Closed

How do i figure out my RAM?

I want to buy more RAM for my FXA vaio laptop, but i dont know how to check
what kind of ram i have currentley. help. also, does anyone know why my
battey drains abnormally fast?
18 answers Last reply
More about figure

    Crucial & Kingston both offer tools to match RAM to vendor &
    model PCs. Best to check your laptop's documentation, because
    they (Notebooks) usually have only two memory slots and have
    very specific requirements on size/voltage & speed ratings.

    Battery life depends on whether your screen automatically dims
    when on battery, the Power options & peripherals you have. Any
    PCMCIA cards (PC Cards) like a Wireless NIC or multimedia
    use of a CD/DVD will shorten battery life. Another big factor is
    the CPU your notebook has, A Centrino (Pentium M) has a much
    lower power rating than other Intel processors.

    Help With RAM wrote:
    > I want to buy more RAM for my FXA vaio laptop, but i dont know how to check
    > what kind of ram i have currentley.

    It is absolutely essential that any new RAM module(s) be fully
    compatible with both the motherboard and/or any other RAM module(s)
    already in the system. Additionally, there are sometimes jumper
    switches on older motherboards that need to be reset for new RAM
    configurations. Consult your motherboard's manual or the
    manufacturer's web site for specific instructions and compatibility
    requirements.

    If you cannot lay your hands upon the computer's manual and the
    manufacturer doesn't provide a support web site, you can use these
    utilities to help determine the correct type of RAM needed:

    SiSoft's Sandra
    http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/index.php?dir=&location=sware_dl&lang=en

    Belarc Advisor

    Unlimited Possibilities' AIDA32
    http://forum.aumha.org/overflow/aida32.zip

    Also, Crucial Memory's web site (www.crucial.com) has a database
    to help to find the right RAM for your specific make and model
    computer and/or motherboard.

    > help. also, does anyone know why my
    > battey drains abnormally fast?

    Impossible to tell without more information. You haven't even
    specified what you define as "abnormally fast."

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    http://www.18004memory.com/

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 19:04:31 -0600, Bruce Chambers
    <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote:

    > If you cannot lay your hands upon the computer's manual and the
    >manufacturer doesn't provide a support web site, you can use these
    >utilities to help determine the correct type of RAM needed:

    [others snipped]

    >Unlimited Possibilities' AIDA32
    >http://forum.aumha.org/overflow/aida32.zip

    Aida32 is a fine product, but is obsolete. The developer is now
    working for Lavalys (I think), and Aida has been replaced by the
    Lavalys product Everest Home, also a free program:
    http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    "My theory was a perfectly good one. The facts were misleading."
    -- /The Lady Vanishes/ (1938)

    On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 12:51:00 -0400, Stan Brown
    <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:

    > On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 19:04:31 -0600, Bruce Chambers
    > <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote:
    >
    > > If you cannot lay your hands upon the computer's manual and the
    > >manufacturer doesn't provide a support web site, you can use these
    > >utilities to help determine the correct type of RAM needed:
    > >
    > [others snipped]
    > >
    > >Unlimited Possibilities' AIDA32
    > >http://forum.aumha.org/overflow/aida32.zip
    >
    > Aida32 is a fine product, but is obsolete. The developer is now
    > working for Lavalys (I think), and Aida has been replaced by the
    > Lavalys product Everest Home, also a free program:
    > http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en

    Compared to the older AIDA32 Enterprise Edition product, the current
    free offering from Lavalys does NOT disclose ANY software license
    keys, but does display the RAM type (as AIDA32 Enterprise Edition
    does). I personally prefer AIDA32 Enterprise Edition, since it shows
    so much more information.

    Donald L McDaniel
    Please reply to the original thread
    so that conversations may be kept in order

    Which FXA model?Check the number.
    http://www.memoryx.net/sovapcseme6.html

    Adjust your laptop's power settings to find a comfort zone where you're
    using as little power as possible with no interference in your computer
    tasks.Lower the screen's brightness.When you're running your laptop on
    battery power, turn off devices and programs you don't need.
    If all these don't help you much then you have to replace the battery.

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP

    Help With RAM wrote:
    > I want to buy more RAM for my FXA vaio laptop, but i dont know how to check
    > what kind of ram i have currentley. help. also, does anyone know why my
    > battey drains abnormally fast?

