Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Internet sharing (DSL)

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 11:01:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I have two computers at home which has both WinXP installed. One has a
internet connection(host)(DSL) and i wanted my other computer(client) to
connect through host internet connection. My host has 2 lan card installed
one supposed to be for internet sharing. I already run WinXP Network Setup
Wizard on both computers and both has same range of IP buth still i cannot
share my internet connection.

1. If I will be using cross cable connection, still anything else i need to
configure aside from running Network setup Wizard and checking the Allow
others to connect to this internet connection?

2. Is it possible to use a hub to share internet connection, since I dont
have a broadband router?

3. How about using a wireless network because i do have one, how can i share
internet using access point. How can i configure it? Is it also possible that
i use hub so that i have my access point connect to it and i still have ports
to connect using utp cable network.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

More about : internet sharing dsl

Anonymous
August 24, 2005 2:25:28 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

From: "ArchWarDragoknight" <ArchWarDragoknight@discussions.microsoft.com>

| I have two computers at home which has both WinXP installed. One has a
| internet connection(host)(DSL) and i wanted my other computer(client) to
| connect through host internet connection. My host has 2 lan card installed
| one supposed to be for internet sharing. I already run WinXP Network Setup
| Wizard on both computers and both has same range of IP buth still i cannot
| share my internet connection.
|
| 1. If I will be using cross cable connection, still anything else i need to
| configure aside from running Network setup Wizard and checking the Allow
| others to connect to this internet connection?
|
| 2. Is it possible to use a hub to share internet connection, since I dont
| have a broadband router?
|
| 3. How about using a wireless network because i do have one, how can i share
| internet using access point. How can i configure it? Is it also possible that
| i use hub so that i have my access point connect to it and i still have ports
| to connect using utp cable network.
|
| Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

The *best* way to go about this is to obtain a Cable/DSL Router such as the Linksys BEFSR41.

There are many advantages to such a device as the Linksys BEFSR41 such as a built-in 4 port
10/100 Mb/s ethernet switch, simplistic FireWall, DHCP server and if the DSL uses PPPoE then
the Router, not the PC, will make the PPPoE connection to the ISP.

I do NOT suggest a WireLess network because if you do not know the basics, and properly
secure the wireless connection, you would be the subject of "War Driving" and either your
personal data will be stolen from you or the War Driver will perform nefarious actions using
your wireless network and YOU would be responsible for that person's actions.

As always, I suggest blocking both TCP and UDP ports 135 ~ 139 and 445 on *any* SOHO Router.

--
Dave
http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 2:25:29 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Dear David,

Thank you very much for a very fast response! Hope I could be of help to you
someday. Thanks.
Atleast now I know that it is really better to have a router then.

About the wireless, though i know the basics (installing and securing) I
admit i was never really yet convince on the security of wireless
connectivity. Thanks for the advice because currently we also have installed
2 wireless access point here in our company and i was also hoping i could
find something in this forum that could help us better secure our network.

Again Thanks.

Regards,

Mark Tisbe



"David H. Lipman" wrote:

> From: "ArchWarDragoknight" <ArchWarDragoknight@discussions.microsoft.com>
>
> | I have two computers at home which has both WinXP installed. One has a
> | internet connection(host)(DSL) and i wanted my other computer(client) to
> | connect through host internet connection. My host has 2 lan card installed
> | one supposed to be for internet sharing. I already run WinXP Network Setup
> | Wizard on both computers and both has same range of IP buth still i cannot
> | share my internet connection.
> |
> | 1. If I will be using cross cable connection, still anything else i need to
> | configure aside from running Network setup Wizard and checking the Allow
> | others to connect to this internet connection?
> |
> | 2. Is it possible to use a hub to share internet connection, since I dont
> | have a broadband router?
> |
> | 3. How about using a wireless network because i do have one, how can i share
> | internet using access point. How can i configure it? Is it also possible that
> | i use hub so that i have my access point connect to it and i still have ports
> | to connect using utp cable network.
> |
> | Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
>
> The *best* way to go about this is to obtain a Cable/DSL Router such as the Linksys BEFSR41.
>
> There are many advantages to such a device as the Linksys BEFSR41 such as a built-in 4 port
> 10/100 Mb/s ethernet switch, simplistic FireWall, DHCP server and if the DSL uses PPPoE then
> the Router, not the PC, will make the PPPoE connection to the ISP.
>
> I do NOT suggest a WireLess network because if you do not know the basics, and properly
> secure the wireless connection, you would be the subject of "War Driving" and either your
> personal data will be stolen from you or the War Driver will perform nefarious actions using
> your wireless network and YOU would be responsible for that person's actions.
>
> As always, I suggest blocking both TCP and UDP ports 135 ~ 139 and 445 on *any* SOHO Router.
>
> --
> Dave
> http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
>
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 6:35:56 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

In article <53DD21F8-FA84-478E-9866-92C29E36353D@microsoft.com>,
ArchWarDragoknight@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> I have two computers at home which has both WinXP installed. One has a
> internet connection(host)(DSL) and i wanted my other computer(client) to
> connect through host internet connection. My host has 2 lan card installed
> one supposed to be for internet sharing. I already run WinXP Network Setup
> Wizard on both computers and both has same range of IP buth still i cannot
> share my internet connection.
>
> 1. If I will be using cross cable connection, still anything else i need to
> configure aside from running Network setup Wizard and checking the Allow
> others to connect to this internet connection?
>
> 2. Is it possible to use a hub to share internet connection, since I dont
> have a broadband router?

