Can I disable AVG??

I have a Dell Dim 2400 with XP Home.

I currently use AVG Free 7.0.

I want to d/l another AV product to scan my computer (say Avist or Norton).

I don't want to have both of them running at the same time.

I don't see any menu item that will allow me to disable AVG.

Is there a way??

One way I see is maybe to uncheck AVG via the start tab of msconfig. and
then reboot and then d/l Avist. But is that the only way? I am hesitant to
leave my computer "unprotected" while d/l Avist.

Suggestions?

(I'm probably going to keep AVG but I just want to have a second program to
scan my system as I got hit with a backdoor.trojan and I want to make sure
via a second scan that it is truly gone)

MB

MB

Right click the AVG Icon and select exit.

"MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
>I have a Dell Dim 2400 with XP Home.
>
> I currently use AVG Free 7.0.
>
> I want to d/l another AV product to scan my computer (say Avist or
> Norton).
>
> I don't want to have both of them running at the same time.
>
> I don't see any menu item that will allow me to disable AVG.
>
> Is there a way??
>
> One way I see is maybe to uncheck AVG via the start tab of msconfig.
> and then reboot and then d/l Avist. But is that the only way? I am
> hesitant to leave my computer "unprotected" while d/l Avist.
>
> Suggestions?
>
> (I'm probably going to keep AVG but I just want to have a second
> program to scan my system as I got hit with a backdoor.trojan and I
> want to make sure via a second scan that it is truly gone)
>
> MB
>
> MB

In article <r00Dd.54950$MC2.17361@fe06.lga>, mel@prodigy.invalid.net
says...

> I have a Dell Dim 2400 with XP Home.
>
> I currently use AVG Free 7.0.
>
> I want to d/l another AV product to scan my computer (say Avist or Norton).

<snip>

Why? IMO, AVG is far superior to either of the products you
mention. I was so impressed with it that I bought a five-station network
license for it (and I'm not that easily impressed).

> I don't want to have both of them running at the same time.
>
> I don't see any menu item that will allow me to disable AVG.

Stick with AVG. It'll do everything the others you mention will,
with less overhead and greater stability.

> Is there a way??

Probably, but I'll wager it involves simply uninstalling the
program.

kyrrin (a/t) bluefeathertech[d=o=t]calm -- www.bluefeathertech.com
with surreal ports?"

Actually, there was no exit (that's what I was looking for), but there is
the option to quit the control center, which I assume does the same thing.

MB
"Pen" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Right click the AVG Icon and select exit.
>
> "MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
>>I have a Dell Dim 2400 with XP Home.
>>
>> I currently use AVG Free 7.0.
>>
>> I want to d/l another AV product to scan my computer (say Avist or
>> Norton).
>>
>> I don't want to have both of them running at the same time.
>>
>> I don't see any menu item that will allow me to disable AVG.
>>
>> Is there a way??
>>
>> One way I see is maybe to uncheck AVG via the start tab of msconfig. and
>> then reboot and then d/l Avist. But is that the only way? I am hesitant
>> to leave my computer "unprotected" while d/l Avist.
>>
>> Suggestions?
>>
>> (I'm probably going to keep AVG but I just want to have a second program
>> to scan my system as I got hit with a backdoor.trojan and I want to make
>> sure via a second scan that it is truly gone)
>>
>> MB
>>
>> MB

Dr. Anton T. Squeegee coughed up:
> In article <r00Dd.54950$MC2.17361@fe06.lga>, mel@prodigy.invalid.net
> says...
>
>> I have a Dell Dim 2400 with XP Home.
>>
>> I currently use AVG Free 7.0.
>>
>> I want to d/l another AV product to scan my computer (say Avist or
>> Norton).
>
> <snip>
>
> Why? IMO, AVG is far superior to either of the products you
> mention. I was so impressed with it that I bought a five-station
> network license for it (and I'm not that easily impressed).
>
>> I don't want to have both of them running at the same time.
>>
>> I don't see any menu item that will allow me to disable AVG.
>
> Stick with AVG. It'll do everything the others you mention will,
> with less overhead and greater stability.
>
>> Is there a way??
>
> Probably, but I'll wager it involves simply uninstalling the
> program.

I use norton /and/ AVG, and I have to say I am utterly impressed that:

1. avg runs on win95 (believe me, they're still out there)

2. all you need to do to make a "recovery" cd is copy your entire avg
installation directory over, and run avg.exe. It doesn't boot, but it'll
run a text-mode version of avg correctly using all the dll's and virus data
files in the installation. Simple and very effective.

--
"Well, ain't this place a geographical oddity!
Two weeks from everywhere!"

> 1. avg runs on win95 (believe me, they're still out there)

The place I work (a multinational company) is only now starting to phase
out win95.

TRENDING THREADS