    On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 11:31:16 -0700, Donald McDaniel
    <dlmcdaniel2005@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >> On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 19:04:31 -0600, Bruce Chambers
    >> <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote:
    >>
    >> > If you cannot lay your hands upon the computer's manual and the
    >> >manufacturer doesn't provide a support web site, you can use these
    >> >utilities to help determine the correct type of RAM needed:
    >> >
    >> [others snipped]
    >> >
    >> >Unlimited Possibilities' AIDA32
    >> >http://forum.aumha.org/overflow/aida32.zip
    >
    >Compared to the older AIDA32 Enterprise Edition product, the current
    >free offering from Lavalys does NOT disclose ANY software license
    >keys, but does display the RAM type (as AIDA32 Enterprise Edition
    >does). I personally prefer AIDA32 Enterprise Edition, since it shows
    >so much more information.

    Interesting! I didn't realize that there were two Aida editions,
    since I got mine after development had ceased. Following Bruce
    Chambers' link (preserved above), I downloaded Aida Enterprise and
    confirmed that it does reveal _some_ software licenses as you say.
    (One exception that I noted: The "installed programs" list shows
    Forte Agent but the "licenses" doesn't show my Forte Agent license.)
    Everest Home doesn't even have a "Software" category.

    But...

    Aida Enterprise does not show my motherboard temperature and the
    free Everest Home does. (There's a "Sensor" category in Aida, but
    when I click on it the right-hand panel is blank.) It also thinks I
    have no L2 cache, though Everest does find the 2MB on-board L2
    cache.

    Also, interestingly, Everest and the two Aidas don't tell me the
    type of memory I have in my Acer laptop. All three display the
    quantity correctly, but none display the type, not even "unknown".
    (It should be in Motherboard >> Memory, right?)

    Of course, it's more information than I got from Aida Personal, and
    some of it can't be got from Everest Home. Thanks for pointing this
    out. I'll overwrite Aida Personal with Aida Enterprise before
    tonight's backup.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    "My theory was a perfectly good one. The facts were misleading."
    -- /The Lady Vanishes/ (1938)

    On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 10:31:02 -0400, Stan Brown
    <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:

    > On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 11:31:16 -0700, Donald McDaniel
    > <dlmcdaniel2005@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > >> [others snipped]

    > >Compared to the older AIDA32 Enterprise Edition product, the current
    > >free offering from Lavalys does NOT disclose ANY software license
    > >keys, but does display the RAM type (as AIDA32 Enterprise Edition
    > >does). I personally prefer AIDA32 Enterprise Edition, since it shows
    > >so much more information.
    >
    > Interesting! I didn't realize that there were two Aida editions,
    > since I got mine after development had ceased. Following Bruce
    > Chambers' link (preserved above), I downloaded Aida Enterprise and
    > confirmed that it does reveal _some_ software licenses as you say.
    > (One exception that I noted: The "installed programs" list shows
    > Forte Agent but the "licenses" doesn't show my Forte Agent license.)
    > Everest Home doesn't even have a "Software" category.

    Interesting. My Agent 3 license does not show up, while most other
    licenses do, such as Office 2003, XP, WindowBlinds, and a few others.

    > But...
    >
    > Aida Enterprise does not show my motherboard temperature and the
    > free Everest Home does. (There's a "Sensor" category in Aida, but
    > when I click on it the right-hand panel is blank.)

    > It also thinks I > have no L2 cache, though Everest does find the
    > 2MB on-board L2 cache.

    That's very strange. Both my motherboard temperature and my CPU
    temperature are displayed, in addition to the temperature of my SATA
    HD.

    In addition, both my L1 Cache and my L2 Cache are displayed, along
    with their sizes.

    > Also, interestingly, Everest and the two Aidas don't tell me the
    > type of memory I have in my Acer laptop. All three display the
    > quantity correctly, but none display the type, not even "unknown".
    > (It should be in Motherboard >> Memory, right?)

    In the case of my home-brew machine, both the type of RAM modules
    installed and their sizes, are shown very clearly in AIDA32 Enterprise
    Edition. Perhaps you installed an earlier build than mine. Mine is
    version 3.93.

    You can download Aida Enterprise Edition 3.93 here:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloadget.php?id=183&file=11&evp=f4f620f12e0643ca245c62a3a0e075c3

    > Of course, it's more information than I got from Aida Personal, and
    > some of it can't be got from Everest Home. Thanks for pointing this
    > out. I'll overwrite Aida Personal with Aida Enterprise before
    > tonight's backup.

