MSNBC will not install. HELP!

I have the MN-700 wireless base station and MN-710 USB Wireless-G Adapter -
which I had not used for a month or so.

After repairing WindowsXP, reinstalling MN-700 I need to install MS
Broadband Networking
to gain access to my MN-710 Adapter. Repair was required after reflashing
BIOS with
a newer version.

I can configure the base station (actually I reloaded the settings stored
on a diskette),
with the Base station connected to the Ethernet connector on my computer.

But I cannot reinstall the MSBN utility. Installation starts, and then
I get the warning :
« Installation interrupted before MSBN could be installed.
You need to restart setup. » But even if I reboot, I still cannot
install the software.

My firewalls (MS and Norton Internet Security) are disabled, so is
my antivirus software.

MSBN is not present in the Control panel, software uninstall.

Thanks in advance for any help.
7 answers Last reply
More about msnbc install help

    I wish to add that it did not work either after reset.
    With MSNBC.EXE I managed to connect by closely following
    instructions.

    "Natéag" <PasPolitus@nowhere.com> a écrit dans le message de
    > I have the MN-700 wireless base station and MN-710 USB Wireless-G
    Adapter -
    > which I had not used for a month or so.
    >
    > After repairing WindowsXP, reinstalling MN-700 I need to install MS
    > Broadband Networking
    > to gain access to my MN-710 Adapter. Repair was required after reflashing
    > BIOS with
    > a newer version.
    >
    > I can configure the base station (actually I reloaded the settings stored
    > on a diskette),
    > with the Base station connected to the Ethernet connector on my computer.
    >
    > But I cannot reinstall the MSBN utility. Installation starts, and then
    > I get the warning :
    > « Installation interrupted before MSBN could be installed.
    > You need to restart setup. » But even if I reboot, I still cannot
    > install the software.
    >
    > My firewalls (MS and Norton Internet Security) are disabled, so is
    > my antivirus software.
    >
    > MSBN is not present in the Control panel, software uninstall.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any help.

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware,microsoft.public.mshardware.product (More info?)

    I have finally managed to configure 700 and 710 so that I can now
    connect to the Internet.
    Only remaining problem, a software one, is that I cannot
    see available connections. The window, including the theAdvanced button
    is partly greyed out and does not show any information.

    If only I could install the MS software...

    > I wish to add that it did not work either after reset.
    > With MSNBC.EXE I usually managed to connect by closely following
    > instructions.
    >

    > "Natéag" <PasPolitus@nowhere.com> a écrit dans le message de
    > > I have the MN-700 wireless base station and MN-710 USB Wireless-G
    > Adapter -
    > > which I had not used for a month or so.
    > >
    > > After repairing WindowsXP, reinstalling MN-700 I need to install MS
    > > Broadband Networking
    > > to gain access to my MN-710 Adapter. Repair was required after
    reflashing
    > > BIOS with
    > > a newer version.
    > >
    > > I can configure the base station (actually I reloaded the settings
    stored
    > > on a diskette),
    > > with the Base station connected to the Ethernet connector on my
    computer.

    > > But I cannot reinstall the MSBN utility. Installation starts, and then
    > > I get the warning :
    > > « Installation interrupted before MSBN could be installed.
    > > You need to restart setup. » But even if I reboot, I still cannot
    > > install the software.
    > >
    > > My firewalls (MS and Norton Internet Security) are disabled, so is
    > > my antivirus software.
    > >
    > > MSBN is not present in the Control panel, software uninstall.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance for any help.

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware,microsoft.public.mshardware.product (More info?)

    You don't need the software on a Windows XP computer. It is only needed
    to configure wireless connections on older versions of Windows that
    don't support WEP.

    Natéag wrote:
    > I have finally managed to configure 700 and 710 so that I can now
    > connect to the Internet.
    > Only remaining problem, a software one, is that I cannot
    > see available connections. The window, including the theAdvanced button
    > is partly greyed out and does not show any information.
    >
    > If only I could install the MS software...
    >

    > "Natéag" <PasPolitus@nowhere.com> a écrit dans le message de
    >
    >>I wish to add that it did not work either after reset.
    >>With MSNBC.EXE I usually managed to connect by closely following
    >>instructions.
    >>

    >>"Natéag" <PasPolitus@nowhere.com> a écrit dans le message de
    >>
    >>>I have the MN-700 wireless base station and MN-710 USB Wireless-G
    >>
    >>Adapter -
    >>
    >>>which I had not used for a month or so.
    >>>
    >>>After repairing WindowsXP, reinstalling MN-700 I need to install MS
    >>>Broadband Networking
    >>>to gain access to my MN-710 Adapter. Repair was required after
    >
    > reflashing
    >
    >>>BIOS with
    >>>a newer version.
    >>>
    >>>I can configure the base station (actually I reloaded the settings
    >
    > stored
    >
    >>>on a diskette),
    >>>with the Base station connected to the Ethernet connector on my
    >
    > computer.
    >
    >>>But I cannot reinstall the MSBN utility. Installation starts, and then
    >>>I get the warning :
    >>>« Installation interrupted before MSBN could be installed.
    >>>You need to restart setup. » But even if I reboot, I still cannot
    >>>install the software.
    >>>
    >>>My firewalls (MS and Norton Internet Security) are disabled, so is
    >>>my antivirus software.
    >>>
    >>>MSBN is not present in the Control panel, software uninstall.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks in advance for any help.

