Mac

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi,

I have three partitions on my hard drive. Is it possible to make one of them
private and protect it with a password? I am using XP home and have admin
privileges. I am trying to password protect it so other users of the PC
would not be able to access the partition. Thanks.

Mac wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I have three partitions on my hard drive. Is it possible to make one of them
> private and protect it with a password? I am using XP home and have admin
> privileges. I am trying to password protect it so other users of the PC
> would not be able to access the partition. Thanks.

Like Win2K, WinXP's file security paradigm doesn't rely on, or
allow, the cumbersome method of password protection for individual
applications, files, or folders. Instead, it uses the superior method
of explicitly assigning file/folder permissions to individual users
and/or groups.

HOW TO Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q308418

HOW TO Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and
Folders
;Q308419]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];Q308419

HOW TO Set the My Documents Folder as Private in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298399

Of course, if you have WinXP Pro, you can encrypt the desired
files/folders.

Best Practices for Encrypting File System
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;223316

As a crude work-around, if you actually prefer Win9x's way, you
can place the file in a compressed folder, and set a password to
uncompress the folder to view/access its contents.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi,

WinXP doesn't support passwording folders or volumes. It only supports
passwording compressed (zipped) folders. What you would want to do is set
permissions on the folders you want to protect in order to block other users
from accessing them. As you are using WinXP Home, you will need to restart
in Safe mode and logon as administrator to do this.

How to start in Safe mode:
http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Safe%20mode

HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions in Windows
XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308418

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Mac" <Saranot1976@BADhotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>

> I have three partitions on my hard drive. Is it possible to make one of
> them private and protect it with a password? I am using XP home and have
> admin privileges. I am trying to password protect it so other users of the
> PC would not be able to access the partition. Thanks.

kelly

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi Mac,

You can hide and restrict it. Would just post the keys but is more
complicated than that. Have been using this method for years. It takes two
steps. Follow each below:

Hide Drives in My Computer

Prevent Access to the Contents of Selected Drives

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"Mac" <Saranot1976@BADhotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>

> I have three partitions on my hard drive. Is it possible to make one of
> them private and protect it with a password? I am using XP home and have
> admin privileges. I am trying to password protect it so other users of the
> PC would not be able to access the partition. Thanks.

Mac

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Thanks Rick and Bruce!

Basically, I have to take my Toshiba laptop to a repair authorized center
for service! They have to replace the wireless chip and one of the speakers.
I have too much personal, financial and work information on it and I wanted
to make sure that it is protected when the laptop is being worked on! I was
thinking of creating a new user account for the tech to use! Although, after
reading what you posted I don't think that doing that would guarantee
safety! After all, he is a computer tech and I am sure that he will get into
my stuff if he wanted to! I know that I am being a little paranoid but you
never know, better safe than sorry!

I've own laptops for the last 10 years and fortunately I never had to send
any in for service! Unfortunately, now I do and I have no clue what people
usually do when they are faced with such a predicament. To be safe, I am
going to order a 40GB hard drive from Toshiba and load the OEM OS on it and
send that in for service! I think this would be the appropriate and safe
way to go!

Thanks again and if you have any other thoughts or suggestion, please feel
free to post back!

> Hi,
>
> WinXP doesn't support passwording folders or volumes. It only supports
> passwording compressed (zipped) folders. What you would want to do is set
> permissions on the folders you want to protect in order to block other
> users from accessing them. As you are using WinXP Home, you will need to
> restart in Safe mode and logon as administrator to do this.
>
> How to start in Safe mode:
> http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Safe%20mode
>
> HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions in
> Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308418
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Mac" <Saranot1976@BADhotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>

>> I have three partitions on my hard drive. Is it possible to make one of
>> them private and protect it with a password? I am using XP home and have
>> admin privileges. I am trying to password protect it so other users of
>> the PC would not be able to access the partition. Thanks.

kelly

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Ouch, now that is a totally different ballgame. You have the right to be
worried. Depending on how intense the testing is going to be for your
repairs, passwording all other accounts and leaving them with an available
(non-passworded) account to enter should be enough. Good luck either way!

