Alphabetizing Software Program for Palm

November 9, 2004 12:51:01 AM

Is there a palm software program that will automatically alphabetize
lists??

I have a large collection of DVDs that I would like to catalog
alphabetically.

Thanx,

Jake
November 9, 2004 12:51:02 AM

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 21:51:01 GMT, jake59@yahoo.com managed to remove
the duct tape and said:

>Is there a palm software program that will automatically alphabetize
>lists??
>
>I have a large collection of DVDs that I would like to catalog
>alphabetically.
>
>Thanx,
>
>Jake

If your Palm came with Documents to Go, you could compile your list in
Excel on your PC, sort it, then put it on the Palm.

There is also MobileDB, which allows you to build any database you
want.

--
I put 2 and 2 together and got 22.
Anonymous

In article <41faea52.871443906@news-server.hawaii.rr.com>,
jake59@yahoo.com wrote:

> Is there a palm software program that will automatically alphabetize
> lists??
>
> I have a large collection of DVDs that I would like to catalog
> alphabetically.

An Excel spreadsheet (Docs to Go) will easily do this. Put all of the
DVD Titles in the same column. You could add all kinds of extra
information (artist, type of music, etc.) in adjacent columns. You
would be using the spreadsheet as a database, which is commonly done.

You could also do this with dedicated database software. More difficult
to set up than a spreadsheet, but probably also a bit more secure. It
is a bit easy to mess up a spreadsheet if you are not careful. But if
it were me, I'd still use the spreadsheet. It is so easy to set up and
use. And it synchronizes with Excel on your PC so printing a hard copy
of your list would be trivial.

Regards,

-Doug
November 9, 2004 12:51:02 AM

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 21:51:01 GMT, jake59@yahoo.com wrote:

>Is there a palm software program that will automatically alphabetize
>lists??
>
>I have a large collection of DVDs that I would like to catalog
>alphabetically.
>
>Thanx,
>
>Jake

You might take a look at HandyShopper. You can choose to sort
alphabetically. It is much more than a shopping list program. I use it
for many different things (i.e. - lists of books I want to read and
have read...including notes for each, for lists of jobs to check out
when I was unemployed for awhile). Anyway, maybe it is not exactly
what you want, but it also may be. It is free, so you can download and
see what you think.

http://www.freewarepalm.com/database/handyshopper-engli...
Anonymous
November 9, 2004 4:29:51 AM

jake59@yahoo.com wrote:
> Is there a palm software program that will automatically alphabetize
> lists??
>
> I have a large collection of DVDs that I would like to catalog
> alphabetically.

One idea is to buy the VideoHound program from PocketSensei
( http://www.pocketsensei.com/videohound.htm ).

It's a combination movie collection manager and movie review e-book.
It has a feature that allows you to mark any movie as one that you
own, and then you can see a list of movies that you own. (You can
also mark a movie as rented, loaned out, etc., so that you can keep
track of other movies that you may have in your possession as well.)

Unless you have films that were never released in the US or DVDs
that are not feature films (like exercise videos or TV shows),
it's likely all of the DVDs you have will be in the database
already, so you just have to mark them as owned. (If you need to,
you can add movies that it doesn't know about, although they will
show up in a separate list.)

I recommend buying both the program and "REX" (the library of
reviews for the full set of movies) because it's more useful
and fun to have everything. I should probably mention that I
wrote most of the code for VideoHound, so I am not unbiased,
but I really do think it's much cooler with REX.

- Logan
Anonymous
November 9, 2004 8:19:46 AM

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 20:30:29 -0800, krewl <krewl@invalid.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 21:51:01 GMT, jake59@yahoo.com wrote:
>
>>Is there a palm software program that will automatically alphabetize
>>lists??
>>
>>I have a large collection of DVDs that I would like to catalog
>>alphabetically.
>>
>>Thanx,
>>
>>Jake
>
>You might take a look at HandyShopper. You can choose to sort
>alphabetically. It is much more than a shopping list program. I use it
>for many different things (i.e. - lists of books I want to read and
>have read...including notes for each, for lists of jobs to check out
>when I was unemployed for awhile). Anyway, maybe it is not exactly
>what you want, but it also may be. It is free, so you can download and
>see what you think.
>
>http://www.freewarepalm.com/database/handyshopper-engli...

I have handyshopper and use it often. I did not realize that you could
make alphabetized lists. I will check it out.

Thanx to you and everyone else's suggestions.

