I just installed a program on my new laptop by just downloading to my desktop
and double-clicking the exe file. It seemed to have worked.

AFTERwards, I read the ReadMe file, and it said to unzip/extract the
installation files, using a zip program, etc. etc. It also talked of setting
up which browser the program was to use.

During the installation process, I wasn't asked to unzip or extract or
choose a browser. I *don't* see Winzip on my laptop--for years I've used it
on my desktop computers--I think it was bundled. My two questions are:

1. was there possibly a Windows XP zip program that automatically did the
extracting?

2. if I purchase a new WinZip program for my desktop computer, will I be
able to use it on my networked laptop, too?

Thanks.

"MOB" <MOB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just installed a program on my new laptop by just downloading to my
>desktop
> and double-clicking the exe file. It seemed to have worked.
>
> AFTERwards, I read the ReadMe file, and it said to unzip/extract the
> installation files, using a zip program, etc. etc. It also talked of
> setting
> up which browser the program was to use.
>
> During the installation process, I wasn't asked to unzip or extract or
> choose a browser. I *don't* see Winzip on my laptop--for years I've used
> it
> on my desktop computers--I think it was bundled. My two questions are:
>
> 1. was there possibly a Windows XP zip program that automatically did the
> extracting?
>
> 2. if I purchase a new WinZip program for my desktop computer, will I be
> able to use it on my networked laptop, too?
>
> Thanks.

1. Windows XP comes with a ZIP-compatible compression/extraction utility.

2. If you buy a licensed copy of WinZip, which I encourage you to do if you
use that utility, then it is legal for you to install it and use it on your
laptop as well.

From the WinZip EULA:
"Each Licensed Copy of WinZip may either be used by a single
person who uses the software personally on one or more computers,
or installed on a single workstation used nonsimultaneously by
multiple people, but not both. This is not a concurrent use
license."

Good Luck,

Carl

Ron

"MOB" <MOB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just installed a program on my new laptop by just downloading to my
>desktop
> and double-clicking the exe file. It seemed to have worked.
>
> AFTERwards, I read the ReadMe file, and it said to unzip/extract the
> installation files, using a zip program, etc. etc. It also talked of
> setting
> up which browser the program was to use.
>
> During the installation process, I wasn't asked to unzip or extract or
> choose a browser. I *don't* see Winzip on my laptop--for years I've used
> it
> on my desktop computers--I think it was bundled. My two questions are:
>
> 1. was there possibly a Windows XP zip program that automatically did the
> extracting?
>
> 2. if I purchase a new WinZip program for my desktop computer, will I be
> able to use it on my networked laptop, too?
>
> Thanks.

Without knowing exactly what you did, or had to do, I will tell you that
Windows XP can unzip or extract most zip files.

Usually, programs are licensed for use on one computer. You should try to
find details on the vendors web site before purchasing. Check out winzip.com
for further information about WinZip.

Believe the browser the install is talking about is windows explorer for
browsing the contents of your PC. The option to install or not install
winzip to piggyback windows explorer is in the custom install option after
its selected.

The "exe" setup file automatically unzips the contents and begins the setup
installation.

Licensing and usage are application dependent. Read the license.