Making a partition privat?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi,

I have three partitions on my hard drive. Is it possible to make one of them
private and protect it with a password? I am using XP home and have admin
privileges. I am trying to password protect it so other users of the PC
would not be able to access the partition. Thanks.
15 answers Last reply
More about making partition privat
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Mac wrote:
    > Hi,
    >

    > I have three partitions on my hard drive. Is it possible to make one of them
    > private and protect it with a password? I am using XP home and have admin
    > privileges. I am trying to password protect it so other users of the PC
    > would not be able to access the partition. Thanks.

    Like Win2K, WinXP's file security paradigm doesn't rely on, or
    allow, the cumbersome method of password protection for individual
    applications, files, or folders. Instead, it uses the superior method
    of explicitly assigning file/folder permissions to individual users
    and/or groups.

    HOW TO Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q308418

    HOW TO Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and
    Folders
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];Q308419

    HOW TO Set the My Documents Folder as Private in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298399

    Of course, if you have WinXP Pro, you can encrypt the desired
    files/folders.

    Best Practices for Encrypting File System
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;223316

    As a crude work-around, if you actually prefer Win9x's way, you
    can place the file in a compressed folder, and set a password to
    uncompress the folder to view/access its contents.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Hi,

    WinXP doesn't support passwording folders or volumes. It only supports
    passwording compressed (zipped) folders. What you would want to do is set
    permissions on the folders you want to protect in order to block other users
    from accessing them. As you are using WinXP Home, you will need to restart
    in Safe mode and logon as administrator to do this.

    How to start in Safe mode:
    http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Safe%20mode

    HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions in Windows
    XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308418

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Mac" <Saranot1976@BADhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >

    > I have three partitions on my hard drive. Is it possible to make one of
    > them private and protect it with a password? I am using XP home and have
    > admin privileges. I am trying to password protect it so other users of the
    > PC would not be able to access the partition. Thanks.

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Hi Mac,

    You can hide and restrict it. Would just post the keys but is more
    complicated than that. Have been using this method for years. It takes two
    steps. Follow each below:

    Hide Drives in My Computer

    Prevent Access to the Contents of Selected Drives

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "Mac" <Saranot1976@BADhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >

    > I have three partitions on my hard drive. Is it possible to make one of
    > them private and protect it with a password? I am using XP home and have
    > admin privileges. I am trying to password protect it so other users of the
    > PC would not be able to access the partition. Thanks.

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Thanks Rick and Bruce!

    Basically, I have to take my Toshiba laptop to a repair authorized center
    for service! They have to replace the wireless chip and one of the speakers.
    I have too much personal, financial and work information on it and I wanted
    to make sure that it is protected when the laptop is being worked on! I was
    thinking of creating a new user account for the tech to use! Although, after
    reading what you posted I don't think that doing that would guarantee
    safety! After all, he is a computer tech and I am sure that he will get into
    my stuff if he wanted to! I know that I am being a little paranoid but you
    never know, better safe than sorry!

    I've own laptops for the last 10 years and fortunately I never had to send
    any in for service! Unfortunately, now I do and I have no clue what people
    usually do when they are faced with such a predicament. To be safe, I am
    going to order a 40GB hard drive from Toshiba and load the OEM OS on it and
    send that in for service! I think this would be the appropriate and safe
    way to go!

    Thanks again and if you have any other thoughts or suggestion, please feel
    free to post back!

    > Hi,
    >
    > WinXP doesn't support passwording folders or volumes. It only supports
    > passwording compressed (zipped) folders. What you would want to do is set
    > permissions on the folders you want to protect in order to block other
    > users from accessing them. As you are using WinXP Home, you will need to
    > restart in Safe mode and logon as administrator to do this.
    >
    > How to start in Safe mode:
    > http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Safe%20mode
    >
    > HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions in
    > Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308418
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Mac" <Saranot1976@BADhotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>

    >> I have three partitions on my hard drive. Is it possible to make one of
    >> them private and protect it with a password? I am using XP home and have
    >> admin privileges. I am trying to password protect it so other users of
    >> the PC would not be able to access the partition. Thanks.

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Ouch, now that is a totally different ballgame. You have the right to be
    worried. Depending on how intense the testing is going to be for your
    repairs, passwording all other accounts and leaving them with an available
    (non-passworded) account to enter should be enough. Good luck either way!

    --

    > Thanks Rick and Bruce!
    >

    > Basically, I have to take my Toshiba laptop to a repair authorized center
    > for service! They have to replace the wireless chip and one of the
    > speakers. I have too much personal, financial and work information on it
    > and I wanted to make sure that it is protected when the laptop is being
    > worked on! I was thinking of creating a new user account for the tech to
    > use! Although, after reading what you posted I don't think that doing that
    > would guarantee safety! After all, he is a computer tech and I am sure
    > that he will get into my stuff if he wanted to! I know that I am being a
    > little paranoid but you never know, better safe than sorry!
    >

    > I've own laptops for the last 10 years and fortunately I never had to send
    > any in for service! Unfortunately, now I do and I have no clue what people
    > usually do when they are faced with such a predicament. To be safe, I am
    > going to order a 40GB hard drive from Toshiba and load the OEM OS on it
    > and send that in for service! I think this would be the appropriate and
    > safe way to go!
    >

    > Thanks again and if you have any other thoughts or suggestion, please feel
    > free to post back!

