Your question

White dots on mitsubishi tv screen

Last response: in Home Theatre
February 12, 2012 11:59:14 PM

i have 4 white dots on screen what can i do
February 28, 2012 12:13:32 AM

gerry d said:

I'm sorry to tell you, but if you have 4 white dots now, soon you'll have hundreds of white dots multiplying like rabbits. I just went through the same thing but with a happy ending. Here is a message I posted elsewhere.

I recently confronted the same "multiplying white dots" problem with my 65 inch Mitsubishi DLP TV. It seemed most repair shops expected nearly $1000 to replace the light engine (with labor) which is absurd since it would cost me just a little more than that to simply buy another brand new TV of the same size and more up to date with LED, etc.

But, with a little research, I found there is a specific chip (manufactured by Teas Instruments) inside the light engine which is the cause of the problem. Generally these chips are costing about $299-325 but I bought mine over E-Bay for about $260 (new) from a very reputable rated dealer there, after I found the part number for the exact replacement chip for my particular brand and model TV (some different brands may even use identical chips, but they all look very similar anyway, so make sure you know the correct part number.) I even found a YouTube video showing another person replacing their chip which was very helpful to me.

To make a long story short, after removing the rear of my TV, disconnecting a half dozen wiring harnesses and removing just as many screws, I slid out the light engine (metal chasis) and sat it on my kitchen table. Then, I had to remove a cover hiding the circuit board where the chip was mounted (this was more tedious with very small screws and a few more wires to disconnect). Once I exposed the chip (which was mounted on the underside of the circuit board) it was simple to remove the chip with one turn of a retainer screw and plug the new chip in with another turn of the retainer screw.

I then proceeded to put everything back together. The only mistake I made was trying to test the TV before I reinstalled the back of the TV in place, because there is a safety mechanism which prevents the TV from working without the back in place.

Anyway, in less than 2 hours, I had my TV working like new again and the picture looks awesome and I feel like I've almost got a brand new TV again! By the way, I since found out my bulb has over 8000 hours of use which according to most reports is way beyond what is normally expected, so also through an EBAY dealer, I have bought another light bulb (new) for about $55 which is very easy to replace on my TV without even removing the back of my TV, but I'm going to wait until my original bulb burns out, because right now, I just couldn't ask for a better picture.

I was a little hesitant initially about spending nearly $300 for a replacement chip, not knowing for sure if I'd save my TV, but looking back now, I'm sure glad I did, although I can't promise everyone would be as lucky.
m
l
August 13, 2012 9:59:35 PM

thank you very much for your help
ValricoFlorida said:
I'm sorry to tell you, but if you have 4 white dots now, soon you'll have hundreds of white dots multiplying like rabbits. I just went through the same thing but with a happy ending. Here is a message I posted elsewhere.

I recently confronted the same "multiplying white dots" problem with my 65 inch Mitsubishi DLP TV. It seemed most repair shops expected nearly $1000 to replace the light engine (with labor) which is absurd since it would cost me just a little more than that to simply buy another brand new TV of the same size and more up to date with LED, etc.

But, with a little research, I found there is a specific chip (manufactured by Teas Instruments) inside the light engine which is the cause of the problem. Generally these chips are costing about $299-325 but I bought mine over E-Bay for about $260 (new) from a very reputable rated dealer there, after I found the part number for the exact replacement chip for my particular brand and model TV (some different brands may even use identical chips, but they all look very similar anyway, so make sure you know the correct part number.) I even found a YouTube video showing another person replacing their chip which was very helpful to me.

To make a long story short, after removing the rear of my TV, disconnecting a half dozen wiring harnesses and removing just as many screws, I slid out the light engine (metal chasis) and sat it on my kitchen table. Then, I had to remove a cover hiding the circuit board where the chip was mounted (this was more tedious with very small screws and a few more wires to disconnect). Once I exposed the chip (which was mounted on the underside of the circuit board) it was simple to remove the chip with one turn of a retainer screw and plug the new chip in with another turn of the retainer screw.

I then proceeded to put everything back together. The only mistake I made was trying to test the TV before I reinstalled the back of the TV in place, because there is a safety mechanism which prevents the TV from working without the back in place.

Anyway, in less than 2 hours, I had my TV working like new again and the picture looks awesome and I feel like I've almost got a brand new TV again! By the way, I since found out my bulb has over 8000 hours of use which according to most reports is way beyond what is normally expected, so also through an EBAY dealer, I have bought another light bulb (new) for about $55 which is very easy to replace on my TV without even removing the back of my TV, but I'm going to wait until my original bulb burns out, because right now, I just couldn't ask for a better picture.

