anyone know what this is, and how to fix?

August 23, 2005 9:52:21 PM

screenshot of the problem is here http://www.mykismit.com/1.JPG

I was following a "How to" here on the support site and i hit START/RUN, and
typed regedit and this is what popped up.

And I have tried it about ten times after this, with same
outcome....BUT....if I type Command and open the command prompt, and type
regedit, it opens.....LOL

please tell me there is an easy fix. And what and how did it happen, and
whats with the code stuff the dos window is displaying?

regards,

Shane Oswald

More about : fix

Anonymous
August 24, 2005 1:22:27 AM

Hi,

Start/run regedit.exe

Also, delete regedit.com, as it may be a malicious file.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"not lee harvey. Oswald" <notleeharveyOswald@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in message news:303A9823-4012-4C73-9F5F-B9C5D748848D@microsoft.com...
> screenshot of the problem is here http://www.mykismit.com/1.JPG
>
> I was following a "How to" here on the support site and i hit START/RUN,
> and
> typed regedit and this is what popped up.
>
> And I have tried it about ten times after this, with same
> outcome....BUT....if I type Command and open the command prompt, and type
> regedit, it opens.....LOL
>
> please tell me there is an easy fix. And what and how did it happen, and
> whats with the code stuff the dos window is displaying?
>
> regards,
>
> Shane Oswald
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 1:22:28 AM

wow. Thanks, that was fast and simple.

Rick, do you know what kind of code that looked like on that dos prompt from
the image? Any ideas?
If you have the time, please let me know.

Regards

and thanks

Shane Oswald

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Start/run regedit.exe
>
> Also, delete regedit.com, as it may be a malicious file.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "not lee harvey. Oswald" <notleeharveyOswald@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote in message news:303A9823-4012-4C73-9F5F-B9C5D748848D@microsoft.com...
> > screenshot of the problem is here http://www.mykismit.com/1.JPG
> >
> > I was following a "How to" here on the support site and i hit START/RUN,
> > and
> > typed regedit and this is what popped up.
> >
> > And I have tried it about ten times after this, with same
> > outcome....BUT....if I type Command and open the command prompt, and type
> > regedit, it opens.....LOL
> >
> > please tell me there is an easy fix. And what and how did it happen, and
> > whats with the code stuff the dos window is displaying?
> >
> > regards,
> >
> > Shane Oswald

August 24, 2005 3:15:32 AM

"not lee harvey. Oswald"
<notleeharveyOswald@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

|>wow. Thanks, that was fast and simple.
|>
|>Rick, do you know what kind of code that looked like on that dos prompt from
|>the image? Any ideas?
|>If you have the time, please let me know.

Not Rick, but I can tell you it's a binary file type'd out.

In a Dos window input: type <file of your choice.exe> <enter>
You'll get the same thing, make it a small file :)

If you still have the Regedit.com file - Open it in a decent text
editor, and look for key words, you might find clues as to the file it
type'd out.

|>Regards
|>
|>and thanks
|>
|>Shane Oswald
|>
|>"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
|>
|>> Hi,
|>>
|>> Start/run regedit.exe
|>>
|>> Also, delete regedit.com, as it may be a malicious file.
|>>
|>> --
|>> Best of Luck,
|>>
|>> Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
|>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
|>> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
|>> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
|>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

August 24, 2005 12:47:58 PM

Shane,

Regedit.com is most likely a Malware. If both Regedit.exe (legitimate) and
Regedit.com (Trojan) are present in your Windows or System32 folder, the
file with the .COM extension takes precedence. See the last part here:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/toolsquit.htm

and

http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/virus.aspx...

Try scanning with Trend Micro Sysclean package, by Trend Micro, Inc.
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=10820

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User