    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> WinXP doesn't support passwording folders or volumes. It only supports
    >> passwording compressed (zipped) folders. What you would want to do is set
    >> permissions on the folders you want to protect in order to block other
    >> users from accessing them. As you are using WinXP Home, you will need to
    >> restart in Safe mode and logon as administrator to do this.
    >>
    >> How to start in Safe mode:
    >> http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Safe%20mode
    >>
    >> HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions in
    >> Windows XP
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308418
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "Mac" <Saranot1976@BADhotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hi,
    >>>

    >>> I have three partitions on my hard drive. Is it possible to make one of
    >>> them private and protect it with a password? I am using XP home and have
    >>> admin privileges. I am trying to password protect it so other users of
    >>> the PC would not be able to access the partition. Thanks.

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Hi Kelly,

    Thanks but I don't think I am that good when it comes to messing with the
    registry. I am just going to buy an extra hard drive from Toshiba and use it
    to send the PC in for repair as I mentioned in my other post. Thanks again.

    > Hi Mac,
    >
    > You can hide and restrict it. Would just post the keys but is more
    > complicated than that. Have been using this method for years. It takes
    > two steps. Follow each below:
    >
    > Hide Drives in My Computer
    > http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/148/
    >
    > Prevent Access to the Contents of Selected Drives
    > http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/1157/
    >
    > --
    >
    > All the Best,
    > Kelly (MS-MVP)
    >
    > Troubleshooting Windows XP
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >

    > "Mac" <Saranot1976@BADhotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>

    >> I have three partitions on my hard drive. Is it possible to make one of
    >> them private and protect it with a password? I am using XP home and have
    >> admin privileges. I am trying to password protect it so other users of
    >> the PC would not be able to access the partition. Thanks.

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Hi Mac,

    You are most welcome. But ignore my previous instructions as it was
    intended for a different purpose. Hope all goes well. :o)

    --

    > Hi Kelly,
    >

    > Thanks but I don't think I am that good when it comes to messing with the
    > registry. I am just going to buy an extra hard drive from Toshiba and use
    > it to send the PC in for repair as I mentioned in my other post. Thanks
    > again.

    >> Hi Mac,
    >>
    >> You can hide and restrict it. Would just post the keys but is more
    >> complicated than that. Have been using this method for years. It takes
    >> two steps. Follow each below:
    >>
    >> Hide Drives in My Computer
    >> http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/148/
    >>
    >> Prevent Access to the Contents of Selected Drives
    >> http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/1157/
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> All the Best,
    >> Kelly (MS-MVP)
    >>
    >> Troubleshooting Windows XP
    >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm
    >>

    >> "Mac" <Saranot1976@BADhotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hi,
    >>>

    >>> I have three partitions on my hard drive. Is it possible to make one of
    >>> them private and protect it with a password? I am using XP home and have
    >>> admin privileges. I am trying to password protect it so other users of
    >>> the PC would not be able to access the partition. Thanks.

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Invariably, the repair shop will need the administator password. Other
    methods of partition hiding outside of the OS can easily be overcome in the
    shop.
    Removable media or hard drive is your best bet.

    "Mac" <Saranot1976@BADhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks Rick and Bruce!
    >

    > Basically, I have to take my Toshiba laptop to a repair authorized center
    > for service! They have to replace the wireless chip and one of the
    speakers.
    > I have too much personal, financial and work information on it and I
    wanted
    > to make sure that it is protected when the laptop is being worked on! I
    was
    > thinking of creating a new user account for the tech to use! Although,
    after
    > reading what you posted I don't think that doing that would guarantee
    > safety! After all, he is a computer tech and I am sure that he will get
    into
    > my stuff if he wanted to! I know that I am being a little paranoid but you
    > never know, better safe than sorry!
    >

    > I've own laptops for the last 10 years and fortunately I never had to send
    > any in for service! Unfortunately, now I do and I have no clue what people
    > usually do when they are faced with such a predicament. To be safe, I am
    > going to order a 40GB hard drive from Toshiba and load the OEM OS on it
    and
    > send that in for service! I think this would be the appropriate and safe
    > way to go!
    >

    > Thanks again and if you have any other thoughts or suggestion, please feel
    > free to post back!

    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > WinXP doesn't support passwording folders or volumes. It only supports
    > > passwording compressed (zipped) folders. What you would want to do is
    set
    > > permissions on the folders you want to protect in order to block other
    > > users from accessing them. As you are using WinXP Home, you will need to
    > > restart in Safe mode and logon as administrator to do this.
    > >
    > > How to start in Safe mode:
    > > http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Safe%20mode
    > >
    > > HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions in
    > > Windows XP
    > >
    > > --
    > > Best of Luck,

    > > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > > Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    > > www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    > > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    > >
    > > "Mac" <Saranot1976@BADhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >> Hi,
    > >>

    > >> I have three partitions on my hard drive. Is it possible to make one of
    > >> them private and protect it with a password? I am using XP home and
    have
    > >> admin privileges. I am trying to password protect it so other users of
    > >> the PC would not be able to access the partition. Thanks.

