How do i figure out my RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

I want to buy more RAM for my FXA vaio laptop, but i dont know how to check
what kind of ram i have currentley. help. also, does anyone know why my
battey drains abnormally fast?

Crucial & Kingston both offer tools to match RAM to vendor &
model PCs. Best to check your laptop's documentation, because
they (Notebooks) usually have only two memory slots and have
very specific requirements on size/voltage & speed ratings.

Battery life depends on whether your screen automatically dims
when on battery, the Power options & peripherals you have. Any
PCMCIA cards (PC Cards) like a Wireless NIC or multimedia
use of a CD/DVD will shorten battery life. Another big factor is
the CPU your notebook has, A Centrino (Pentium M) has a much
lower power rating than other Intel processors.

Help With RAM wrote:
> I want to buy more RAM for my FXA vaio laptop, but i dont know how to check
> what kind of ram i have currentley.

It is absolutely essential that any new RAM module(s) be fully
compatible with both the motherboard and/or any other RAM module(s)
already in the system. Additionally, there are sometimes jumper
switches on older motherboards that need to be reset for new RAM
configurations. Consult your motherboard's manual or the
manufacturer's web site for specific instructions and compatibility
requirements.

If you cannot lay your hands upon the computer's manual and the
manufacturer doesn't provide a support web site, you can use these
utilities to help determine the correct type of RAM needed:

SiSoft's Sandra
http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/index.php?dir=&location=sware_dl&lang=en

Belarc Advisor

Unlimited Possibilities' AIDA32
http://forum.aumha.org/overflow/aida32.zip

Also, Crucial Memory's web site (www.crucial.com) has a database
to help to find the right RAM for your specific make and model
computer and/or motherboard.

> help. also, does anyone know why my
> battey drains abnormally fast?

Impossible to tell without more information. You haven't even
specified what you define as "abnormally fast."

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

http://www.18004memory.com/

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 19:04:31 -0600, Bruce Chambers
<bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote:

> If you cannot lay your hands upon the computer's manual and the
>manufacturer doesn't provide a support web site, you can use these
>utilities to help determine the correct type of RAM needed:

[others snipped]

>Unlimited Possibilities' AIDA32
>http://forum.aumha.org/overflow/aida32.zip

Aida32 is a fine product, but is obsolete. The developer is now
working for Lavalys (I think), and Aida has been replaced by the
Lavalys product Everest Home, also a free program:
http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"My theory was a perfectly good one. The facts were misleading."
-- /The Lady Vanishes/ (1938)

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 12:51:00 -0400, Stan Brown
<the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 19:04:31 -0600, Bruce Chambers
> <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote:
>
> > If you cannot lay your hands upon the computer's manual and the
> >manufacturer doesn't provide a support web site, you can use these
> >utilities to help determine the correct type of RAM needed:
> >
> [others snipped]
> >
> >Unlimited Possibilities' AIDA32
> >http://forum.aumha.org/overflow/aida32.zip
>
> Aida32 is a fine product, but is obsolete. The developer is now
> working for Lavalys (I think), and Aida has been replaced by the
> Lavalys product Everest Home, also a free program:
> http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en

Compared to the older AIDA32 Enterprise Edition product, the current
free offering from Lavalys does NOT disclose ANY software license
keys, but does display the RAM type (as AIDA32 Enterprise Edition
does). I personally prefer AIDA32 Enterprise Edition, since it shows
so much more information.

Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the original thread
so that conversations may be kept in order

Which FXA model?Check the number.
http://www.memoryx.net/sovapcseme6.html

Adjust your laptop's power settings to find a comfort zone where you're
using as little power as possible with no interference in your computer
tasks.Lower the screen's brightness.When you're running your laptop on
battery power, turn off devices and programs you don't need.
If all these don't help you much then you have to replace the battery.

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

Help With RAM wrote:
> I want to buy more RAM for my FXA vaio laptop, but i dont know how to check
> what kind of ram i have currentley. help. also, does anyone know why my
> battey drains abnormally fast?