    Donald L McDaniel
    Please reply to the original thread
    so that conversations may be kept in order

    On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 10:14:04 -0700, Donald McDaniel
    <dlmcdaniel2005@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 10:31:02 -0400, Stan Brown
    ><the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:
    >> Also, interestingly, Everest and the two Aidas don't tell me the
    >> type of memory I have in my Acer laptop. All three display the
    >> quantity correctly, but none display the type, not even "unknown".
    >> (It should be in Motherboard >> Memory, right?)
    >
    >In the case of my home-brew machine, both the type of RAM modules
    >installed and their sizes, are shown very clearly in AIDA32 Enterprise
    >Edition. Perhaps you installed an earlier build than mine. Mine is
    >version 3.93.

    So is mine -- I got it from the link you provided upthread (and I
    just now did a Help>About to make sure): 3.93 2004-02-23

    Everest Home is 2.20.405; it also shows the quantity of memory but
    no manufacturer or other details.

    I _should_ be seeing memory chip details under "Motherboard>Memory",
    right? (IIRC, I saw them when I had my old desktop.)

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    "What in heaven's name brought you to Casablanca?"
    "My health. I came to Casablanca for the waters."
    "The waters? What waters? We're in the desert."

    On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 10:53:22 -0400, Stan Brown
    <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:

    > On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 10:14:04 -0700, Donald McDaniel
    > <dlmcdaniel2005@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    > >On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 10:31:02 -0400, Stan Brown
    > ><the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:
    > >> Also, interestingly, Everest and the two Aidas don't tell me the
    > >> type of memory I have in my Acer laptop. All three display the
    > >> quantity correctly, but none display the type, not even "unknown".
    > >> (It should be in Motherboard >> Memory, right?)
    > >
    > >In the case of my home-brew machine, both the type of RAM modules
    > >installed and their sizes, are shown very clearly in AIDA32 Enterprise
    > >Edition. Perhaps you installed an earlier build than mine. Mine is
    > >version 3.93.
    >
    > So is mine -- I got it from the link you provided upthread (and I
    > just now did a Help>About to make sure): 3.93 2004-02-23
    >
    > Everest Home is 2.20.405; it also shows the quantity of memory but
    > no manufacturer or other details.
    >
    > I _should_ be seeing memory chip details under "Motherboard>Memory",
    > right? (IIRC, I saw them when I had my old desktop.)

    Don't know. In my install of AIDA32 (same build as yours), the TYPES
    and SIZES of memory modules are shown, but NOT the manufacturers'
    names. In fact, very few device listings show any manufacturers'
    names. Perhaps because I don't have the BEST modules installed. Maybe
    if I installed high-grade (e.g. most expensive) modules instead, the
    manufacturers' names would be listed.

    You also might try this:
    1) Open AIDA32
    2) Click on "Computer" in the left pane
    3) Click on "DMI"
    4) Click on "Memory Devices" instead of "Memory Modules".

    This shows much more information about the installed modules. However,
    it does not show the manufacturers' names. Instead, it says
    "Manufacturer0". It reports something similar to this for "Serial
    Number", "Part Number", and "Asset Tag".

    Perhaps it will show something different for your modules.

    Donald L McDaniel
    Please reply to the original thread
    so that conversations may be kept in order

    On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 09:52:58 -0700, Donald McDaniel
    <dlmcdaniel2005@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >You also might try this:
    >1) Open AIDA32
    >2) Click on "Computer" in the left pane
    >3) Click on "DMI"

    Completely blank right-hand size (gray background, not white).

    >4) Click on "Memory Devices" instead of "Memory Modules".
    >
    >This shows much more information about the installed modules. However,
    >it does not show the manufacturers' names. Instead, it says
    >"Manufacturer0". It reports something similar to this for "Serial
    >Number", "Part Number", and "Asset Tag".

    Here's what I get in the report for Memory:

    >Physical Memory:
    > Total 1006 MB
    > Used 321 MB
    > Free 684 MB
    > Utilization 32 %

    (plus swap space and virtual memory). That's it -- no memory type,
    or manufacturer, or chip ID; nothing.

    FYI, Everest Home does have stuff under DMI, namely Warning (a text
    message "accuracy cannot be guaranteed"), BIOS, System, Motherboard,
    and Chassis. There's nothing about system memory n any of them.