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Mac wrote:
    > Thanks Rick and Bruce!

    You're welcome.

    > Basically, I have to take my Toshiba laptop to a repair authorized center
    > for service! They have to replace the wireless chip and one of the speakers.
    > I have too much personal, financial and work information on it and I wanted
    > to make sure that it is protected when the laptop is being worked on!

    Why not just remove the hard drive before you send/take the laptop in
    for repair? The technician certainly doesn't need a hard drive to
    affect the specified repair, nor to test it afterwards, if it's an
    authorized repair center. Further, every reputable laptop repair
    facility with which I've ever dealt has insisted that I remove the hard
    drive, any PC Cards, and/or removable modules (CD, Floppy drives)
    *before* shipping the laptop.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Lil' Dave wrote:
    > Invariably, the repair shop will need the administator password.

    Not at all true. No properly equipped "authorized repair center" would
    even need a hard drive in the laptop to perform the necessary repairs.
    In fact, it's standard practice for reputable repair facilities to
    insist that the hard drive *not* be installed when the laptop is
    submitted for repair.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Thanks again Bruce!

    You are correct! Talking to a friend this morning, he said the same thing so
    I called the shop again and I requested to talk to the manager/supervisor.
    The manager said that I can take the drive out or he will personally do it
    when I drop the laptop off at the shop tomorrow! He apologized about the
    technician insisting that I leave it in. He said he is new and still in
    training! I am truly relieved!

    > Mac wrote:
    >> Thanks Rick and Bruce!
    >>

    > You're welcome.
    >

    >> Basically, I have to take my Toshiba laptop to a repair authorized center
    >> for service! They have to replace the wireless chip and one of the
    >> speakers. I have too much personal, financial and work information on it
    >> and I wanted to make sure that it is protected when the laptop is being
    >> worked on!
    >

    > Why not just remove the hard drive before you send/take the laptop in for
    > repair? The technician certainly doesn't need a hard drive to affect the
    > specified repair, nor to test it afterwards, if it's an authorized repair
    > center. Further, every reputable laptop repair facility with which I've
    > ever dealt has insisted that I remove the hard drive, any PC Cards, and/or
    > removable modules (CD, Floppy drives) *before* shipping the laptop.
    >

    > --
    >
    > Bruce Chambers
    >
    > Help us help you:
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > both at once. - RAH

    On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 19:50:34 -0600, Bruce Chambers
    <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote:

    >Lil' Dave wrote:
    >> Invariably, the repair shop will need the administator password.
    >

    > Not at all true. No properly equipped "authorized repair center" would
    >even need a hard drive in the laptop to perform the necessary repairs.
    >In fact, it's standard practice for reputable repair facilities to
    >insist that the hard drive *not* be installed when the laptop is
    >submitted for repair.

    Hmm -- I had to send my Acer notebook in for warranty repair this
    month, and they wanted my administrator password, even though it was
    pretty clearly a motherboard or power-supply issue. (The person on
    the phone agreed with that assessment; that wasn't just my feeling.)

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    "My theory was a perfectly good one. The facts were misleading."
    -- /The Lady Vanishes/ (1938)
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Mac wrote:
    > Thanks again Bruce!
    >

    > You are correct! Talking to a friend this morning, he said the same thing so
    > I called the shop again and I requested to talk to the manager/supervisor.
    > The manager said that I can take the drive out or he will personally do it
    > when I drop the laptop off at the shop tomorrow! He apologized about the
    > technician insisting that I leave it in. He said he is new and still in
    > training! I am truly relieved!

    You're very welcome.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Stan Brown wrote:

    > Hmm -- I had to send my Acer notebook in for warranty repair this
    > month, and they wanted my administrator password, even though it was
    > pretty clearly a motherboard or power-supply issue. (The person on
    > the phone agreed with that assessment; that wasn't just my feeling.)

    I've never dealt with Acer, so I certainly won't doubt your experience.
    They would need the password if they were troubleshooting a software
    problem, but definitely not for a hardware issue. I think the operative
    phrase is ".... reputable repair facilities....."

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 19:17:47 -0600, Bruce Chambers
    <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote:

    >Stan Brown wrote:
    >

    >> Hmm -- I had to send my Acer notebook in for warranty repair this
    >> month, and they wanted my administrator password, even though it was
    >> pretty clearly a motherboard or power-supply issue. (The person on
    >> the phone agreed with that assessment; that wasn't just my feeling.)
    >>

    > I've never dealt with Acer, so I certainly won't doubt your experience.
    > They would need the password if they were troubleshooting a software
    >problem, but definitely not for a hardware issue. I think the operative
    >phrase is ".... reputable repair facilities....."

    Ouch!

    :-)

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    "What in heaven's name brought you to Casablanca?"
    "My health. I came to Casablanca for the waters."
    "The waters? What waters? We're in the desert."

Partition Microsoft Hard Drives Windows XP