I was a little hesitant initially about spending nearly $300 for a replacement chip, not knowing for sure if I'd save my TV, but looking back now, I'm sure glad I did, although I can't promise everyone would be as lucky.

m
l
Related resources
August 25, 2012 7:06:17 PM

gerry d said:

I found the chip at a place called ShopJimmy.com for $159.00 and FREE 2nd day delivery. I called them and they were able to completely help me out. They even have an instructional video that helped me replace it myself. The TV repair guy wanted $500 to fix it, I did it myself for the $159.00!!

m
l
November 15, 2012 1:06:10 AM

gerry d said:

Ther were ten dots at first, but now there are many more. What is the cause of this? and how can I fix it?
m
l
December 19, 2012 4:03:51 AM

pretyroundbrown said:
Ther were ten dots at first, but now there are many more. What is the cause of this? and how can I fix it?

The white "dots" are actually caused by tiny mirrors on the DLP chip that get stuck in the on position.
You will also get black "dots" if the mirrors get stuck in the off position.

I'm about to do my in-laws 65" Mitsu by replacing the DLP chip I bought from ShopJimmy.com.
It's $160 and waaaay cheaper than calling out the repair guy. Their tv started with 3 white pixels, and now there are hundreds. They're like a rash, when you see one, more always follow and spread.

The videos on YouTube and ShopJimmy are VERY helpful if you have confidence in doing the repair yourself.
If you're not, try to find someone that would be willing to do it for you. It should only take about an hour with a couple of screwdrivers, some compressed air and elbow grease. Longer with the whole family watching, which will be my adventure.
m
l
January 4, 2013 9:27:34 PM

gerry d said:

Hello,
We had the white dot problem. We called mitsu's 800.332.2119#. They covered ALL but $200. As soon we got off the phone with them, the local authorized service company called, came out immediately and fixed the set- in about one hour! I gladly wrote the check and am very impressed with Mitsu's service. By the way, we do not have any coverage on the set. Do yourself a favor and call Mitsubishi's service.
m
l
January 4, 2013 9:28:06 PM

Hello,
We had the white dot problem. We called mitsu's 800.332.2119#. They covered ALL but $200. As soon we got off the phone with them, the local authorized service company called, came out immediately and fixed the set- in about one hour! I gladly wrote the check and am very impressed with Mitsu's service. By the way, we do not have any coverage on the set. Do yourself a favor and call Mitsubishi's service.
m
l
January 6, 2013 5:21:37 PM

That's impressive. But how were you able to get them to cover most of the cost if the TV did not have any coversge (warranty)?

Mrbigmoneygrip said:
Hello,

m
l
January 6, 2013 10:15:01 PM

I think they just back their product. I called wanting to trade in or get a discount on another Mistsu TV hopefully, they recommended covering it getting fixed for $200 and change which is what the part basically cost. To me, unbelievable service and working with their customers. I hope you give them a call if you have the same problem and wish you success.
m
l
January 7, 2013 1:17:11 AM

Thank you very much for the information. Interesting that they would rather fix your current one versus getting you to buy another one, good to know. My Mitsu started getting darker and darker this weekend until finally this morning the solid red light came on. I was going to call service and started checking around the internet and found that the issue was the lamp (this was before the solid red light came on) and how easy it was to change it. I was going to order the lamp for about $46 from Amazon and noticed the bad reviews. So, I paid the extra $$$ and ordered it from Mitsubishi. I bought the tv back in 2010. It is a 65 inch C9. It is not under warranty.

In checking the internet regarding issues with the DLP, I came across this site and the issue with white dots. I don't have white dots.....yet. So, I am just weighing in options in case I start having this issue. :-)

Mrbigmoneygrip said:
I think they just back their product. I called wanting to trade in or get a discount on another Mistsu TV hopefully, they recommended covering it getting fixed for $200 and change which is what the part basically cost. To me, unbelievable service and working with their customers. I hope you give them a call if you have the same problem and wish you success.

m
l
January 15, 2013 3:51:53 PM

Showmestate said:
That's impressive. But how were you able to get them to cover most of the cost if the TV did not have any coversge (warranty)?