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 11:31:16 -0700, Donald McDaniel
<dlmcdaniel2005@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 19:04:31 -0600, Bruce Chambers
>> <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote:
>>
>> > If you cannot lay your hands upon the computer's manual and the
>> >manufacturer doesn't provide a support web site, you can use these
>> >utilities to help determine the correct type of RAM needed:
>> >
>> [others snipped]
>> >
>> >Unlimited Possibilities' AIDA32
>> >http://forum.aumha.org/overflow/aida32.zip
>
>Compared to the older AIDA32 Enterprise Edition product, the current
>free offering from Lavalys does NOT disclose ANY software license
>keys, but does display the RAM type (as AIDA32 Enterprise Edition
>does). I personally prefer AIDA32 Enterprise Edition, since it shows
>so much more information.

Interesting! I didn't realize that there were two Aida editions,
since I got mine after development had ceased. Following Bruce
Chambers' link (preserved above), I downloaded Aida Enterprise and
confirmed that it does reveal _some_ software licenses as you say.
(One exception that I noted: The "installed programs" list shows
Forte Agent but the "licenses" doesn't show my Forte Agent license.)
Everest Home doesn't even have a "Software" category.

But...

Aida Enterprise does not show my motherboard temperature and the
free Everest Home does. (There's a "Sensor" category in Aida, but
when I click on it the right-hand panel is blank.) It also thinks I
have no L2 cache, though Everest does find the 2MB on-board L2
cache.

Also, interestingly, Everest and the two Aidas don't tell me the
type of memory I have in my Acer laptop. All three display the
quantity correctly, but none display the type, not even "unknown".
(It should be in Motherboard >> Memory, right?)

Of course, it's more information than I got from Aida Personal, and
some of it can't be got from Everest Home. Thanks for pointing this
out. I'll overwrite Aida Personal with Aida Enterprise before
tonight's backup.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"My theory was a perfectly good one. The facts were misleading."
-- /The Lady Vanishes/ (1938)

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 10:31:02 -0400, Stan Brown
<the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 11:31:16 -0700, Donald McDaniel
> <dlmcdaniel2005@yahoo.com> wrote:

> >> [others snipped]

> >Compared to the older AIDA32 Enterprise Edition product, the current
> >free offering from Lavalys does NOT disclose ANY software license
> >keys, but does display the RAM type (as AIDA32 Enterprise Edition
> >does). I personally prefer AIDA32 Enterprise Edition, since it shows
> >so much more information.
>
> Interesting! I didn't realize that there were two Aida editions,
> since I got mine after development had ceased. Following Bruce
> Chambers' link (preserved above), I downloaded Aida Enterprise and
> confirmed that it does reveal _some_ software licenses as you say.
> (One exception that I noted: The "installed programs" list shows
> Forte Agent but the "licenses" doesn't show my Forte Agent license.)
> Everest Home doesn't even have a "Software" category.

Interesting. My Agent 3 license does not show up, while most other
licenses do, such as Office 2003, XP, WindowBlinds, and a few others.

> But...
>
> Aida Enterprise does not show my motherboard temperature and the
> free Everest Home does. (There's a "Sensor" category in Aida, but
> when I click on it the right-hand panel is blank.)

> It also thinks I > have no L2 cache, though Everest does find the
> 2MB on-board L2 cache.

That's very strange. Both my motherboard temperature and my CPU
temperature are displayed, in addition to the temperature of my SATA
HD.

In addition, both my L1 Cache and my L2 Cache are displayed, along
with their sizes.

> Also, interestingly, Everest and the two Aidas don't tell me the
> type of memory I have in my Acer laptop. All three display the
> quantity correctly, but none display the type, not even "unknown".
> (It should be in Motherboard >> Memory, right?)

In the case of my home-brew machine, both the type of RAM modules
installed and their sizes, are shown very clearly in AIDA32 Enterprise
Edition. Perhaps you installed an earlier build than mine. Mine is
version 3.93.

You can download Aida Enterprise Edition 3.93 here:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloadget.php?id=183&file=11&evp=f4f620f12e0643ca245c62a3a0e075c3

> Of course, it's more information than I got from Aida Personal, and
> some of it can't be got from Everest Home. Thanks for pointing this
> out. I'll overwrite Aida Personal with Aida Enterprise before
> tonight's backup.

Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the original thread
so that conversations may be kept in order

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 10:14:04 -0700, Donald McDaniel
<dlmcdaniel2005@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 10:31:02 -0400, Stan Brown
><the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>> Also, interestingly, Everest and the two Aidas don't tell me the
>> type of memory I have in my Acer laptop. All three display the
>> quantity correctly, but none display the type, not even "unknown".
>> (It should be in Motherboard >> Memory, right?)
>
>In the case of my home-brew machine, both the type of RAM modules
>installed and their sizes, are shown very clearly in AIDA32 Enterprise
>Edition. Perhaps you installed an earlier build than mine. Mine is
>version 3.93.

So is mine -- I got it from the link you provided upthread (and I
just now did a Help>About to make sure): 3.93 2004-02-23

Everest Home is 2.20.405; it also shows the quantity of memory but
no manufacturer or other details.

I _should_ be seeing memory chip details under "Motherboard>Memory",
right? (IIRC, I saw them when I had my old desktop.)

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"What in heaven's name brought you to Casablanca?"
"My health. I came to Casablanca for the waters."
"The waters? What waters? We're in the desert."

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 10:53:22 -0400, Stan Brown
<the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 10:14:04 -0700, Donald McDaniel
> <dlmcdaniel2005@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 10:31:02 -0400, Stan Brown
> ><the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> >> Also, interestingly, Everest and the two Aidas don't tell me the
> >> type of memory I have in my Acer laptop. All three display the
> >> quantity correctly, but none display the type, not even "unknown".
> >> (It should be in Motherboard >> Memory, right?)
> >
> >In the case of my home-brew machine, both the type of RAM modules
> >installed and their sizes, are shown very clearly in AIDA32 Enterprise
> >Edition. Perhaps you installed an earlier build than mine. Mine is
> >version 3.93.
>
> So is mine -- I got it from the link you provided upthread (and I
> just now did a Help>About to make sure): 3.93 2004-02-23
>
> Everest Home is 2.20.405; it also shows the quantity of memory but
> no manufacturer or other details.
>
> I _should_ be seeing memory chip details under "Motherboard>Memory",
> right? (IIRC, I saw them when I had my old desktop.)

Don't know. In my install of AIDA32 (same build as yours), the TYPES
and SIZES of memory modules are shown, but NOT the manufacturers'
names. In fact, very few device listings show any manufacturers'
names. Perhaps because I don't have the BEST modules installed. Maybe
if I installed high-grade (e.g. most expensive) modules instead, the
manufacturers' names would be listed.

You also might try this:
1) Open AIDA32
2) Click on "Computer" in the left pane
3) Click on "DMI"
4) Click on "Memory Devices" instead of "Memory Modules".

This shows much more information about the installed modules. However,
it does not show the manufacturers' names. Instead, it says
"Manufacturer0". It reports something similar to this for "Serial
Number", "Part Number", and "Asset Tag".

Perhaps it will show something different for your modules.

Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the original thread
so that conversations may be kept in order

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 09:52:58 -0700, Donald McDaniel
<dlmcdaniel2005@yahoo.com> wrote:

>You also might try this:
>1) Open AIDA32
>2) Click on "Computer" in the left pane
>3) Click on "DMI"

Completely blank right-hand size (gray background, not white).

>4) Click on "Memory Devices" instead of "Memory Modules".
>
>This shows much more information about the installed modules. However,
>it does not show the manufacturers' names. Instead, it says
>"Manufacturer0". It reports something similar to this for "Serial
>Number", "Part Number", and "Asset Tag".

Here's what I get in the report for Memory:

>Physical Memory:
> Total 1006 MB
> Used 321 MB
> Free 684 MB
> Utilization 32 %

(plus swap space and virtual memory). That's it -- no memory type,
or manufacturer, or chip ID; nothing.

FYI, Everest Home does have stuff under DMI, namely Warning (a text
message "accuracy cannot be guaranteed"), BIOS, System, Motherboard,
and Chassis. There's nothing about system memory n any of them.

