I changed to a new motherboard using my old hard drive and booted off the
Retail CD using the repair option. All the old files deleted and the new ones
copied down and on the reboot in set up a "Files needed" box came up saying
it needed file 'asms' from the CD and gave me my cd drive and a folder I386
path statement. It tells me to click OK but nothing happens. I have looked at
all five of my Windows XP installation disk they all have the I386 directory
but nothing with a file of that name. I have scoured the community posts but
no one seems to have this problem.

Thanks

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Try this link
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q311755

"Skip Bisconer" wrote:

> I changed to a new motherboard using my old hard drive and booted off the
> Retail CD using the repair option. All the old files deleted and the new ones
> copied down and on the reboot in set up a "Files needed" box came up saying
> it needed file 'asms' from the CD and gave me my cd drive and a folder I386
> path statement. It tells me to click OK but nothing happens. I have looked at
> all five of my Windows XP installation disk they all have the I386 directory
> but nothing with a file of that name. I have scoured the community posts but
> no one seems to have this problem.
>
> Thanks

kelly

Hi Skip,

When the message appears, open your CD drive then close it.

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"Skip Bisconer" <SkipBisconer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I changed to a new motherboard using my old hard drive and booted off the
> Retail CD using the repair option. All the old files deleted and the new
> ones
> copied down and on the reboot in set up a "Files needed" box came up
> saying
> it needed file 'asms' from the CD and gave me my cd drive and a folder
> I386
> path statement. It tells me to click OK but nothing happens. I have looked
> at
> all five of my Windows XP installation disk they all have the I386
> directory
> but nothing with a file of that name. I have scoured the community posts
> but
> no one seems to have this problem.
>
> Thanks

After many hours of screwing around trying to get everything to work properly
I finally did what I should have don in the first place was do a fresh
install. Now everything works as advertised. I of course have to reinstall
all my software but I probably would have saved time over all. Thanks every
one for you good advice.