CP locks up during the evening, lookign for monitoring sof..

PROBLEM: pc works fine all day, goto bed at night next day monitor is power
saving mode and unable to get display back. Cannot shutdown by pressing the
on/off button have to crash out pc (hold on/off) for 5 seconds. Machine
boots fine and all is good, event logs show nothing wrong.

I am looking for some utility that i can run to see what / when the pc locks
up. power management works fine during the day at least when it activates i
am able to get back on to the desktop fine.

I have rebuilt XP Prof and has worked for a week now its back.

Running a AMD64 3200+ and a GA-K8NS-939 motherboard and 1GIG 3200 ramm.

Thanks
2 answers Last reply
More about locks evening lookign monitoring

    Try checking the hibernation settings. right click on the desktop and select
    properties, click on screen saver, click on power near the bottom, select
    never for the bottom two then click advanced, click on hibernation make sure
    there is no check mark then click ok , apply, ok and see if this resolved
    your issue.
    --
    Don Kendrick

    "Michael" wrote:

    > PROBLEM: pc works fine all day, goto bed at night next day monitor is power
    > saving mode and unable to get display back. Cannot shutdown by pressing the
    > on/off button have to crash out pc (hold on/off) for 5 seconds. Machine
    > boots fine and all is good, event logs show nothing wrong.
    >
    > I am looking for some utility that i can run to see what / when the pc locks
    > up. power management works fine during the day at least when it activates i
    > am able to get back on to the desktop fine.
    >
    > I have rebuilt XP Prof and has worked for a week now its back.
    >
    > Running a AMD64 3200+ and a GA-K8NS-939 motherboard and 1GIG 3200 ramm.
    >
    > Thanks

    Hi,

    Those kind of lockups returning from standby or hibernate are generally
    related to device drivers, often video (but by no means exclusively).
    Monitoring software would only be useful if the machine doesn't crash out
    (otherwise the data is lost). I would start by installing updated driver
    sets from the motherboard and other component manufacturers - the ones on
    disk in the box are often outdated before they ever arrived in your home or
    workplace. Do not get your drivers from Windows Update.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Michael" <Michael@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > PROBLEM: pc works fine all day, goto bed at night next day monitor is
    > power
    > saving mode and unable to get display back. Cannot shutdown by pressing
    > the
    > on/off button have to crash out pc (hold on/off) for 5 seconds. Machine
    > boots fine and all is good, event logs show nothing wrong.
    >
    > I am looking for some utility that i can run to see what / when the pc
    > locks
    > up. power management works fine during the day at least when it activates
    > am able to get back on to the desktop fine.
    >
    > I have rebuilt XP Prof and has worked for a week now its back.
    >
    > Running a AMD64 3200+ and a GA-K8NS-939 motherboard and 1GIG 3200 ramm.
    >
    > Thanks

Windows XP