This is bugging me now, like a fly buzzing at a windowpane. I know
that I had a program under Win98 that told me details of the SIMMs
(DIMMs?) I had, because I used the information to look up prices
when I was thinking about adding RAM to my old machine last fall. I
remember that program as being Aida32, but maybe it was something
else, because neither Aida nor Everest seems able to give me that
information now. I can understand Aida not recognizing my memory,
but Everest was updated many months after my computer was
manufactured.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"What in heaven's name brought you to Casablanca?"
"My health. I came to Casablanca for the waters."
"The waters? What waters? We're in the desert."

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 00:24:39 -0400, Stan Brown
<the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> Completely blank right-hand size (gray background, not white).

I'm sorry, Stan. I don't know why your copy of AIDA32 Enterprise
Edition does not show the right-hand pane.

Anyway, try this:

1) Open AIDA32
2) Click on "Reports" in the main menu.
3) Click on "Report Wizard" (at the top of the sub-menu"
3) Click on "Next". This will bring up "Report Profiles"
4) Select "Custom Selection"
5) Click on "Next"
6) Under "Custom report profile", make sure there is only a check-mark
beside "Computer"
7) Expand the "Computer" branch.
8) Make sure there are only check-mark besides "DMI" and "Sensor"
9) Click on "Next"
10) Choose your format. I usually choose "HTML", but there are
several formats to choose from"
11) Click on "Finish.

The report will display in your browser window immediately.
Scroll it until the [ Memory Devices ] section is displayed. It
should give you a lot of information. Scroll it further to the
"[ Sensor ]" section to see the results.

Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the original thread
so that conversations may be kept in order

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 15:42:52 -0700, Donald McDaniel
<dlmcdaniel2005@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 00:24:39 -0400, Stan Brown
><the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>

>> Completely blank right-hand size (gray background, not white).
>
>I'm sorry, Stan. I don't know why your copy of AIDA32 Enterprise
>Edition does not show the right-hand pane.
>
>Anyway, try this:
>
>1) Open AIDA32
>2) Click on "Reports" in the main menu.
>3) Click on "Report Wizard" (at the top of the sub-menu"

Do you mean "Report Wizard" or "Report Wizard Pro/Lite"? I'll assume
the former.

>3) Click on "Next". This will bring up "Report Profiles"
>4) Select "Custom Selection"
>5) Click on "Next"
>6) Under "Custom report profile", make sure there is only a check-mark
>beside "Computer"
>7) Expand the "Computer" branch.
>8) Make sure there are only check-mark besides "DMI" and "Sensor"
>9) Click on "Next"
>10) Choose your format. I usually choose "HTML", but there are
>several formats to choose from"
>11) Click on "Finish.
>
>The report will display in your browser window immediately.
>Scroll it until the [ Memory Devices ] section is displayed. It
>should give you a lot of information. Scroll it further to the
>"[ Sensor ]" section to see the results.

Hmm ... not sure why we would expect to see more information in the
report than is displayed in the GUI. Remember I already ran a report
once, but just for completeness I followed your above instructions
to the letter. There was no [Memory Devices] section and no [Sensor]
section in the output. The only sections of report output were
these:

[ AIDA32 (c) 1995-2004 Tamas Miklos ]
[ Debug - PCI ]
[ Debug - Video BIOS ]

Again, this was Aida32 Enterprise, the same build number you've got.

So ... anybody know of a program that displays details of a
computer's on-board memory chips? :)

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"What in heaven's name brought you to Casablanca?"
"My health. I came to Casablanca for the waters."
"The waters? What waters? We're in the desert."
"I was misinformed."

garzafamilybangs

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010

I want to buy more RAM for my FXA vaio laptop, but i dont know how to check
what kind of ram i have currentley. help. also, does anyone know why my
battey drains abnormally fast?

Try this Program, Speccy found at www.piriform.com/speccy. It is a free download , and it gives you a complete view of you computers specs.

garzafamilybangs

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
try this program: SPECCY. Which can be found at www.piriform.com/speccy. It is a free Program and shows all you computers specs. There is no way to print them though. You'll have to printscreen them or write them down in Word.

btk1w1

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
Hello Newcomer,

I guess you don't realise that the last post in this thread was made 4 1/2 years ago.

Lol.

You might have set some kind of record here.