You really need to get a cheap NAT Router - like a Linksys BEFSR41 unit
so that you don't have to rely on the other computer (first one) to
secure your network and so that both computers can use the Internet
independently.

> 3. How about using a wireless network because i do have one, how can i share
> internet using access point. How can i configure it? Is it also possible that
> i use hub so that i have my access point connect to it and i still have ports
> to connect using utp cable network.

Many Access points can work in Clinet mode - meaning you connect the
access point directly to the PC and it bridges to the Wireless LAN. You
would purchase a DSL Router (works with cable or DSL) and then connect
your access point to it directly, if in AP mode.


--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 6:35:57 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Dear Leythos,

Thank you very much also. Hope you'll continue sharing your knowledge with us.

Thanks.

Regards,
Mark Tisbe

"Leythos" wrote:

> In article <53DD21F8-FA84-478E-9866-92C29E36353D@microsoft.com>,
> ArchWarDragoknight@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> > I have two computers at home which has both WinXP installed. One has a
> > internet connection(host)(DSL) and i wanted my other computer(client) to
> > connect through host internet connection. My host has 2 lan card installed
> > one supposed to be for internet sharing. I already run WinXP Network Setup
> > Wizard on both computers and both has same range of IP buth still i cannot
> > share my internet connection.
> >
> > 1. If I will be using cross cable connection, still anything else i need to
> > configure aside from running Network setup Wizard and checking the Allow
> > others to connect to this internet connection?
> >
> > 2. Is it possible to use a hub to share internet connection, since I dont
> > have a broadband router?
>
> You really need to get a cheap NAT Router - like a Linksys BEFSR41 unit
> so that you don't have to rely on the other computer (first one) to
> secure your network and so that both computers can use the Internet
> independently.
>
> > 3. How about using a wireless network because i do have one, how can i share
> > internet using access point. How can i configure it? Is it also possible that
> > i use hub so that i have my access point connect to it and i still have ports
> > to connect using utp cable network.
>
> Many Access points can work in Clinet mode - meaning you connect the
> access point directly to the PC and it bridges to the Wireless LAN. You
> would purchase a DSL Router (works with cable or DSL) and then connect
> your access point to it directly, if in AP mode.
>
>
> --
>
> spam999free@rrohio.com
> remove 999 in order to email me
>
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 11:26:18 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 22:25:28 -0400, "David H. Lipman"
<DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>From: "ArchWarDragoknight" <ArchWarDragoknight@discussions.microsoft.com>
>
>| I have two computers at home which has both WinXP installed. One has a
>| internet connection(host)(DSL) and i wanted my other computer(client) to
>| connect through host internet connection. My host has 2 lan card installed
>| one supposed to be for internet sharing. I already run WinXP Network Setup
>| Wizard on both computers and both has same range of IP buth still i cannot
>| share my internet connection.
>|
>| 1. If I will be using cross cable connection, still anything else i need to
>| configure aside from running Network setup Wizard and checking the Allow
>| others to connect to this internet connection?
>|
>| 2. Is it possible to use a hub to share internet connection, since I dont
>| have a broadband router?
>|
>| 3. How about using a wireless network because i do have one, how can i share
>| internet using access point. How can i configure it? Is it also possible that
>| i use hub so that i have my access point connect to it and i still have ports
>| to connect using utp cable network.
>|
>| Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
>
>The *best* way to go about this is to obtain a Cable/DSL Router such as the Linksys BEFSR41.
>
>There are many advantages to such a device as the Linksys BEFSR41 such as a built-in 4 port
>10/100 Mb/s ethernet switch, simplistic FireWall, DHCP server and if the DSL uses PPPoE then
>the Router, not the PC, will make the PPPoE connection to the ISP.

The BEFSR41 does NOT include any type of firewall. Very few home
broadband routers do. Some include the ability to block computers
that use them from accessing the router unless it detects an operating
software firewall on them, but that does not, in any way, count as the
router operating as a firewall.

Almost all of them use NAT, but NAT also is not a firewall in any
form.
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 11:26:19 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Thanks also for your help. Hope you could spend sometime in the future again
if i may have other problems. Thanks, you're all are very helpfull to us.

