2.66 to 3.06 upgrade

I have a Dimension 4550 that came with a 2.66/533 processor. According to
the Dell site, I can upgrade to a 3.06. That makes sense, so far.

Now the confusing part. I've been watching ebay and it seems like there are
two processors. The 'standard' 3.06 that seems to run in the $200 range.

Not willing to pay that.

BUT.

Isn't there always a but?

There are lots of Mobile 3.06 processors for considerably less. 478 pin
(according to the auctions).

Will these work?

Thanks in advance.

Tom

Mobile processors are for laptops. Upgrading a CPU is not a cost effective
upgrade. Instead, save your money and consider this:

Dimension 4700 P4-2.8Ghz Desktop $449 shipped Includes Latest Tech: DDR2,
PCI Express, Serial ATA HD
Dimension 4700 P4 520 2.8Ghz/800Mhz Bus Desktop Free 512MB DDR2-400/40GB
Serial ATA HD, Free 48x CDRW, Ethernet, 6 months ISP, Word Perfect, XP Home
SP2, 2yr warranty $449 after $150 rebate, shipped free.

Ted Zieglar

>I have a Dimension 4550 that came with a 2.66/533 processor. According to
>the Dell site, I can upgrade to a 3.06. That makes sense, so far.
>
> Now the confusing part. I've been watching ebay and it seems like there
> are two processors. The 'standard' 3.06 that seems to run in the $200
> range.
>
> Not willing to pay that.
>
> BUT.
>
> Isn't there always a but?
>
> There are lots of Mobile 3.06 processors for considerably less. 478 pin
> (according to the auctions).
>
> Will these work?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Tom

Oh I know all that. I've got a 1/2 dozen Dells in the house including a
nice, new 8400. If I could get a CPU cheap, then .....

What prevents a Mobile CPU from working?

Tom

Tom Scales wrote:
> Oh I know all that. I've got a 1/2 dozen Dells in the house
> including a nice, new 8400. If I could get a CPU cheap, then .....
>
> What prevents a Mobile CPU from working?
>
> Tom
>> Mobile processors are for laptops. Upgrading a CPU is not a cost
>> effective upgrade. Instead, save your money and consider this:
>>
>> Dimension 4700 P4-2.8Ghz Desktop $449 shipped Includes Latest Tech:
>> DDR2, PCI Express, Serial ATA HD
>> Dimension 4700 P4 520 2.8Ghz/800Mhz Bus Desktop Free 512MB
>> DDR2-400/40GB Serial ATA HD, Free 48x CDRW, Ethernet, 6 months ISP,
>> Word Perfect, XP Home SP2, 2yr warranty $449 after $150 rebate,
>> shipped free. Ted Zieglar
>>
>> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
>>> I have a Dimension 4550 that came with a 2.66/533 processor.
>>> According to the Dell site, I can upgrade to a 3.06. That makes
>>> sense, so far. Now the confusing part. I've been watching ebay and
>>> it seems like
>>> there are two processors. The 'standard' 3.06 that seems to run in
>>> the $200 range.
>>>
>>> Not willing to pay that.
>>>
>>> BUT.
>>>
>>> Isn't there always a but?
>>>
>>> There are lots of Mobile 3.06 processors for considerably less. 478
>>> pin (according to the auctions).
>>>
>>> Will these work?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>>
>>> Tom

The mainboard has to supply a lower voltage for the mobile processor.
Check www.intel.com. I wonder why so many mobile CPUs available...

> Tom Scales wrote:

> The mainboard has to supply a lower voltage for the mobile processor.
> Check www.intel.com. I wonder why so many mobile CPUs available...

That's what I suspected.

>> Tom Scales wrote:
>
>> The mainboard has to supply a lower voltage for the mobile processor.
>> Check www.intel.com. I wonder why so many mobile CPUs available...

> That's what I suspected.

The mobile chip (SL77P) runs from somewhere around 1.2v up to 1.55 and has
speed step - and there's another mobile 3.06 (SL7DT) that runs 1.25 to 1.4v
(http://www.cpu-world.com/sspec/Mobile%20Pentium%204.html) , whereas the *3*
desktop chips default at slightly different volatages. (
http://www.cpu-world.com/sspec/Pentium%204.html ).

All the desktop chips are 0.13nm Northwoods, so I'm not quite sure why the
differences....

Stew

"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:
>I have a Dimension 4550 that came with a 2.66/533 processor. According to
>the Dell site, I can upgrade to a 3.06. That makes sense, so far.

You'll never notice a 15% increase in CPU core frequency. The FSB,
the memory, the internal busses, and everything else will still be
running at the 'old' speeds, and it's (IMHO) a waste of money. Save
up for the dual-CPU, 1GHz FSB, quad-banked memory with integrated
gigabit, PCI-x, and the new SLI video cards that are coming out next
year. 8*)

<William P.N. Smith> wrote in message
> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:
>>I have a Dimension 4550 that came with a 2.66/533 processor. According to
>>the Dell site, I can upgrade to a 3.06. That makes sense, so far.
>
> You'll never notice a 15% increase in CPU core frequency. The FSB,
> the memory, the internal busses, and everything else will still be
> running at the 'old' speeds, and it's (IMHO) a waste of money. Save
> up for the dual-CPU, 1GHz FSB, quad-banked memory with integrated
> gigabit, PCI-x, and the new SLI video cards that are coming out next
> year. 8*)

I'm actually waiting for the dual core as well, as the LGA775 leaves me void
of enthusiasm.....

Stew

Craig

<William P.N. Smith> wrote in message
> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:
>>I have a Dimension 4550 that came with a 2.66/533 processor. According to
>>the Dell site, I can upgrade to a 3.06. That makes sense, so far.
>
> You'll never notice a 15% increase in CPU core frequency. The FSB,
> the memory, the internal busses, and everything else will still be
> running at the 'old' speeds, and it's (IMHO) a waste of money. Save
> up for the dual-CPU, 1GHz FSB, quad-banked memory with integrated
> gigabit, PCI-x, and the new SLI video cards that are coming out next
> year. 8*)

Or build your own and switch to AMD Athlon 64 CPU with dual SLI
http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=A8N-SLI%20Deluxe&langs=09

Craig

The voltage is different, the pin assignments are also different, and
the support logic (chipset) needed is different. The mobile P4, mobile
P4-m, desktop P4 and Pentium M all use the same socket, and are all
mutually incompatible with each other.

"Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote in message
> The voltage is different, the pin assignments are also different, and the
> support logic (chipset) needed is different. The mobile P4, mobile P4-m,
> desktop P4 and Pentium M all use the same socket, and are all mutually
> incompatible with each other.

Which brings up the confusing model/labeling of chips used in Intel mobile
chipsets.

- mobile P4

- P4-m

- Pentium M

What is the distinction other than one of them is actually desktop chip that
runs in notebook systems?

Stew