That was some GREAT info! I've been having the ‘white dot’ problem for about a month now. It started off as two white dots. We didn't know what the issue was so we took a dry erase black marker and colored them in on the screen itself...lol... Well two white dots multiplied into eleven white dots in about a weeks time! I was actually reading all of the threads and thinking about ordering the DLP chip and attempting to replace it myself until I saw your suggestion to call Mitsu. Sure enough, although my TV is no longer under warranty they offered to cover all expenses other than $200 and would have someone out to repair it (free of charge) as soon as the part arrives. Now the only down side is Mitsu said it may take 1-2 weeks to receive the light engine so it's a race against time. How many white dots will we have to color in before the repairman arrives? What started off as a stressful situation (worrying about replacing our TV just a month after the holiday season or paying $1000+ to have it repaired) has now turned into a hilarious race with my wife to see who can fill in the most dots. Thanks for the info!!
m
l
January 15, 2013 10:39:32 PM

Thank you for sharing.

jpeezy said:
That was some GREAT info! I've been having the ‘white dot’ problem for about a month now. It started off as two white dots. We didn't know what the issue was so we took a dry erase black marker and colored them in on the screen itself...lol... Well two white dots multiplied into eleven white dots in about a weeks time! I was actually reading all of the threads and thinking about ordering the DLP chip and attempting to replace it myself until I saw your suggestion to call Mitsu. Sure enough, although my TV is no longer under warranty they offered to cover all expenses other than $200 and would have someone out to repair it (free of charge) as soon as the part arrives. Now the only down side is Mitsu said it may take 1-2 weeks to receive the light engine so it's a race against time. How many white dots will we have to color in before the repairman arrives? What started off as a stressful situation (worrying about replacing our TV just a month after the holiday season or paying $1000+ to have it repaired) has now turned into a hilarious race with my wife to see who can fill in the most dots. Thanks for the info!!

m
l
January 23, 2013 9:25:47 PM

jpeezy said:

Sounds like a good deal. What exactly did you tell mitsubishi about your tv when you called? Just wondering so I know exactly what to tell them. Thanks for the info.
m
l
January 24, 2013 10:09:16 PM

I have a Mitsubisi 73" DLP. I purchase the extended warranty 4-10-2008 for $449.50 with 5 years coverage.

I had over 200 white spots on my screen. I call the Extended Service Number and made a claim.

A service technician came out and replace the DMD (Digital MicroMirror Device) and replace the LAMP.

DMD Chip $180.00
Lamp $80.00.

Set is working like new now. There was no charge.

So this Dead Pixel-White Spot problem can be fixed by inserting a new DMD chip.
Also the LAMP replacement is straightforward.

So no need to Panic. The White Dots - Dead Pixel flaw is easily corrected.
Even if you buy the parts yourself, it is not expensive. The DLP set is well worth keeping.

wm_harrison
m
l
February 1, 2013 7:56:30 PM

woo-hoo - thank you, thank you, THANK YOU to this thread. like everyone else, i have rapidly multiplying white dots on my screen. today i finally called the 800 number listed above and talked to customer service. they took my name, vitals, tv model & serial numbers to make a report. he then informed me that mitsubishi would cover the repair (as a goodwill gesture since this is a common problem) - i would only have to pay $200...not the $600-$1000 it would cost at a repair shop. I didn't have to beg, plead or threaten in any - was prepared to do all of the aforementioned. The "chip" is on order and the authorized repair shop will be out next week to fix my 73"...can't wait. But what will i do for amuzement when i turn on the tv - now that i won't be counting how many new white dots we have today? thanks, mitsubishi - and thanks to this blog and the above posts.
m
l
April 4, 2013 2:46:07 PM

Mrbigmoneygrip said:
gerry d said:

Hello,

m
l
April 4, 2013 2:52:31 PM

Thank you Mrbigmoneygrip for the 800 number. We called the number about our white dots last week they came out today and fixed the tv and was done in less then an hour. It was worth paying the $200.00 verses paying $1000. It plays like a brand new tv, thanks again.
m
l
April 9, 2013 9:04:25 AM

jpeezy said:
Showmestate said:

m
l
April 12, 2013 8:08:30 PM

Thanks this to forum, plus the advice of a co-worker with the same problem. My 'white dot' issue is solved as of today. I, too, called the Mitsubishi Consumer Relations 800-332-2119 number last week. I bought my TV in late 2007 with an extended 4-year warranty. Though out of warranty, Mitsubishi agreed to send the part to my local authorized service center at no charge -- no begging or arguing needed. It took about a week for the part to arrive, but the service tech installed the new chip today. The cost was $200 plus tax. My first white dot had appeared around last Thanksgiving. Gradually, more dots appeared. This was in addition to some less-noticeable black dots. I was up to about 40 dots when I decided to make the call for repair. My tech today thought I was was wise to call as he questions how long Mitsubishi will provide the replacement chip at no charge on TV's out of warranty. The tech also emphasized the defective chip was not Mitsubishi's fault. He said this was a Texas Instruments chips and that some old Samsung models had the same chip and same problems. The TV looks great -- no more white or black dots!
m
l
April 24, 2013 10:10:05 AM

