Windows update problem

I posted this in the Windows Update group and as an afterthought I
decided maybe I should post it here too...

I've browsed earlier posts but really haven't seen an answer yet.
I just upgraded a client's computer to Service Pack 2 and then ran into
problems with Windows Update. The first time I ran it it downloaded 30
updates and failed to install almost all of them. The NEXT time I ran it
it just listed two. They were KB898461 and the Windows Genuine Advantage
Verification Tool. I have installed the Windows installer 3.1 manually. I
also downloaded and installed the KB898461 update manually. Now the only
one that comes up that it can't install is the WGAVT. A look at my
history indicates that none of the original 30 were installed either.
So how do I get the Validation Tool to install so I can validate and get
the rest of them?

--
--- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---
6 answers Last reply

    Hi,

    Run the windowsupdate.log file on the system, look at the bottom for the the
    error codes relating to the most recent visit. Post back with them, or look
    for them here:
    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Menno Hershberger" <mhersh22@nosuchplace.net> wrote in message
    >I posted this in the Windows Update group and as an afterthought I
    > decided maybe I should post it here too...
    >
    > I've browsed earlier posts but really haven't seen an answer yet.
    > I just upgraded a client's computer to Service Pack 2 and then ran into
    > problems with Windows Update. The first time I ran it it downloaded 30
    > updates and failed to install almost all of them. The NEXT time I ran it
    > it just listed two. They were KB898461 and the Windows Genuine Advantage
    > Verification Tool. I have installed the Windows installer 3.1 manually. I
    > also downloaded and installed the KB898461 update manually. Now the only
    > one that comes up that it can't install is the WGAVT. A look at my
    > history indicates that none of the original 30 were installed either.
    > So how do I get the Validation Tool to install so I can validate and get
    > the rest of them?
    >
    > --
    > --- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---

    OK, someone in the other group showed me how to install the validation
    tool manually and I now have it validated. However there are 27
    remaining updates it won't install. I'll so get that log and post it
    shortly.
    Thanks for your assistance.

    "Rick \"Nutcase\" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in

    > Hi,
    >
    > Run the windowsupdate.log file on the system, look at the bottom for
    > the the error codes relating to the most recent visit. Post back with
    > them, or look for them here:
    > http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/

    --
    --- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---

    Hmm.. there IS no log.

    > OK, someone in the other group showed me how to install the validation
    > tool manually and I now have it validated. However there are 27
    > remaining updates it won't install. I'll so get that log and post it
    > shortly.
    > Thanks for your assistance.
    >
    > "Rick \"Nutcase\" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Run the windowsupdate.log file on the system, look at the bottom for
    >> the the error codes relating to the most recent visit. Post back with
    >> them, or look for them here:
    >> http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/

    --
    --- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---

    1. See the "Need more help? Tell us what problem you are having" section of
    http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=ph;en-us;6527

    2. You cannot install some updates or programs
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822798

    3a. Check Windowsupdate.log (%windir%\Windowsupdate.log) for errors
    associated with the download/install.

    How to read the Windowsupdate.log file:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=902093

    3b. Compare errors to those listed here:
    http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive/windows_update_codes.htm and/or go to
    http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com > click on Help and Support link in left
    pane > Solve problems on your own.

    4. Windows Update Checklist:
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/updtcl.htm

    5. Windows Update-specific newsgroup:

    Archive of Windows Update newsgroup:
    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate

    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

    Menno Hershberger wrote:
    > I posted this in the Windows Update group and as an afterthought I
    > decided maybe I should post it here too...
    >
    > I've browsed earlier posts but really haven't seen an answer yet.
    > I just upgraded a client's computer to Service Pack 2 and then ran into
    > problems with Windows Update. The first time I ran it it downloaded 30
    > updates and failed to install almost all of them. The NEXT time I ran it
    > it just listed two. They were KB898461 and the Windows Genuine Advantage
    > Verification Tool. I have installed the Windows installer 3.1 manually. I
    > also downloaded and installed the KB898461 update manually. Now the only
    > one that comes up that it can't install is the WGAVT. A look at my
    > history indicates that none of the original 30 were installed either.
    > So how do I get the Validation Tool to install so I can validate and get
    > the rest of them?

    Hi,

    Click start/run, type:

    %windir%\windowsupdate.log

    and click ok.

    --

    > Hmm.. there IS no log.
    >
    > Menno Hershberger <mhersh22@nosuchplace.net> wrote in
    >
    >> OK, someone in the other group showed me how to install the validation
    >> tool manually and I now have it validated. However there are 27
    >> remaining updates it won't install. I'll so get that log and post it
    >> shortly.
    >> Thanks for your assistance.
    >>
    >> "Rick \"Nutcase\" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> Run the windowsupdate.log file on the system, look at the bottom for
    >>> the the error codes relating to the most recent visit. Post back with
    >>> them, or look for them here:
    >>> http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/
    >>>

    > --
    > --- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---

    <sniff>
    --
    ~PAÞ

    Menno Hershberger wrote:
    <snip>
    > Thanks for pitching in. When I Google for stuff, your name comes up a
    > lot! You've got a good reputation... :-)
    >
    > "Rick \"Nutcase\" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in news:OPRt5TJqFHA.2816
    > @tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Click start/run, type:
    > >
    > > %windir%\windowsupdate.log
    > >
    > > and click ok.

Windows Installer Windows Update Microsoft Windows XP