Windows 7 32bit to 64bit HELP!

devin93

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
Hey everyone, I need some help.

Right, basically I am currently running win 7 32bit Home Premium and I am going to go to 64bit (haven't decided on an edition yet), this is because I have 8GB RAM and obviously want to use it however I don't fancy formatting my drive because I have so much on there, I also don't have anywhere to hold my data temporarily.

Any suggestions?

Solution
If you want 64-bit you have to do a clean install there is no way around it. Sounds like you need to invest in an external drive as a backup solution, it sounds like you'd be up *** creek if your hdd was to fail. If your data is important always have least 2 copies of it.

bignastyid

Titan
If you want 64-bit you have to do a clean install there is no way around it. Sounds like you need to invest in an external drive as a backup solution, it sounds like you'd be up *** creek if your hdd was to fail. If your data is important always have least 2 copies of it.

Solution

devin93

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
Will invest in something to hold onto my data, cheers guys :)

Just a quick question, will I have to re-install everything to the 64 bit os or can I just move the installed files?

Also if I move the installed file will it run with the max amount of RAM or will it be considered as a 32 program and will always run at 4GB unless i re-install?

Traildriver

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
Software should be reinstalled. You presently have 32 bit versions of everything. Reinstalling will give you the seamless integration into a 64 bit system. Some dll files need the 64 bit version in a 64 bit system. Not to mention all those registry settings a non MS software installation creates during an install. Settings that would be lost if you just copied the installed software over. And software does not just install to one folder. There can be bits and pieces elsewhere.

Why would you changge versions ?? --- YOu are aware that the product key will work with either 32 bit or 64 bit sso all you need to do is download an iso from digital river of the 64 bit install media and then do a clean install of the 64 bit media and install using your current key ( as others have mentioned you can not upgrade when going 32 bit to 64 bit so a custom install is required - including formatting and reinstalling all programs and data ) -- BUT you should be able to use the same product key as long as you stick to the same version of win 7 !!! - (the codes are interchangeable for either 32 or 64 bit usage )

Here is a response on the Microsoft support FAQ forum :

Diana D replied on

Support Engineer

Hi,

1. To install a 64-bit version of Windows 7 on a computer running a 32-bit version of Windows, you'll need to start, or boot, your computer using a 64-bit Windows 7 installation disc or files. You can use the same product key which you use for Windows 32 bit. Product key can only be used on one computer.

Also refer to “32-bit and 64-bit Windows: frequently asked questions” http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/32-bit-and-64-bit-Windows-frequently-asked-questions

2. You can't use the same Windows product key to activate Windows 7 on more computers than the Microsoft Software License Terms allow. Usually, the license terms allow the product key to be used on only one computer.

Refer to “Activating Windows 7: frequently asked questions” http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Activating-Windows-7-frequently-asked-questions

Diana

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

devin93

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011

I had no idea, you have just saved me some cash, thanks :D

I just checked on the MS support to ensure it was correct and added a quote above with the relevent info bolded -- 32 bit and 64 bit licenses are interchangeable you just need to ensure you keep the same version (ie. Basic, Premium, Professional, Ultimate).