To wait, or now to wait..

Boom42

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2003
I'm going to build a new computer soon with an Intel processor. Should I wait for the P5 or just build one with a P4?

sirak

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2003
Unless you want to pay an outrageous price, go ahead and buy a P4 now (for $175 I'd go for a 2.4c and overclock to 2.8ghz-3.0ghz). The Prescott will cost...$600 or so when it comes out?

Badger86

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2002
I disagree. Even if he doesn't buy the prescott prices will go down when it is released. The date has been released when the price cuts are coming, i believe it is october but you should check. Also listed is the new suggest price so you can decide how much you are saving.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
It's the same old argument with the PC components industry. If you wait, you'll get either better stuff for the same price, or the same stuff for a cheaper price... But when the new stuff actually arrives, then suddenly there's some <i>even better</i> stuff around the corner... and so on ad infinitum.

There's no easy solution to this really, you just have to pick a time, bite the bullet, and buy the stuff you think you need at the time.

My personal opinion would be either buy a 2.4C now and overclock it - making sure you get a good quality mobo which will hopefully support one of the first prescotts should you need it - or wait for the prescott chips to come out, and take advantage of suddenly cheaper high-end northwood chips (3.0C or 3.2C).

---
$hit Happens. I just wish it would happen to someone else for a change.

G

I think now could be a good time to buy a new computer. I dont think you should get the 1st PV to come out since they will chnage the socket not long after and your PV will be the as obsolete as the current PIV c...So you will pay more for the processor but you wont have a compatible platform for the future. I say you either buy now or you wait for socket 775...(1 year or so away)