WindowsXP-KB899588-x86-ENU.exe for ZoTob worm patch

Because of the loss of Network Connection Manager after installing SP2,
I have had to remove the SP2 upgrade which I had installed. Which means
both SP1 and SP2 are no more on my system. In that situation, can this
patch for the ZoTob worm be installed or is it not advisable?

P. Jayant
5 answers Last reply
More about windowsxp kb899588 zotob worm patch

    What exactly were your issues with the Network Connection Manager?

    --

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "pjayant" <pjayant@sancharnet.in> wrote in message
    > Because of the loss of Network Connection Manager after installing SP2,
    > I have had to remove the SP2 upgrade which I had installed. Which means
    > both SP1 and SP2 are no more on my system. In that situation, can this
    > patch for the ZoTob worm be installed or is it not advisable?
    >
    > P. Jayant

    System Requirements:Windows XP Service Pack 1; Windows XP Service Pack 2

    So you should have atleast sp1.

    Ref:-http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9a3bfbdd-62ea-4db2-88d2-415e095e207f&DisplayLang=en

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP

    pjayant wrote:

    > Because of the loss of Network Connection Manager after installing SP2,
    > I have had to remove the SP2 upgrade which I had installed. Which means
    > both SP1 and SP2 are no more on my system. In that situation, can this
    > patch for the ZoTob worm be installed or is it not advisable?
    >
    > P. Jayant

    Reply to Kelly:
    The Network Connection Manager failed in two different ways:
    1) Double clicking on the individual I S P icons on the Desktop or on their
    names in the Network Connections in Control Panel would not open the Dial-Up
    dialog. The only way I could connect to the I S P was by opening O E and
    asking it to "Send and Receive" or open I E and ask it to connect to a
    web-site. To diconnect, I had to ask O E to go Offline.
    2) I am in the process of getting a broad-band connection and wanted to
    create a new Connection. But the Network Connection Manger failed after
    asking me what kind of connection I wanted to make; nothing would happen
    with the Next button.

    I tried all the steps mentioned in two MS KB articles which mentioned that
    it was recognized that such Connection problems come up after installing SP1
    and/or SP2 or after doing a Restore. Nothing worked. So finally, I installed
    XP on a new hard disk and installed SP2 on it. When there too, the Network
    Connection Mnager failed, I had no choice but to uninstall it.

    It is very inconsiderate on the Microsoft to provide the Zotob patch only
    for users of SP1 and/or SP2 when those like me who would like to install SP2
    have not been able to do so because of the inherent problems in it.

    P. Jayant

    Prominently displayed at Windows Update:

    <QP>
    Windows XP users: new security updates are now available for SP1 and SP2
    only
    </QP>

    Get SP1 installed, at least.

    1. Run a thorough check for hijackware, including posting your HijackThis
    log to an appropriate forum.

    Check for Hijackware
    http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
    http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
    http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/Darnit.htm

    When all else fails, HijackThis (http://aumha.net/downloads/hijackthis.zip)
    is the preferred tool to use. It will help you to both identify and remove
    any hijackware/spyware.

    **Post your HijackThis log to http://forums.spywareinfo.com/,
    http://castlecops.com/forum67.html, http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30 or
    other appropriate forum for expert analysis, not here.**

    2. Do not install SP2 until an expert gives your HijackThis log a clean bill
    of health.

    Also see:

    What to Know Before Downloading/Installing SP2
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.mspx

    Installing SP2 Step-by-Step
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];xpsp2insthowto

    Troubleshooting Your Installation
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];xpsp2insttshoot

    WinXP SP2 FAQ: What to do after installing SP2
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;ln;xpsp2installed

    Service Pack (any) Installation Checklist (MVP Jupiter Jones)

    WinXP SP2-specific Page (MVP Jupiter Jones)
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/xpsp2.htm

    The hard disk space requirements for Windows XP Service Pack 2
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

    <snip>

    pjayant wrote:

    > Because of the loss of Network Connection Manager after installing SP2,
    > I have had to remove the SP2 upgrade which I had installed. Which means
    > both SP1 and SP2 are no more on my system. In that situation, can this
    > patch for the ZoTob worm be installed or is it not advisable?
    >
    > P. Jayant

Network Connection x86 Worm Windows XP