anyone know what this is, and how to fix?

screenshot of the problem is here http://www.mykismit.com/1.JPG

I was following a "How to" here on the support site and i hit START/RUN, and
typed regedit and this is what popped up.

And I have tried it about ten times after this, with same
outcome....BUT....if I type Command and open the command prompt, and type
regedit, it opens.....LOL

please tell me there is an easy fix. And what and how did it happen, and
whats with the code stuff the dos window is displaying?

regards,

Shane Oswald
4 answers Last reply
More about anyone

    Hi,

    Start/run regedit.exe

    Also, delete regedit.com, as it may be a malicious file.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "not lee harvey. Oswald" <notleeharveyOswald@discussions.microsoft.com>
    wrote in message news:303A9823-4012-4C73-9F5F-B9C5D748848D@microsoft.com...
    > screenshot of the problem is here http://www.mykismit.com/1.JPG
    >
    > I was following a "How to" here on the support site and i hit START/RUN,
    > and
    > typed regedit and this is what popped up.
    >
    > And I have tried it about ten times after this, with same
    > outcome....BUT....if I type Command and open the command prompt, and type
    > regedit, it opens.....LOL
    >
    > please tell me there is an easy fix. And what and how did it happen, and
    > whats with the code stuff the dos window is displaying?
    >
    > regards,
    >
    > Shane Oswald

    wow. Thanks, that was fast and simple.

    Rick, do you know what kind of code that looked like on that dos prompt from
    the image? Any ideas?
    If you have the time, please let me know.

    Regards

    and thanks

    Shane Oswald

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Start/run regedit.exe
    >
    > Also, delete regedit.com, as it may be a malicious file.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "not lee harvey. Oswald" <notleeharveyOswald@discussions.microsoft.com>
    > wrote in message news:303A9823-4012-4C73-9F5F-B9C5D748848D@microsoft.com...
    > > screenshot of the problem is here http://www.mykismit.com/1.JPG
    > >
    > > I was following a "How to" here on the support site and i hit START/RUN,
    > > and
    > > typed regedit and this is what popped up.
    > >
    > > And I have tried it about ten times after this, with same
    > > outcome....BUT....if I type Command and open the command prompt, and type
    > > regedit, it opens.....LOL
    > >
    > > please tell me there is an easy fix. And what and how did it happen, and
    > > whats with the code stuff the dos window is displaying?
    > >
    > > regards,
    > >
    > > Shane Oswald

    "not lee harvey. Oswald"
    <notleeharveyOswald@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    |>wow. Thanks, that was fast and simple.
    |>
    |>Rick, do you know what kind of code that looked like on that dos prompt from
    |>the image? Any ideas?
    |>If you have the time, please let me know.

    Not Rick, but I can tell you it's a binary file type'd out.

    In a Dos window input: type <file of your choice.exe> <enter>
    You'll get the same thing, make it a small file :)

    If you still have the Regedit.com file - Open it in a decent text
    editor, and look for key words, you might find clues as to the file it
    type'd out.

    |>Regards
    |>
    |>and thanks
    |>
    |>Shane Oswald
    |>
    |>"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    |>
    |>> Hi,
    |>>
    |>> Start/run regedit.exe
    |>>
    |>> Also, delete regedit.com, as it may be a malicious file.
    |>>
    |>> --
    |>> Best of Luck,
    |>>
    |>> Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
    |>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    |>> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    |>> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    |>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    Shane,

    Regedit.com is most likely a Malware. If both Regedit.exe (legitimate) and
    Regedit.com (Trojan) are present in your Windows or System32 folder, the
    file with the .COM extension takes precedence. See the last part here:

    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/toolsquit.htm

    and

    http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/virus.aspx?id=43234

    Try scanning with Trend Micro Sysclean package, by Trend Micro, Inc.
    http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=10820

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    wrote in message news:F03D7E2A-F4ED-4665-9811-3A90ACE69D99@microsoft.com...
    > wow. Thanks, that was fast and simple.
    >
    > Rick, do you know what kind of code that looked like on that dos prompt
    > from
    > the image? Any ideas?
    > If you have the time, please let me know.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > and thanks
    >
    > Shane Oswald
    >
    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Start/run regedit.exe
    >>
    >> Also, delete regedit.com, as it may be a malicious file.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "not lee harvey. Oswald" <notleeharveyOswald@discussions.microsoft.com>
    >> wrote in message
    >> > screenshot of the problem is here http://www.mykismit.com/1.JPG
    >> >
    >> > I was following a "How to" here on the support site and i hit
    >> > START/RUN,
    >> > and
    >> > typed regedit and this is what popped up.
    >> >
    >> > And I have tried it about ten times after this, with same
    >> > outcome....BUT....if I type Command and open the command prompt, and
    >> > type
    >> > regedit, it opens.....LOL
    >> >
    >> > please tell me there is an easy fix. And what and how did it happen,
    >> > and
    >> > whats with the code stuff the dos window is displaying?
    >> >
    >> > regards,
    >> >
    >> > Shane Oswald

Command Prompt Regedit Windows XP