Great tip on the Mitsu service call. Just got off the phone with them and my WD-73735 should be spot free in 5-7 business days for $200.
m
l
April 26, 2013 12:48:29 PM

After reading these post I also called Mitsubishi and let me say that they were great! When I told them what the problem was they asked if we had purchased the extended warranty I told the no and they said no problem they found a repair service and made the appointment for us. It also cost us $200.00 plus tax and they were here to fix it within a week. The repair man told us to just clean it once a year to get the dust out and we should not have anymore problems. there is a small fan in there to keep the chip cooled and with the dust build up it over heats and causes the mirrors to not close properly. He even told us how to clean the screen on the inside to keep our picture bright and clear.
Thank you so much for this post glad I found it and called Mitsubishi they stand behind the products and customer service was great. We now have no more star constellations on our tv and are very happy we had someone do the repair for us who knew what they were doing for about the same price if we would have tried to do it ourselves. My suggestion call Mitsubishi customer service and get it done right by someone who know what they are doing! Thanks again for the post.
m
l
May 2, 2013 7:59:56 PM

Mrbigmoneygrip said:
gerry d said:

Hello,

m
l
May 2, 2013 8:09:26 PM

Thanks Mrbigmoneygrip!!! I hope they work with me and my tv the same way. Untill I read your answer I Was told I could pay hundreds up to a thousand to have my 57 inch fixed. I had just paid almost 300 to replace the bulb. So it has been sitting for months just taking up space. So i was getting ready to spend 200.00 for a 32 inch, I rather pay that to get my tv fixed. I got my fingerss crossed. I will post my response from Mitsubishi when I reach them tomorrow. Again Thanks!!!
m
l
May 11, 2013 11:04:40 AM

great info on getting this issue resolved!!!! 200 buck and my 65" dlp will be good as new in a week. Thanks to everyone for all the great information!!
m
l
May 14, 2013 10:48:43 AM

Hey folks!!! HERE'S GREAT NEWS FOR WHITE DOTS ON A MITSUBSHI 65" OR GREATER DLP FLat screen.

***************CALL MITSUBSHI CUSTOMER RELATIONS*********************TOLL FREE

THEY WILL GIVE YOU THE CHIP NEEDED TO FIX FOR FREE AND SETUP A PRE-NEGOTIATED TV REPAIR OVER THE PHONE WITH ONE OF THEIR AUTHORIZED REPAIR COMPANIES.

ALL THIS WILL COST YOU IS 200.00 PLUS TAX, SO PRICE IS $216.50 TOTAL COST TO YOU BUT ONLY IF YOU LET MITSUBSHI SETUP THE REPAIR THRU THEIR TOLL FREE LINE.

NO - YOU DON'T NEED ANY EXTENDED WARRANTY FOR 500.00
NO SELF BOUGHT CHIP FOR UPWARDS OF 300.00
NO TIME OF YOUR OWN LOST

I'M HAVING MINE FIXED RIGHT NOW TODAY 73" 1080P WD73734 DLP
FOR ONLY 216.50, NEW MITSUBSHI CHIP, SENT BY MITSUBSHI TO THE REPAIR PERSON AND VIOLA......IF YOU HAVE THIS PROBLEM i SUGGEST YOU CALL MITSUBSHI TOLL FREE CUSTOMER RELATIONS AND THEY WILL HAVE YOUR TV FIXED FOR UNDER 220.00....NO HIDDEN COSTS!!!! ALL AUTHORIZED MITSUBSHI PARTS AND APPROVED LABOR

