WindowsXP-KB899588-x86-ENU.exe for ZoTob worm patch

August 23, 2005 9:11:31 PM

Because of the loss of Network Connection Manager after installing SP2,
I have had to remove the SP2 upgrade which I had installed. Which means
both SP1 and SP2 are no more on my system. In that situation, can this
patch for the ZoTob worm be installed or is it not advisable?

P. Jayant
August 24, 2005 4:40:09 AM

What exactly were your issues with the Network Connection Manager?

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"pjayant" <pjayant@sancharnet.in> wrote in message
> Because of the loss of Network Connection Manager after installing SP2,
> I have had to remove the SP2 upgrade which I had installed. Which means
> both SP1 and SP2 are no more on my system. In that situation, can this
> patch for the ZoTob worm be installed or is it not advisable?
>
> P. Jayant

Anonymous
August 24, 2005 10:52:40 AM

System Requirements:Windows XP Service Pack 1; Windows XP Service Pack 2

So you should have atleast sp1.

Ref:-http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyI...

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

pjayant wrote:

> Because of the loss of Network Connection Manager after installing SP2,
> I have had to remove the SP2 upgrade which I had installed. Which means
> both SP1 and SP2 are no more on my system. In that situation, can this
> patch for the ZoTob worm be installed or is it not advisable?
>
> P. Jayant

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 9:04:22 AM

Reply to Kelly:
The Network Connection Manager failed in two different ways:
1) Double clicking on the individual I S P icons on the Desktop or on their
names in the Network Connections in Control Panel would not open the Dial-Up
dialog. The only way I could connect to the I S P was by opening O E and
asking it to "Send and Receive" or open I E and ask it to connect to a
web-site. To diconnect, I had to ask O E to go Offline.
2) I am in the process of getting a broad-band connection and wanted to
create a new Connection. But the Network Connection Manger failed after
asking me what kind of connection I wanted to make; nothing would happen
with the Next button.

I tried all the steps mentioned in two MS KB articles which mentioned that
it was recognized that such Connection problems come up after installing SP1
and/or SP2 or after doing a Restore. Nothing worked. So finally, I installed
XP on a new hard disk and installed SP2 on it. When there too, the Network
Connection Mnager failed, I had no choice but to uninstall it.

It is very inconsiderate on the Microsoft to provide the Zotob patch only
for users of SP1 and/or SP2 when those like me who would like to install SP2
have not been able to do so because of the inherent problems in it.

P. Jayant
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 9:04:23 AM

Prominently displayed at Windows Update:

<QP>
Windows XP users: new security updates are now available for SP1 and SP2
only
</QP>

Get SP1 installed, at least.

1. Run a thorough check for hijackware, including posting your HijackThis
log to an appropriate forum.

Check for Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/Darnit.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis (http://aumha.net/downloads/hijackthis.zip)
is the preferred tool to use. It will help you to both identify and remove
any hijackware/spyware.

**Post your HijackThis log to http://forums.spywareinfo.com/,
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html, http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30 or
other appropriate forum for expert analysis, not here.**

2. Do not install SP2 until an expert gives your HijackThis log a clean bill
of health.

Also see:

What to Know Before Downloading/Installing SP2
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.m...

Installing SP2 Step-by-Step
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];xpsp2insthowto

Troubleshooting Your Installation
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];xpsp2insttshoot

WinXP SP2 FAQ: What to do after installing SP2
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;ln;xpsp2installed

Service Pack (any) Installation Checklist (MVP Jupiter Jones)

WinXP SP2-specific Page (MVP Jupiter Jones)
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/xpsp2.htm

The hard disk space requirements for Windows XP Service Pack 2
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

P.Jayant wrote:
<snip>
> It is very inconsiderate on the Microsoft to provide the Zotob patch only
> for users of SP1 and/or SP2 when those like me who would like to install
> SP2 have not been able to do so because of the inherent problems in it.
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 9:58:11 AM

!