Jake
Anonymous
November 9, 2004 11:52:00 AM

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 05:19:46 GMT, jake59@yahoo.com wrote:

>On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 20:30:29 -0800, krewl <krewl@invalid.com> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 21:51:01 GMT, jake59@yahoo.com wrote:
>>
>>>Is there a palm software program that will automatically alphabetize
>>>lists??
>>>
>>>I have a large collection of DVDs that I would like to catalog
>>>alphabetically.
>>>
>>>Thanx,
>>>
>>>Jake
>>
>>You might take a look at HandyShopper. You can choose to sort
>>alphabetically. It is much more than a shopping list program. I use it
>>for many different things (i.e. - lists of books I want to read and
>>have read...including notes for each, for lists of jobs to check out
>>when I was unemployed for awhile). Anyway, maybe it is not exactly
>>what you want, but it also may be. It is free, so you can download and
>>see what you think.
>>
>>http://www.freewarepalm.com/database/handyshopper-engli...
>
>I have handyshopper and use it often. I did not realize that you could
>make alphabetized lists. I will check it out.
>
>Thanx to you and everyone else's suggestions.
>
>Jake

Yes, under Preferences/Sort ... I have my book titles sorted A-Z by
description ... works great!
Anonymous
November 9, 2004 10:08:51 PM

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 08:52:00 -0800, krewl <krewl@invalid.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 05:19:46 GMT, jake59@yahoo.com wrote:

>>>You might take a look at HandyShopper. You can choose to sort
>>>alphabetically. It is much more than a shopping list program. I use it
>>>for many different things (i.e. - lists of books I want to read and
>>>have read...including notes for each, for lists of jobs to check out
>>>when I was unemployed for awhile). Anyway, maybe it is not exactly
>>>what you want, but it also may be. It is free, so you can download and
>>>see what you think.
>>>
>>>http://www.freewarepalm.com/database/handyshopper-engli...
>>
>>I have handyshopper and use it often. I did not realize that you could
>>make alphabetized lists. I will check it out.
>>
>>Thanx to you and everyone else's suggestions.
>>
>>Jake
>
>Yes, under Preferences/Sort ... I have my book titles sorted A-Z by
>description ... works great!

I tried to sort alphabetically by choosing sort by description but it
did not seem to work. How am I supposed to sort to get it alphabetical
as I did not see alphabetical as a choice? Thanx.

Jake
Anonymous
November 9, 2004 10:08:52 PM

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 19:08:51 GMT, jake59@NOTyahoo.com wrote:

>On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 08:52:00 -0800, krewl <krewl@invalid.com> wrote:

>>>I have handyshopper and use it often. I did not realize that you could
>>>make alphabetized lists. I will check it out.
>>>
>>>Thanx to you and everyone else's suggestions.
>>>
>>>Jake
>>
>>Yes, under Preferences/Sort ... I have my book titles sorted A-Z by
>>description ... works great!
>
>I tried to sort alphabetically by choosing sort by description but it
>did not seem to work. How am I supposed to sort to get it alphabetical
>as I did not see alphabetical as a choice? Thanx.
>
>Jake

Sort by description works for me to alphabetize it. Then tap on the
A-Z and it will change from ascending to descending sort
alphabetically. Believe me, it does work. Maybe check the docs for
HandyShopper. Click on the link below and you will see an example of
an alphabetically sorted list:

http://www.freewarepalm.com/images/products/database/ha...
Anonymous
November 9, 2004 10:08:53 PM

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 14:17:15 -0800, krewl <krewl@invalid.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 19:08:51 GMT, jake59@NOTyahoo.com wrote:

>>>Yes, under Preferences/Sort ... I have my book titles sorted A-Z by
>>>description ... works great!
>>
>>I tried to sort alphabetically by choosing sort by description but it
>>did not seem to work. How am I supposed to sort to get it alphabetical
>>as I did not see alphabetical as a choice? Thanx.
>>
>>Jake
>
>Sort by description works for me to alphabetize it. Then tap on the
>A-Z and it will change from ascending to descending sort
>alphabetically. Believe me, it does work. Maybe check the docs for
>HandyShopper. Click on the link below and you will see an example of
>an alphabetically sorted list:
>
>http://www.freewarepalm.com/images/products/database/ha...

Here you go. This should help...

"The Sort Preferences (Figure 2.6) allow you to choose exactly how the
items in your list will be sorted. Virtually all fields for items can
be a sorting rule for the list, and all can be sorted alphabetically
or in reverse. Up to three hierarchal sorts can be assigned, as well
as different sort orders for All and Need views. Keep in mind, though,
that the larger a list gets, the longer it will take to switch views
when separate sorts are enabled."

copied from...

http://www.ggaub.com/hs/Preferences.html
!