"NobodyMan" wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 22:25:28 -0400, "David H. Lipman"
> <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:
>
> >From: "ArchWarDragoknight" <ArchWarDragoknight@discussions.microsoft.com>
> >
> >| I have two computers at home which has both WinXP installed. One has a
> >| internet connection(host)(DSL) and i wanted my other computer(client) to
> >| connect through host internet connection. My host has 2 lan card installed
> >| one supposed to be for internet sharing. I already run WinXP Network Setup
> >| Wizard on both computers and both has same range of IP buth still i cannot
> >| share my internet connection.
> >|
> >| 1. If I will be using cross cable connection, still anything else i need to
> >| configure aside from running Network setup Wizard and checking the Allow
> >| others to connect to this internet connection?
> >|
> >| 2. Is it possible to use a hub to share internet connection, since I dont
> >| have a broadband router?
> >|
> >| 3. How about using a wireless network because i do have one, how can i share
> >| internet using access point. How can i configure it? Is it also possible that
> >| i use hub so that i have my access point connect to it and i still have ports
> >| to connect using utp cable network.
> >|
> >| Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
> >
> >The *best* way to go about this is to obtain a Cable/DSL Router such as the Linksys BEFSR41.
> >
> >There are many advantages to such a device as the Linksys BEFSR41 such as a built-in 4 port
> >10/100 Mb/s ethernet switch, simplistic FireWall, DHCP server and if the DSL uses PPPoE then
> >the Router, not the PC, will make the PPPoE connection to the ISP.
>
> The BEFSR41 does NOT include any type of firewall. Very few home
> broadband routers do. Some include the ability to block computers
> that use them from accessing the router unless it detects an operating
> software firewall on them, but that does not, in any way, count as the
> router operating as a firewall.
>
> Almost all of them use NAT, but NAT also is not a firewall in any
> form.
>
>
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 6:04:10 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

In article <O0DVoqQqFHA.616@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>,
DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net says...
> No, it "acts as a simplistic FireWall." Note the sentence posted ...
> "As always, I suggest blocking both TCP and UDP ports 135 ~ 139 and 445 on any SOHO Router."
>
> This /*is*/ a FireWall construct, blocking TCP and/or UDP ports and is available on many NAT
> Routers.

It doesn't make the device a firewall just because you have a limited
ability to block some ports - there is nothing to say that the ports
will remain blocked when the unit is under load, and who knows what else
is going to be bad.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 6:04:11 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

From: "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan>


|
| It doesn't make the device a firewall just because you have a limited
| ability to block some ports - there is nothing to say that the ports
| will remain blocked when the unit is under load, and who knows what else
| is going to be bad.
|
| --
|
| spam999free@rrohio.com
| remove 999 in order to email me

I think some want to define "FireWall" into some thin and narrow specific category. The
fact is if it it acts to protect the enclave in some shape or fashion from outside
influences then it can be considered a form of FireWall.

Blocking specific TCP and UDP ports in a TCP/IP device is a FireWall construct. While it
may not have all the constructs of a full FireWall it nonetheless suffices to be considered
a simplistic FireWall.

--
Dave
http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 6:19:06 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

In article <OGJbgOeqFHA.3544@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>,
DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net says...
> Blocking specific TCP and UDP ports in a TCP/IP device is a FireWall construct. While it
> may not have all the constructs of a full FireWall it nonetheless suffices to be considered
> a simplistic FireWall.

And a rubber band will hold hair in many cases, but it won't hold wood
logs.

There is not such thing as "Simplistic", it is either a firewall or not
- and NAT does not make it a firewall, and being able to possibly block
a few outbound ports does not make it a firewall.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 6:19:07 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

From: "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan>

| In article <OGJbgOeqFHA.3544@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>,
| DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net says...
>> Blocking specific TCP and UDP ports in a TCP/IP device is a FireWall construct. While it
>> may not have all the constructs of a full FireWall it nonetheless suffices to be
>> considered a simplistic FireWall.
|
| And a rubber band will hold hair in many cases, but it won't hold wood
| logs.
|
| There is not such thing as "Simplistic", it is either a firewall or not
| - and NAT does not make it a firewall, and being able to possibly block
| a few outbound ports does not make it a firewall.
|
| --
|
| spam999free@rrohio.com
| remove 999 in order to email me

I see NOTHING in the formal definition that precludes this functionality as not being that
of a FireWall.
http://www.atis.org/tg2k/_firewall.html

While most NAT routers don't have an interpreted language to set "rules", their GUI based
front ends do add a set of rules to add "...filering outgoing traffic for security and
network usage rules.." and many do add Stateful Packet Inspection. Even the BEFSR41, in
FirmWare version v1.38.5, had support for SPI. However, it was removed for "stability"
reasons.

--
Dave
http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 7:38:05 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

In article <uNuWr0eqFHA.3860@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>,
DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net says...
> While most NAT routers don't have an interpreted language to set "rules", their GUI based
> front ends do add a set of rules to add "...filering outgoing traffic for security and
> network usage rules.." and many do add Stateful Packet Inspection. Even the BEFSR41, in
> FirmWare version v1.38.5, had support for SPI. However, it was removed for "stability"
> reasons.

Without SPI it's not a firewall.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 8:00:24 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

In article <_nwPe.903$sV7.347@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>, pcbutts1
@seedsv.com says...
>
> Unbelievable! Two idiots

No, what's unbelievable is your taking other peoples hard work and
passing it off as your own - giving no credit to the authors, and your
unethical distribution of their software.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
!