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware,microsoft.public.mshardware.product (More info?)

    Problem is after installing, uninstalling the software
    the WindowsXp utility is no longer available, even
    after I repair the system from the WinXP installation
    CD.

    "joker" <no-spam@netzero.com> a écrit dans le message de
    > You don't need the software on a Windows XP computer. It is only needed
    > to configure wireless connections on older versions of Windows that
    > don't support WEP.
    >
    > Natéag wrote:
    > > I have finally managed to configure 700 and 710 so that I can now
    > > connect to the Internet.
    > > Only remaining problem, a software one, is that I cannot
    > > see available connections. The window, including the theAdvanced button
    > > is partly greyed out and does not show any information.
    > >
    > > If only I could install the MS software...
    > >

    > > "Natéag" <PasPolitus@nowhere.com> a écrit dans le message de
    > >
    > >>I wish to add that it did not work either after reset.
    > >>With MSNBC.EXE I usually managed to connect by closely following
    > >>instructions.
    > >>

    > >>"Natéag" <PasPolitus@nowhere.com> a écrit dans le message de

    > >>Adapter -

    > > reflashing

    > > stored

    > > computer.

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware,microsoft.public.mshardware.product (More info?)

    The utility I referred to was the Wireless configuration tab that
    was available from the connection's properties (Advanced).

    > Problem is after installing, uninstalling the software
    > the WindowsXp utility is no longer available, even
    > after I repair the system from the WinXP installation
    > CD.
    >

    > "joker" <no-spam@netzero.com> a écrit dans le message de
    > > You don't need the software on a Windows XP computer. It is only needed
    > > to configure wireless connections on older versions of Windows that
    > > don't support WEP.
    > >
    > > Natéag wrote:
    > > > I have finally managed to configure 700 and 710 so that I can now
    > > > connect to the Internet.
    > > > Only remaining problem, a software one, is that I cannot
    > > > see available connections. The window, including the theAdvanced
    button
    > > > is partly greyed out and does not show any information.
    > > >
    > > > If only I could install the MS software...
    > > >

    > > > "Natéag" <PasPolitus@nowhere.com> a écrit dans le message de

    > > > reflashing

    > > > stored

    > > > computer.

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware,microsoft.public.mshardware.product (More info?)

    Missing the wireless tab means that your network card drivers &/or one
    or more of the following services SSDP Discovery Service, Universal Plug
    and Play Device Host, or wireless zero configuration is/are damaged.

    So make sure that the following services are started & have the startup
    type of automatic.

    SSDP Discovery Service
    Universal Plug and Play Device Host
    wireless zero configuration

    If the doesn't work then roll back your drivers. You do that from
    inside device manager.

    Natéag wrote:
    > The utility I referred to was the Wireless configuration tab that
    > was available from the connection's properties (Advanced).
    >
    > "Natéag" <PasPolitus@nowhere.com> a écrit dans le message de
    >
    >>Problem is after installing, uninstalling the software
    >>the WindowsXp utility is no longer available, even
    >>after I repair the system from the WinXP installation
    >>CD.
    >>

    >>"joker" <no-spam@netzero.com> a écrit dans le message de
    >>
    >>>You don't need the software on a Windows XP computer. It is only needed
    >>>to configure wireless connections on older versions of Windows that
    >>>don't support WEP.

    > button

    > then

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware,microsoft.public.mshardware.product (More info?)

    Thanks. I will try all that.The Tab disappeared when I first installed

    (MS Broadband Networking, but did not reappear after I deleted
    it. I think it had by then ceased to execute.)

    > Missing the wireless tab means that your network card drivers &/or one
    > or more of the following services SSDP Discovery Service, Universal Plug
    > and Play Device Host, or wireless zero configuration is/are damaged.
    >
    > So make sure that the following services are started & have the startup
    > type of automatic.
    >
    > SSDP Discovery Service
    > Universal Plug and Play Device Host
    > wireless zero configuration
    >
    > If the doesn't work then roll back your drivers. You do that from
    > inside device manager.
    >

    > Natéag wrote:
    > > The utility I referred to was the Wireless configuration tab that
    > > was available from the connection's properties (Advanced).
    > >
    > > "Natéag" <PasPolitus@nowhere.com> a écrit dans le message de
    > >
    > >>Problem is after installing, uninstalling the software
    > >>the WindowsXp utility is no longer available, even
    > >>after I repair the system from the WinXP installation
    > >>CD.
    > >>

    > >>"joker" <no-spam@netzero.com> a écrit dans le message de

    > > button

    > > then