HOPE THIS HELPS FOLKS
m
l
May 14, 2013 10:08:40 PM

Ok I got my tv fixed today!!! Thanks again mrbigmoneygrip. I think you need to be Mitsubishi repair representative. Now with that said, I am thankful my tv is fixed however the repair only took 15 mins which I really think 200.00 was a bit extreme!! They led me to believe it would take at least 2 hrs to repair because of a lot of screws and stuff but nope the repair guy was in and out in 15 mins or less. Let's just hope this will last for a few years, because I will not put another dollar in this tv it's becoming a money pit. Mitsubishi knew this would happen therefor I don't think none of us should have been charged a dime. Glad I wasn't charged taxed! Tv finally working after replacing the bulb and getting rid of "star wars"!
m
l
May 22, 2013 7:18:38 PM

It is true. Just call Mitsubishi 800-332-2119 and tell them you have white, black or blinking dots (all pixel problems with the chip) and they will look up authorized repair service (they asked me which I wanted to use I had 2 choices) the repair center called me the same day to set up a time for service and the part should be in next week. I will pay $200 plus tax and that was it. No questions except for the model and serial number and address and the set it up. Fantastic customer service. I would buy another Mitsubishi TV. The cause of the problem is the DLP chip which there was a bad run and that was Texas Instruments fault not Mitsubishi. There was no asking for a supervisor just handled by the first rep to answer the phone. Now that is customer service. I know a TV should last longer than 2-3 years without a problem but most companies do not have this level of customer service. Hats off to Mitsubishi and Thank you Mrbigmoneygrip
m
l
June 2, 2013 2:32:44 PM

I called today. They are open 7days a week, shorter hours on Sunday. I was given the name of the local installer and was told it will take 5 to 7 business days for the installer to receive the part and to expect a call after he receives the chip. No hassles. No jumping through hoops. For $200+tax I'd rather have the installer do the work. Great service.

Big TV Man said:
It is true. Just call Mitsubishi 800-332-2119 and tell them you have white, black or blinking dots (all pixel problems with the chip) and they will look up authorized repair service (they asked me which I wanted to use I had 2 choices) the repair center called me the same day to set up a time for service and the part should be in next week. I will pay $200 plus tax and that was it. No questions except for the model and serial number and address and the set it up. Fantastic customer service. I would buy another Mitsubishi TV. The cause of the problem is the DLP chip which there was a bad run and that was Texas Instruments fault not Mitsubishi. There was no asking for a supervisor just handled by the first rep to answer the phone. Now that is customer . I know a TV should last longer than 2-3 years without a problem but most companies do not have this level of customer service. Hats off to Mitsubishi and Thank you Mrbigmoneygrip

m
l
June 10, 2013 2:40:38 PM

Thank you so much for mentioning the safety switch and having to put the TV completely back together when trying to test the new chip. That just saved me countless hours of wife nagging and why I really broke the TV this time!!! :bounce: 
m
l
July 29, 2013 7:21:28 AM

Just called Mitsubishi at 800-332-2119 and sure enough, $200 bucks to get my white dot syndrome fixed! Way better then having to buy the part and fix it myself!
m
l
August 9, 2013 4:54:03 PM

Just called a few minutes ago. As mentioned above phone number and $200 fee, I will get the authorized Mitsubishi repair folks to fix the white spots on my WD65833 DLPTV. Thank you for this tip.
m
l
August 12, 2013 8:24:09 AM

wow....good info here. I'm on hold with Mitsubishi right now.

Glad I called....I was ready to order the chip and try to do it myself. $200 and I'm getting a pro to do it

thank you to everyone who posted!!!!

I have a 65" WD-65733
m
l
August 20, 2013 8:59:17 PM

Make sure you put the back cover on after installing the DMD chip before turning on or else the tv won't power on and you will think that you broke the tv while installing the DMD chip. There is a safety switch that prevents the tv from turning on without the back cover on.
m
l
August 21, 2013 2:59:18 PM

Mrbigmoneygrip said:
gerry d said:

Hello,

m
l
August 21, 2013 3:01:50 PM

Wow, thank you so much for the info. I've been dreading having to work on my TV myself. Today I called Mitsubishi and yes, they send my new part to an authorized repair facility for free and I only pay #200.. for the repair. Thank you again. Oh, and my TV is 6 years old without extended warranty.
m
l
August 22, 2013 11:13:54 AM

I have a Mitsubishi WD 60735, It's just a little over 4 years old. A few months ago I noticed one white dot and figured it was a pixel gone bad. Within a few days the one white dot turned to 3, then 20 then what looks like hundreds.. Also sometime during the white dots multiplying I had a few black spots shooting up with the same outcome as the white ones. Now 3 months later I have what looks like hundreds of white spots and twice as many black spots.