    This is bugging me now, like a fly buzzing at a windowpane. I know
    that I had a program under Win98 that told me details of the SIMMs
    (DIMMs?) I had, because I used the information to look up prices
    when I was thinking about adding RAM to my old machine last fall. I
    remember that program as being Aida32, but maybe it was something
    else, because neither Aida nor Everest seems able to give me that
    information now. I can understand Aida not recognizing my memory,
    but Everest was updated many months after my computer was
    manufactured.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    "What in heaven's name brought you to Casablanca?"
    "My health. I came to Casablanca for the waters."
    "The waters? What waters? We're in the desert."

    On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 00:24:39 -0400, Stan Brown
    <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:

    > Completely blank right-hand size (gray background, not white).

    I'm sorry, Stan. I don't know why your copy of AIDA32 Enterprise
    Edition does not show the right-hand pane.

    Anyway, try this:

    1) Open AIDA32
    2) Click on "Reports" in the main menu.
    3) Click on "Report Wizard" (at the top of the sub-menu"
    3) Click on "Next". This will bring up "Report Profiles"
    4) Select "Custom Selection"
    5) Click on "Next"
    6) Under "Custom report profile", make sure there is only a check-mark
    beside "Computer"
    7) Expand the "Computer" branch.
    8) Make sure there are only check-mark besides "DMI" and "Sensor"
    9) Click on "Next"
    10) Choose your format. I usually choose "HTML", but there are
    several formats to choose from"
    11) Click on "Finish.

    The report will display in your browser window immediately.
    Scroll it until the [ Memory Devices ] section is displayed. It
    should give you a lot of information. Scroll it further to the
    "[ Sensor ]" section to see the results.

    Donald L McDaniel
    Please reply to the original thread
    so that conversations may be kept in order

    On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 15:42:52 -0700, Donald McDaniel
    <dlmcdaniel2005@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 00:24:39 -0400, Stan Brown
    ><the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:
    >

    >> Completely blank right-hand size (gray background, not white).
    >
    >I'm sorry, Stan. I don't know why your copy of AIDA32 Enterprise
    >Edition does not show the right-hand pane.
    >
    >Anyway, try this:
    >
    >1) Open AIDA32
    >2) Click on "Reports" in the main menu.
    >3) Click on "Report Wizard" (at the top of the sub-menu"

    Do you mean "Report Wizard" or "Report Wizard Pro/Lite"? I'll assume
    the former.

    >3) Click on "Next". This will bring up "Report Profiles"
    >4) Select "Custom Selection"
    >5) Click on "Next"
    >6) Under "Custom report profile", make sure there is only a check-mark
    >beside "Computer"
    >7) Expand the "Computer" branch.
    >8) Make sure there are only check-mark besides "DMI" and "Sensor"
    >9) Click on "Next"
    >10) Choose your format. I usually choose "HTML", but there are
    >several formats to choose from"
    >11) Click on "Finish.
    >
    >The report will display in your browser window immediately.
    >Scroll it until the [ Memory Devices ] section is displayed. It
    >should give you a lot of information. Scroll it further to the
    >"[ Sensor ]" section to see the results.

    Hmm ... not sure why we would expect to see more information in the
    report than is displayed in the GUI. Remember I already ran a report
    once, but just for completeness I followed your above instructions
    to the letter. There was no [Memory Devices] section and no [Sensor]
    section in the output. The only sections of report output were
    these:

    [ AIDA32 (c) 1995-2004 Tamas Miklos ]
    [ Debug - PCI ]
    [ Debug - Video BIOS ]

    Again, this was Aida32 Enterprise, the same build number you've got.

    So ... anybody know of a program that displays details of a
    computer's on-board memory chips? :-)

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    "What in heaven's name brought you to Casablanca?"
    "My health. I came to Casablanca for the waters."
    "The waters? What waters? We're in the desert."
    "I was misinformed."
  14. Quote:

    I want to buy more RAM for my FXA vaio laptop, but i dont know how to check
    what kind of ram i have currentley. help. also, does anyone know why my
    battey drains abnormally fast?

    Try this Program, Speccy found at www.piriform.com/speccy. It is a free download , and it gives you a complete view of you computers specs.
  15. try this program: SPECCY. Which can be found at www.piriform.com/speccy. It is a free Program and shows all you computers specs. There is no way to print them though. You'll have to printscreen them or write them down in Word.
  16. Hello Newcomer,

    I guess you don't realise that the last post in this thread was made 4 1/2 years ago.

    Lol.

    You might have set some kind of record here.
  17. LOL i didn't notice the date sorry
  18. This topic has been closed by R_manic

Laptops RAM Microsoft Windows XP Product