--

> Thanks Rick and Bruce!
>

> Basically, I have to take my Toshiba laptop to a repair authorized center
> for service! They have to replace the wireless chip and one of the
> speakers. I have too much personal, financial and work information on it
> and I wanted to make sure that it is protected when the laptop is being
> worked on! I was thinking of creating a new user account for the tech to
> use! Although, after reading what you posted I don't think that doing that
> would guarantee safety! After all, he is a computer tech and I am sure
> that he will get into my stuff if he wanted to! I know that I am being a
> little paranoid but you never know, better safe than sorry!
>

> I've own laptops for the last 10 years and fortunately I never had to send
> any in for service! Unfortunately, now I do and I have no clue what people
> usually do when they are faced with such a predicament. To be safe, I am
> going to order a 40GB hard drive from Toshiba and load the OEM OS on it
> and send that in for service! I think this would be the appropriate and
> safe way to go!
>

> Thanks again and if you have any other thoughts or suggestion, please feel
> free to post back!

>> Hi,
>>
>> WinXP doesn't support passwording folders or volumes. It only supports
>> passwording compressed (zipped) folders. What you would want to do is set
>> permissions on the folders you want to protect in order to block other
>> users from accessing them. As you are using WinXP Home, you will need to
>> restart in Safe mode and logon as administrator to do this.
>>
>> How to start in Safe mode:
>> http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Safe%20mode
>>
>> HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions in
>> Windows XP
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308418
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Mac" <Saranot1976@BADhotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>>

>>> I have three partitions on my hard drive. Is it possible to make one of
>>> them private and protect it with a password? I am using XP home and have
>>> admin privileges. I am trying to password protect it so other users of
>>> the PC would not be able to access the partition. Thanks.

Mac

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi Kelly,

Thanks but I don't think I am that good when it comes to messing with the
registry. I am just going to buy an extra hard drive from Toshiba and use it
to send the PC in for repair as I mentioned in my other post. Thanks again.

> Hi Mac,
>
> You can hide and restrict it. Would just post the keys but is more
> complicated than that. Have been using this method for years. It takes
> two steps. Follow each below:
>
> Hide Drives in My Computer
> http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/148/
>
> Prevent Access to the Contents of Selected Drives
> http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/1157/
>
> --
>
> All the Best,
> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>

> "Mac" <Saranot1976@BADhotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>

>> I have three partitions on my hard drive. Is it possible to make one of
>> them private and protect it with a password? I am using XP home and have
>> admin privileges. I am trying to password protect it so other users of
>> the PC would not be able to access the partition. Thanks.

kelly

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi Mac,

You are most welcome. But ignore my previous instructions as it was
intended for a different purpose. Hope all goes well. :eek:)

--

> Hi Kelly,
>

> Thanks but I don't think I am that good when it comes to messing with the
> registry. I am just going to buy an extra hard drive from Toshiba and use
> it to send the PC in for repair as I mentioned in my other post. Thanks
> again.

>> Hi Mac,
>>
>> You can hide and restrict it. Would just post the keys but is more
>> complicated than that. Have been using this method for years. It takes
>> two steps. Follow each below:
>>
>> Hide Drives in My Computer
>> http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/148/
>>
>> Prevent Access to the Contents of Selected Drives
>> http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/1157/
>>
>> --
>>
>> All the Best,
>> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>>
>> Troubleshooting Windows XP
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm
>>

>> "Mac" <Saranot1976@BADhotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>>

>>> I have three partitions on my hard drive. Is it possible to make one of
>>> them private and protect it with a password? I am using XP home and have
>>> admin privileges. I am trying to password protect it so other users of
>>> the PC would not be able to access the partition. Thanks.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Invariably, the repair shop will need the administator password. Other
methods of partition hiding outside of the OS can easily be overcome in the
shop.
Removable media or hard drive is your best bet.

Mac wrote:
> Thanks Rick and Bruce!

You're welcome.

> Basically, I have to take my Toshiba laptop to a repair authorized center
> for service! They have to replace the wireless chip and one of the speakers.
> I have too much personal, financial and work information on it and I wanted
> to make sure that it is protected when the laptop is being worked on!