I called Best Buy who I purchased the tv from with no help at all because I am out of warranty. So after reading this forum and seen where several of y'all contacted Mitsubishi with positive results I figured what the heck all they can say to me is no, your tv is out of warranty.. To my Surprise the polite guy I talked to told me it is out of mfg warranty however Mitsubishi will give me the parts I need for No cost and will have a repair man come out to me to fix the tv at a flat cost of $200. no more no less! So for just a little more than the part would have cost me Mitsubishi will send a professional out to repair my set...

I am 46 yrs old and I can't remember Ever a company take responsibility and give such great service when they did not have to. after all I was out of warranty and chose not to purchase the extended warranty.

So people if you are experiencing this issue and felt at a lost please call Mitsubishi and explain the problem, it is true that they will help take care of the issue regardless of being out of warranty.
m
l
October 5, 2013 12:54:41 PM

Great post. Thanks. I contacted Mitsubishi customer service on September 30 and 5 days later local TV repair place came over with new DMD chip supplied by Mitsubishi and fixed my TV for $200 even
m
l
October 20, 2013 7:19:00 PM

ValricoFlorida said:
gerry d said:

m
l
October 20, 2013 7:20:03 PM

Thank you soooo much. I will call Mitsubishi tomorrow!
m
l
October 31, 2013 2:37:57 PM

Mrbigmoneygrip said:
gerry d said:

Hello,

m
l
October 31, 2013 2:41:10 PM

Mrbigmoneygrip you are incredible. I just called that number for Mitsubishi. My 65835 is 5 years old. They are sending the chip to the nearest service center who will call me in a week to schedule the repair. The cost to me will be around $200. I love this TV and would have had to replace it with the Aquos 70" for around $2000. Thank you so much for sharing this information in such a well organized manner.
m
l
November 15, 2013 4:57:30 PM

mrshaft178 said:
thank you very much for your help
ValricoFlorida said:

m
l
November 18, 2013 1:54:36 PM

I have white and black vertical lines running the length of my screen and was told it was the dlp light engine which is $700 plus I would have to install it. Could this chip be the culprit here as well?

[/quotemsg]

m
l
November 21, 2013 9:57:56 AM

gerry d said:

I took the advice of the comments I read below and called 1-800-332-2119 (Mitsubishi) and they authorized a local dealer to send the chip to and when the dealer gets it they are going to give me a call to set up a time to come out and fix it. Mitsubishi payed for the chip and all I have to pay for is the labor. Which should only be around $200.00. Which is way cheaper than what we purchased the tv for and cheaper than buying a new one. When you call you will need the serial number and model of your tv. Its in the back right hand corner of your tv. Our fist white dot appeared about two weeks ago and we already have a second one coming on and off. I hope this helps. Good luck!!!
m
l
December 7, 2013 5:24:59 PM

ValricoFlorida said:
gerry d said:

Can you tell us what the name of the chip is if you know? Im not sure if I search for it as light engine chip or something else. Your help is greatly appreciated.
Please email me if you can at lucylucille5682@hotmail.com as I may loose this website.
Thank you very much!!!
m
l
December 13, 2013 11:01:23 AM

I have a 73 inch DLP purchased in 2008. The lamp was projected to burn out after approximately 1 1/2 years. I just replaced it with one purchased on eBay for $35 versus $99 from Mitsubishi. The white dots started appearing last year and I initially thought the pixels were burnt out like on a laptop display which are not fixable but have to be replaced. After the few white dots became hundreds of dots - both black and white, I was willing to trash the TV which costs $2000 in 2008. But the web saved the day - it is a problem with the DLP chip and not the screen. The chip is available on Amazon for a little over $200. Plus I found a 10 minute video on how to replace the chip. Then I decided to call Mitsubishi and they offered to provide a free replacement chip but I would have to pay a service repair person a $200 fee. Since my hands aren't very steady any more, I opted for the repair guy. It took about a week for Mitsubishi to ship the chip to the repair shop and they in turn called me to setup an appointment a couple of days later. 10 minutes after they arrived, the chip was replaced and the picture is brand, sparkling new.
m
l
December 15, 2013 8:18:13 AM

ValricoFlorida said:
gerry d said:

m
l
December 16, 2013 1:03:52 PM

How did you locate the exact chip (e.g. model #) you needed, and what was the name of the dealer?

ValricoFlorida said:
gerry d said:

m
l
December 18, 2013 4:50:49 PM

ValricoFlorida said:
gerry d said:

m
l
!