Resize (reduce) extended partition

August 24, 2005 1:07:44 AM

Hi,

I am running XP Pro SP2, and have it set up with a primary and extended
partition. Unfortunately, these two partitions use up all the space on my
(only) HDD, although the extended partition has a fair bit of free space in
it.

Firstly, this arrangement of partitions came 'automatically' when I
installed Windows (as far as I am aware anyway).
Is this because when installing Windows, during the setup I asked it to
establish a D and an E partition, as well as the system partition. Based on
my request, did it by default put D and E (as logical volumes) in an
extended partition which consumed the remainder of the disc.
If so, would it be better in future to just create the system partition at
setup, and use Disk Management to create D and E as I see fit (maybe in an
extended partition of my choice of size, or even as their own primary
partitions)?

Secondly, what's done is done, so, is there a way to reduce the size of the
extended partition (it has loads of free space)? I have looked around, and
people seem to suggest a third party tool of some sort (Partition Magic for
instance) - but there is always a 'sad' story to be found for each of these!
Is there a 'Windows' way to reduce the extended partition size? I suspect
that I know the answer is no. If so, I might take the easy way out and just
buy an extra HDD, and plug it in! I do not really want to risk messing
things up if there is not a firm way of going with this one.

Thanks for any information and advice

Simon

More about : resize reduce extended partition

August 24, 2005 1:07:45 AM

"Simon McDonald" <simon@mcdonaldz11.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
news:o P7IY5BqFHA.616@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
>
> I am running XP Pro SP2, and have it set up with a primary and extended
> partition. Unfortunately, these two partitions use up all the space on my
> (only) HDD, although the extended partition has a fair bit of free space
> in it.
>
> Firstly, this arrangement of partitions came 'automatically' when I
> installed Windows (as far as I am aware anyway).
> Is this because when installing Windows, during the setup I asked it to
> establish a D and an E partition, as well as the system partition. Based
> on my request, did it by default put D and E (as logical volumes) in an
> extended partition which consumed the remainder of the disc.
> If so, would it be better in future to just create the system partition at
> setup, and use Disk Management to create D and E as I see fit (maybe in an
> extended partition of my choice of size, or even as their own primary
> partitions)?
>
> Secondly, what's done is done, so, is there a way to reduce the size of
> the extended partition (it has loads of free space)? I have looked around,
> and people seem to suggest a third party tool of some sort (Partition
> Magic for instance) - but there is always a 'sad' story to be found for
> each of these! Is there a 'Windows' way to reduce the extended partition
> size? I suspect that I know the answer is no. If so, I might take the easy
> way out and just buy an extra HDD, and plug it in! I do not really want to
> risk messing things up if there is not a firm way of going with this one.
>
> Thanks for any information and advice
>
> Simon

Simon:
As you suspect, there is no way for XP to non-destructively manipulate your
established partitions at this point since your two partitions span the
entire disk space of the drive.

You can, as you state, use Partition Magic, to manipulate the partitions
non-destructively. PM is a solid product and you should not fear using it in
this circumstance. Naturally, like in all things involving the computer,
things can go wrong, so it is always prudent to back up critical and/or
important data before undertaking this process.
Anna
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 1:07:46 AM

"Anna" <myname@myisp.net> wrote in message
news:o bmpthCqFHA.564@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

> "Simon McDonald" <simon@mcdonaldz11.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:o P7IY5BqFHA.616@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am running XP Pro SP2, and have it set up with a primary and extended
>> partition. Unfortunately, these two partitions use up all the space on my
>> (only) HDD, although the extended partition has a fair bit of free space
>> in it.
>>
>> Firstly, this arrangement of partitions came 'automatically' when I
>> installed Windows (as far as I am aware anyway).
>> Is this because when installing Windows, during the setup I asked it to
>> establish a D and an E partition, as well as the system partition. Based
>> on my request, did it by default put D and E (as logical volumes) in an
>> extended partition which consumed the remainder of the disc.
>> If so, would it be better in future to just create the system partition
>> at setup, and use Disk Management to create D and E as I see fit (maybe
>> in an extended partition of my choice of size, or even as their own
>> primary partitions)?
>>
>> Secondly, what's done is done, so, is there a way to reduce the size of
>> the extended partition (it has loads of free space)? I have looked
>> around, and people seem to suggest a third party tool of some sort
>> (Partition Magic for instance) - but there is always a 'sad' story to be
>> found for each of these! Is there a 'Windows' way to reduce the extended
>> partition size? I suspect that I know the answer is no. If so, I might
>> take the easy way out and just buy an extra HDD, and plug it in! I do not
>> really want to risk messing things up if there is not a firm way of going
>> with this one.
>>
>> Thanks for any information and advice
>>
>> Simon
>

> Simon:
> As you suspect, there is no way for XP to non-destructively manipulate
> your established partitions at this point since your two partitions span
> the entire disk space of the drive.
>
> You can, as you state, use Partition Magic, to manipulate the partitions
> non-destructively. PM is a solid product and you should not fear using it
> in this circumstance. Naturally, like in all things involving the
> computer, things can go wrong, so it is always prudent to back up critical
> and/or important data before undertaking this process.
> Anna

The money spent for Partition Magic would go a long way towards buying
another hard drive.
You could move the data from D: and E: to another drive, then redo D: and
E:.
--
Ron Sommer
Related resources

Simon McDonald wrote:

> Secondly, what's done is done, so, is there a way to reduce the size
> of the extended partition

What are you intending to do with the free space on the HDD (not to be
confused with the free space within the partition) that you create?
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 9:42:38 AM

Anna wrote:
> Simon:
> As you suspect, there is no way for XP to non-destructively manipulate your
> established partitions at this point since your two partitions span the
> entire disk space of the drive.
>
> You can, as you state, use Partition Magic, to manipulate the partitions
> non-destructively. PM is a solid product and you should not fear using it in
> this circumstance. Naturally, like in all things involving the computer,
> things can go wrong, so it is always prudent to back up critical and/or
> important data before undertaking this process.
> Anna

Hi, All!
Personally I prefer Acronis Disk Director
[http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/diskdirec...]. I'm
really experienced user, to my opinion it's the best partition manager.
Some time ago I used PM, but it always made boring errors, also I've
read some bad reviews about this software.
Anyway, it's only my choice, and I'd like to recommend you to try.
I must say that Disk Director cheaper than other partition softwares,
but it doesn't worse, even better. I've never seen such convenient
intuitive wizard, which doesn't allow you make any change by accident.
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 11:14:09 AM

First, you assess the size of the partition needed for XP. Input that
during the XP install. Leave the remainder of the space alone. Any further
partitioning should be done in XP, after XP is installed, because it faster
and easier to visualize.

PM, correct version of course, in my opinion, should not be used in XP.
Only from the boot CD. Any mods to a nonboot partition should be preceded
by removing ownership of that partition. Then, taking ownership again after
the mod. Just my opinion. Most PM problems originate when either combining
partitions, or doing too many mods on too many parittions in one session.
At least, that seems to be the pattern.

"Simon McDonald" <simon@mcdonaldz11.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
news:o P7IY5BqFHA.616@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
>
> I am running XP Pro SP2, and have it set up with a primary and extended
> partition. Unfortunately, these two partitions use up all the space on my
> (only) HDD, although the extended partition has a fair bit of free space
in
> it.
>
> Firstly, this arrangement of partitions came 'automatically' when I
> installed Windows (as far as I am aware anyway).
> Is this because when installing Windows, during the setup I asked it to
> establish a D and an E partition, as well as the system partition. Based
on
> my request, did it by default put D and E (as logical volumes) in an
> extended partition which consumed the remainder of the disc.
> If so, would it be better in future to just create the system partition at
> setup, and use Disk Management to create D and E as I see fit (maybe in an
> extended partition of my choice of size, or even as their own primary
> partitions)?
>
> Secondly, what's done is done, so, is there a way to reduce the size of
the
> extended partition (it has loads of free space)? I have looked around, and
> people seem to suggest a third party tool of some sort (Partition Magic
for
> instance) - but there is always a 'sad' story to be found for each of
these!
> Is there a 'Windows' way to reduce the extended partition size? I suspect
> that I know the answer is no. If so, I might take the easy way out and
just
> buy an extra HDD, and plug it in! I do not really want to risk messing
> things up if there is not a firm way of going with this one.
>
> Thanks for any information and advice
>
> Simon

August 24, 2005 2:57:54 PM

> First, you assess the size of the partition needed for XP. Input that
> during the XP install. Leave the remainder of the space alone. Any
> further
> partitioning should be done in XP, after XP is installed, because it
> faster
> and easier to visualize.
>
> PM, correct version of course, in my opinion, should not be used in XP.
> Only from the boot CD. Any mods to a nonboot partition should be
> preceded by removing ownership of that partition. Then, taking ownership
> again after the mod. Just my opinion. Most PM problems originate when
> either combining partitions, or doing too many mods on too many parittions
> in one session. At least, that seems to be the pattern.

le_temp_de says...
Hi, All!
Personally I prefer Acronis Disk Director
[http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/diskdirec...]. I'm
really experienced user, to my opinion it's the best partition manager.
Some time ago I used PM, but it always made boring errors, also I've
read some bad reviews about this software.
Anyway, it's only my choice, and I'd like to recommend you to try.
I must say that Disk Director cheaper than other partition softwares,
but it doesn't worse, even better. I've never seen such convenient
intuitive wizard, which doesn't allow you make any change by accident.

Simon:
My experience using various versions of Partition Magic over the years has
been quite different from the apparent negative experiences of the above
posters. I've used the present version of PM8 with various XP configurations
100 or more times, chiefly to manipulate partitions. I've found the program
virtually flawless in doing so. Whatever (few) problems have arisen were due
to problems with the OS, having nothing to do with PM, or (more likely) user
error in using PM. As you may know, PM is considered the "industry standard"
when it comes to partition managers. I've no experience with the Acronis
program mentioned above.

I reiterate that if you decide to use PM or similar program, before doing so
back up any important or critical files. Any of us who have worked on
computers for any time know that "**** happens".
Anna
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 4:34:51 AM

Anna,

Thanks for the confirmation and the info.

Simon

"Anna" <myname@myisp.net> wrote in message
news:o bmpthCqFHA.564@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

> "Simon McDonald" <simon@mcdonaldz11.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:o P7IY5BqFHA.616@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am running XP Pro SP2, and have it set up with a primary and extended
>> partition. Unfortunately, these two partitions use up all the space on my
>> (only) HDD, although the extended partition has a fair bit of free space
>> in it.
>>
>> Firstly, this arrangement of partitions came 'automatically' when I
>> installed Windows (as far as I am aware anyway).
>> Is this because when installing Windows, during the setup I asked it to
>> establish a D and an E partition, as well as the system partition. Based
>> on my request, did it by default put D and E (as logical volumes) in an
>> extended partition which consumed the remainder of the disc.
>> If so, would it be better in future to just create the system partition
>> at setup, and use Disk Management to create D and E as I see fit (maybe
>> in an extended partition of my choice of size, or even as their own
>> primary partitions)?
>>
>> Secondly, what's done is done, so, is there a way to reduce the size of
>> the extended partition (it has loads of free space)? I have looked
>> around, and people seem to suggest a third party tool of some sort
>> (Partition Magic for instance) - but there is always a 'sad' story to be
>> found for each of these! Is there a 'Windows' way to reduce the extended
>> partition size? I suspect that I know the answer is no. If so, I might
>> take the easy way out and just buy an extra HDD, and plug it in! I do not
>> really want to risk messing things up if there is not a firm way of going
>> with this one.
>>
>> Thanks for any information and advice
>>
>> Simon
>

> Simon:
> As you suspect, there is no way for XP to non-destructively manipulate
> your established partitions at this point since your two partitions span
> the entire disk space of the drive.
>
> You can, as you state, use Partition Magic, to manipulate the partitions
> non-destructively. PM is a solid product and you should not fear using it
> in this circumstance. Naturally, like in all things involving the
> computer, things can go wrong, so it is always prudent to back up critical
> and/or important data before undertaking this process.
> Anna

Anonymous
August 25, 2005 4:35:44 AM

Gordon,

I hesitate to say on this newsgroup, but I want to have a play with Linux!!!

Thanks

Simon

"Gordon" <gordon@gbpcomputing.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
> Simon McDonald wrote:
>
>> Secondly, what's done is done, so, is there a way to reduce the size
>> of the extended partition
>
> What are you intending to do with the free space on the HDD (not to be
> confused with the free space within the partition) that you create?

Anonymous
August 25, 2005 9:47:57 AM

"Anna" <myname@myisp.net> wrote in message
news:o Lm65wLqFHA.3192@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

> [...]
> posters. I've used the present version of PM8 with various XP
configurations
> 100 or more times, chiefly to manipulate partitions. I've found the
program
> virtually flawless in doing so. Whatever (few) problems have arisen were
due
> to problems with the OS, having nothing to do with PM, or (more likely)
user
> error in using PM. As you may know, PM is considered the "industry
standard"
> when it comes to partition managers. I've no experience with the Acronis
> program mentioned above.
>
> I reiterate that if you decide to use PM or similar program, before doing
so
> back up any important or critical files. Any of us who have worked on

Since I installed XP in NTFS format, and I had only PM 5.0 at the time,
chose NOT to use any updated version of PM. Rather my 3rd party boot
manager, system commander, comes with a partitioning program that seems
compatible with XP's version of NTFS and standard FAT32. Has similar assets
of PM.

My comments on PM are based on my observations of complaints here and other
newsgroups.
August 25, 2005 1:49:37 PM

> Gordon,
>
> I hesitate to say on this newsgroup, but I want to have a play with
> Linux!!!
>
> Thanks
>
> Simon

Nothing wrong with that! May I suggest that before you muck around with
partitions you try one or more of the distros that will run entirely from
the CD?

Knoppix is usually the favourite,
http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html

Mepis
http://www.mepis.org/

Kubuntu
http://kubuntu.org/

are also good. These will run directly off the CD without installing
anything on your HDD. A bit slower than a HDD install, but still good enough
to give you a flavour of Linux

Good luck!
August 26, 2005 3:12:03 PM

Cheers Gordon,

I have come across a couple of CD runnable versions (Suse and Linspire). I
will now have a look at your suggestions.

Thanks again for the friendly inf.

Simon

"Gordon" wrote:

> "Simon McDonald" <simon@mcdonaldz11.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Gordon,
> >
> > I hesitate to say on this newsgroup, but I want to have a play with
> > Linux!!!
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Simon
>
> Nothing wrong with that! May I suggest that before you muck around with
> partitions you try one or more of the distros that will run entirely from
> the CD?
>
> Knoppix is usually the favourite,
> http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html
>
> Mepis
> http://www.mepis.org/
>
> Kubuntu
> http://kubuntu.org/
>
> are also good. These will run directly off the CD without installing
> anything on your HDD. A bit slower than a HDD install, but still good enough
> to give you a flavour of Linux
>
> Good luck!

August 26, 2005 3:13:01 PM

Anna,

Thanks again. Good to here of the positive usage. I'll give it a look.

Thanks again

Simon

"Anna" wrote:

> [...]
>

> Simon:
> My experience using various versions of Partition Magic over the years has
> been quite different from the apparent negative experiences of the above
> posters. I've used the present version of PM8 with various XP configurations
> 100 or more times, chiefly to manipulate partitions. I've found the program
> virtually flawless in doing so. Whatever (few) problems have arisen were due
> to problems with the OS, having nothing to do with PM, or (more likely) user
> error in using PM. As you may know, PM is considered the "industry standard"
> when it comes to partition managers. I've no experience with the Acronis
> program mentioned above.
>
> I reiterate that if you decide to use PM or similar program, before doing so
> back up any important or critical files. Any of us who have worked on

August 26, 2005 3:14:02 PM

Thanks to all for the helpful advice and information.

Simon

!