Why not just remove the hard drive before you send/take the laptop in
for repair? The technician certainly doesn't need a hard drive to
affect the specified repair, nor to test it afterwards, if it's an
authorized repair center. Further, every reputable laptop repair
facility with which I've ever dealt has insisted that I remove the hard
drive, any PC Cards, and/or removable modules (CD, Floppy drives)
*before* shipping the laptop.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Lil' Dave wrote:
> Invariably, the repair shop will need the administator password.

Not at all true. No properly equipped "authorized repair center" would
even need a hard drive in the laptop to perform the necessary repairs.
In fact, it's standard practice for reputable repair facilities to
insist that the hard drive *not* be installed when the laptop is
submitted for repair.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Mac

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Thanks again Bruce!

You are correct! Talking to a friend this morning, he said the same thing so
I called the shop again and I requested to talk to the manager/supervisor.
The manager said that I can take the drive out or he will personally do it
when I drop the laptop off at the shop tomorrow! He apologized about the
technician insisting that I leave it in. He said he is new and still in
training! I am truly relieved!

> Mac wrote:
>> Thanks Rick and Bruce!
>>

> You're welcome.
>

>> Basically, I have to take my Toshiba laptop to a repair authorized center
>> for service! They have to replace the wireless chip and one of the
>> speakers. I have too much personal, financial and work information on it
>> and I wanted to make sure that it is protected when the laptop is being
>> worked on!
>

> Why not just remove the hard drive before you send/take the laptop in for
> repair? The technician certainly doesn't need a hard drive to affect the
> specified repair, nor to test it afterwards, if it's an authorized repair
> center. Further, every reputable laptop repair facility with which I've
> ever dealt has insisted that I remove the hard drive, any PC Cards, and/or
> removable modules (CD, Floppy drives) *before* shipping the laptop.
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> both at once. - RAH

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 19:50:34 -0600, Bruce Chambers
<bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote:

>Lil' Dave wrote:
>> Invariably, the repair shop will need the administator password.
>

> Not at all true. No properly equipped "authorized repair center" would
>even need a hard drive in the laptop to perform the necessary repairs.
>In fact, it's standard practice for reputable repair facilities to
>insist that the hard drive *not* be installed when the laptop is
>submitted for repair.

Hmm -- I had to send my Acer notebook in for warranty repair this
month, and they wanted my administrator password, even though it was
pretty clearly a motherboard or power-supply issue. (The person on
the phone agreed with that assessment; that wasn't just my feeling.)

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"My theory was a perfectly good one. The facts were misleading."
-- /The Lady Vanishes/ (1938)

Mac wrote:
> Thanks again Bruce!
>

> You are correct! Talking to a friend this morning, he said the same thing so
> I called the shop again and I requested to talk to the manager/supervisor.
> The manager said that I can take the drive out or he will personally do it
> when I drop the laptop off at the shop tomorrow! He apologized about the
> technician insisting that I leave it in. He said he is new and still in
> training! I am truly relieved!

You're very welcome.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Stan Brown wrote:

> Hmm -- I had to send my Acer notebook in for warranty repair this
> month, and they wanted my administrator password, even though it was
> pretty clearly a motherboard or power-supply issue. (The person on
> the phone agreed with that assessment; that wasn't just my feeling.)

I've never dealt with Acer, so I certainly won't doubt your experience.
They would need the password if they were troubleshooting a software
problem, but definitely not for a hardware issue. I think the operative
phrase is ".... reputable repair facilities....."

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 19:17:47 -0600, Bruce Chambers
<bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote:

>Stan Brown wrote:
>

>> Hmm -- I had to send my Acer notebook in for warranty repair this
>> month, and they wanted my administrator password, even though it was
>> pretty clearly a motherboard or power-supply issue. (The person on
>> the phone agreed with that assessment; that wasn't just my feeling.)
>>

> I've never dealt with Acer, so I certainly won't doubt your experience.
> They would need the password if they were troubleshooting a software
>problem, but definitely not for a hardware issue. I think the operative
>phrase is ".... reputable repair facilities....."

Ouch!

:)

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"What in heaven's name brought you to Casablanca?"
"My health. I came to Casablanca for the waters."
"The waters? What waters? We're in the desert."