Error Loading OS

clifton

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004

I bought a case and a Western Digital internal hard drive to make an
external backup. Dell 4300 on XP with Ultra ATA/100 drive. On installation,
the WD drive showed in Device Manager as only drive, and the ATA as the only
drive in My Computer. I wanted to start over and couldn't uninstall, but I
saw an opportunity in the partition/format area to erase the WD drive,
which I did not thinking that the WD was now the boot drive. So I have
erased the boot drive, and now when I boot I get message "Error Loading OS"
No help yet on either WD or Seagate site. Where else can I post or look?

Clifton, If I read your post right, it sounds like you mistakenly erased
your internal hard drive, which may have also been a western digital drive.
Is that what happened? Pat

"Clifton" <cxxmayer@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>I bought a case and a Western Digital internal hard drive to make an
>external backup. Dell 4300 on XP with Ultra ATA/100 drive. On
>installation, the WD drive showed in Device Manager as only drive, and the
>ATA as the only drive in My Computer. I wanted to start over and couldn't
>uninstall, but I saw an opportunity in the partition/format area to erase
>the WD drive, which I did not thinking that the WD was now the boot drive.
>So I have erased the boot drive, and now when I boot I get message "Error
> No help yet on either WD or Seagate site. Where else can I post or look?

OOOOPS!

"Clifton" <cxxmayer@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>I bought a case and a Western Digital internal hard drive to make an
>external backup. Dell 4300 on XP with Ultra ATA/100 drive. On
>installation, the WD drive showed in Device Manager as only drive, and the
>ATA as the only drive in My Computer. I wanted to start over and couldn't
>uninstall, but I saw an opportunity in the partition/format area to erase
>the WD drive, which I did not thinking that the WD was now the boot drive.
>So I have erased the boot drive, and now when I boot I get message "Error
> No help yet on either WD or Seagate site. Where else can I post or look?

clifton

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004

No Pat, I don't think so, but since I can't boot, I can't see what is there
now. The WD drive became the boot drive and that is what got erased so I
can't boot. The internal drive is a Seagate.
"Pat Conover" <pat conover at comcast dot net> wrote in message
> Clifton, If I read your post right, it sounds like you mistakenly erased
> your internal hard drive, which may have also been a western digital
> drive. Is that what happened? Pat
>
> "Clifton" <cxxmayer@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>>I bought a case and a Western Digital internal hard drive to make an
>>external backup. Dell 4300 on XP with Ultra ATA/100 drive. On
>>installation, the WD drive showed in Device Manager as only drive, and the
>>ATA as the only drive in My Computer. I wanted to start over and couldn't
>>uninstall, but I saw an opportunity in the partition/format area to erase
>>the WD drive, which I did not thinking that the WD was now the boot drive.
>>So I have erased the boot drive, and now when I boot I get message "Error
>> No help yet on either WD or Seagate site. Where else can I post or look?

ricardo

Clifton wrote:
Uninstall the Western Digital and see if that helps.

> I bought a case and a Western Digital internal hard drive to make an
> external backup. Dell 4300 on XP with Ultra ATA/100 drive. On installation,
> the WD drive showed in Device Manager as only drive, and the ATA as the only
> drive in My Computer. I wanted to start over and couldn't uninstall, but I
> saw an opportunity in the partition/format area to erase the WD drive,
> which I did not thinking that the WD was now the boot drive. So I have
> erased the boot drive, and now when I boot I get message "Error Loading OS"
> No help yet on either WD or Seagate site. Where else can I post or look?

clifton

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004

I could not uninstall the WD drive when I could still boot. I could
uninstall in Device Manager, but it was still there when next booted. Now I
can't boot, and disconnecting the drive from the computer does nothing.