shared 2mb video
56k rockwell modem with built in sound

second computer -
AMD Athlon 750 (k7)
256 MB PC133
8MB AGP Video
Same sound/modem
same cdrom

Anywho its really funny because for some reason the 433 runs better in every way then the 750! I have xp pro on both. all the updated drivers and windows xp updates. I use the computers for a downloading machine. i have it download so that my main system isnt all all the time.
It takes like 1 min for my 750 machine to get to windows up. and when i play video or mp3s they skip on the 750. any sugestions?

PS I have redone the systesm like 400 times.

Supporting AMD with your breakable stuff.

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
i don't beleive intel made any 433mhz cpus...well at least no pII or pIII's at that speed

3 386DX-25's...12 volts...glue and some ln2 and a wicked amount of overclocking and you get a willamantee minus 36 pins, 33.75 million transistors and a couple hundred mhz... :cool:

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
The only 433 Intel I see (at least in a desktop)
is a Celeron.

That doesn't help explain things.

Faulty components/power supply? What are the voltages?
Really, really, really, sucky mobo?
What are the specs on the respective hard drives?
Active processes you don't know are running?
Problem with XP? Use a different OS?

The loving are the daring!

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
woops...i was not thinking about celeries...yes they indeed did make a 433mhz celeron...the fact that it is performang better than a athlon of any speed baffles me... some pII's performed beter than that celeron...

Do you have any benchmark scores that prove that the celeron is infact faster?

3 386DX-25's...12 volts...glue and some ln2 and a wicked amount of overclocking and you get a willamantee minus 36 pins, 33.75 million transistors and a couple hundred mhz... :cool:

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
These setups seem a bit light to run XP. I'm actually shocked XP will come up with only 64MB of RAM. I've seen it sticky with 512.

All NTFS(XPFS) file systems?
I'm betting XP is not happy to see the 750

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
this is definitly 98se or windows 2k territory...

I would say the os is the problem...probably the celeron machine fares better because it has more efficient MMX support...that is my best guess...

Deffinitly downgrade to a lessor os...windows 2000 has all the features of xp just it does not have the fruity colors or stoned dogs...

skligmund

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2002
All I can say is incorrect drivers somewhere, or faulty hardware. There is absolutely NO reason for the Athlon 750 to not blow the doors off a 433 celerey. Actually, it pretty much requires an act of god. I would list your motherboard, ram and video card specifics (is it a TNT2 card? or something CREATIVE made?)

I too once had money, then I got into computers...
<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6607283" target="_new"> 3DMark </A>
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=24383" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

wolverinero79

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
No one remembers the old celerons, do they? Back in the times of the P2-P3 transition (when Pentiums were around 450 Mhz), AMD wasn't considered as a solution. The celerons were the cheap underdog that could be overclocked well, while the Pentiums offered stability. I remember having a P2 450 and my friend's celeron 300a clocked to 464 or something like that beat my chip in every benchmark we could come up with at the time :).

Although beating an AMD 750 sounds a little too high...

I'm just your average habitual smiler =D

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
All the athlons of the PIII era performed pretty much on par with a similarly clocked PIII, so you're saying a Celery 433 w/ 64Mb of RAM can beat a PIII w/256Mb...

That is <b><i>so definitely</b></i> a driver/configuration issue. that AMD system is being horribly crippled by something.

Wonder if he's got the CDROM sharing an IDE channel with the main HDD or something... that could seriously impact performance...

---
$hit Happens. I just wish it would happen to someone else for a change.

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
honestly i don't know why i forgot about the celeron 433 as i was recently helping troubleshoot for someone who was using a celery 433....About the celerons being any good...the first pII based celerons sucked with no level 2 cache they were terrable...latter the coppermine celeries got better and the tualatin celerons are just amazing...equaling a simularly clocked copermine pIII (with the same fsb of course)...

3 386DX-25's...12 volts...glue some ln2 and a wicked amount of overclocking and you get a willamantee minus 36 pins, 33.75 million transistors and a couple hundred mhz... :cool:

songoku

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2003
well both mb are hp style. i do know that it is the 750's mb. I pluged it into an old mb i just found and it worked great before my roommate's friend spilled pop all over it. any sigestions on a different mb. remeber its a k7 slota

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
are you sure it is atx...most hp stuff of that era was proprietory...

3 386DX-25's...12 volts...glue some ln2 and a wicked amount of overclocking and you get a willamantee minus 36 pins, 33.75 million transistors and a couple hundred mhz... :cool:

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Well... If you're gonna buy a new mobo, particularly an old hard-to-find Slot one, it really won't cost much extra to just get a Socket 'A' one, and shove a duron 1300 in it, or a t-bred 'b' 1700XP.... and which mobo depends on whether you'd want to keep your PC133 RAM or buy some new DDR...

---

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
good point that... If you've got a weird non-atx PSU/case, you're looking at either a total overhaul, or living with what you got...

---

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
You mean you have everyone pulling their hair out :wink: because your friend spilled pop on the board!

Geez! You know u could have told people that from the beginning.

I know how to fix the problem. While the Mobo is attached to a power water supply you should wash it! That will get the pop off. (hehe, J/K don't do it).

TknD

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
There is a bootvis utility from microsoft that "watches" your computer as it boots and gives you a report of what happened--more specifically, how long it took certain processes or drivers to load during startup. But the ms site says it temporarily unavailable... <A HREF="http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hwdev/platform/performance/fastboot/BootVis.mspx" target="_new">http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hwdev/platform/performance/fastboot/BootVis.mspx</A>

I think it is a driver problem. There's one bad driver being used somewhere which is slowing everything down.

songoku

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2003
the only driver that could be it is the video driver. I have the s3 trio 2d/3d. A very crappy card but hey why does this system need a good one? any who i will try new drivers. PS the 750's only hp part is the sound/modem and the mb. everything else is normal.

whisky

Distinguished
May 2, 2003
yep intel made celeron cpu's at 433 mhz .. mendocino core .. 128 k .. well i have one.. i think the HP u have is a pavilion with 15" monitor and ATI rage graphics.. they are fine .. (not very good but just fine).. i was using my celeron 433 at 539mhz too bad but it used to refuse runing at 100mhz fsb ... (it would be 650mhz if it could).. best thing to do is runing them on 83mhz fsb.. anyway ... well it might just be the programs runing on ur computers.. i dont think a celeron 433 would run faster than an amd 750 .. i love intel cpu's but that is not realistic..

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
What sort of hdds are in the machines, and how are they configured?

I severly crippled a pc by slaving an LS120 drive to the main HDD, so it started running in PIO4 rather than ATA66[or whatever it was] added minutes to the boot-up time, as disk access was soooo slow.

Perhaps a dodgy IDE cable could have a similar effect. try replacing it, if you've got a spare lying around.

---