. Whichever, you are certainly a troll. I am not an "Intelliot". My current primary system is in fact an Athlon machine. The only machine I am currently using that has an Intel chip is my Toshiba Portege laptop. I simply buy whatever chip has the most performance per dollar. At the time I built my current system, that meant AMD. Now Intel is in the driver's seat, and if I were to build one today, I would buy an Intel CPU. It is abundantly obvious that you are an AMD Fanboy (AMDiot? lol), so you calling someone else a fanboy is really the pot calling the kettle black. Fanboys from either camp are just gullible purchasers who have fallen victim to clever advertising, making them close-minded to anyone's products other than their beloved brand. "Close-minded" and "gullible" are two words that will never apply to me. But you go ahead and keep pouring your cash (or more likely your parent's cash I am guessing) into AMD, and keep rooting for your "team", AMDiot.

And if you had actually read the article in the first place -- probably too many words for someone like you -- you would see that Intel feels exactly the way I suspected they would:

"The market situation really doesn't warrant it right now," agrees Nathan Brookwood, an analyst at Insight 64. Intel no longer feels competitor Advanced Micro Devices Inc. (NYSE:AMD - News) at its heels, like it did in 2000 when the speed of the two companies' chips was nearly on par. It has little incentive to push harder. "AMD has not been able to challenge Intel in the last 18 months," Mr. Brookwood said.
<font color=white><b>_________________________________________________</font color=white></b>
Armadillo<font color=orange>[</font color=orange><font color=green>TcC</font color=green><font color=orange>]</font color=orange> at Lanwar and MML

TTZX

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2003
Mephistopheles, you are right he did immedaitely remove the link to his website. I went to his website to check it out and there was a section where it said MY FAVORITE THINGS or something like that. Then under CPU category he wrote "Anything but Intel". Hahaha made me crack up, what a douchebag.

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
MY FAVORITE THINGS: Anything but a via cpu sux...

lol

3 386DX-25's...12 volts...glue and some ln2 and a wicked amount of overclocking and you get a willamantee minus 36 pins, 33.75 million transistors and a couple hundred mhz... :cool: