Sign in with
Your question

Thermaltake SmartFan 2 acting strangely

Last response: in CPUs
July 30, 2003 6:53:24 PM

I am currently using a Thermaltake SmartFan 2, SLK-800 & arctic silver 3 to cool my AXP 1800+ @ 2GHz (vcore: 1.65v). I have the SmartFan connected in "manual mode" where I can set how fast I want it to spin using a switch that came along. I have it set at 3000rpm and it's been this way for the past 4 months. In the past, I had my computer on for more than 72 hours continuously with no problems but something strange started happening this week.

During the last few days, I turn on my computer at about 9am when I get up, and turn it off at about midnight. Three days ago, at around 10pm the fan suddenly started increasing its speed by itself, with no reason! It kept going from 2500rpm to 5000rpm all the time, up and down! Turning my computer off and then back on didn't help, but because I was tired, I decided to look at this problem the next day. Yestereday, when I turned it on again at 8am the problem had disappeared! But then, at around 9pm the same thing started happening. Same thing as the day before, problem fixed this morning. Right now when I am typing this is 9.30pm where I live and here we go again!

This thing is driving me crazy! Can anyone make any sense out of this? I should mention that I have Asus A7N8X Deluxe and Antec TruePower 430w. Q-Fan options are disabled in the bios and the voltage readings look ok. Also, during the night when this happens, temps in the room are lower than in the morning, so WHAT IS GOING ON!?!?

Heeeeeeeelp!!!! :) 
July 30, 2003 7:01:44 PM

try turning q fan on...it should keep that fan running at least at a more consistant low speed...

3 386DX-25's...12 volts...glue some ln2 and a wicked amount of overclocking and you get a willamantee minus 36 pins, 33.75 million transistors and a couple hundred mhz... :cool:
July 30, 2003 7:02:46 PM

Dodgy pin connection probably. I have 2 smartfans on my SK7 cooling a 1700 @ 2.37ghz. One is connected to the mobo, thats fine. The other is connected to a power cable through an adapter and its a little dodgy as it slows down and speeds up sometimes but on the whole its fine.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6790821" target="_new"> MY RIG </A>
<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=1065087" target="_new"> 3D-03 </A>
<font color=red> 120% overclocker </font color=red> (cheapskate)
Related resources
July 30, 2003 7:20:43 PM

Quote:
Thermaltake SmartFan 2 acting strangely

Then take it to Holywood and give it some acting lessons so that it can improve. :) 

Seriously though, two wacky thoughts:
1) Is the power for it hooked up to a power supply with a special 'fan only' power lead?
2) Is it possible that it has an emergency rev-up system where if it gets too hot it ignores your manual control and spins faster until the temps go back down?

"<i>Let's see what <b>Paragraph 84-B</b> has to say about it.</i>" - Thief from <A HREF="http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=030724" target="_new">8-Bit Theater</A>
July 30, 2003 8:54:52 PM

I never tried that feature of my mobo. Do you know if that really works? Have you tried it ?
July 30, 2003 9:00:50 PM

Quote:
Then take it to Holywood and give it some acting lessons so that it can improve. :) 

English is not my native language. I hope I didn't say anything really stupid there :)  Although as far as I can see you got my point :) 

Quote:
Seriously though, two wacky thoughts:
1) Is the power for it hooked up to a power supply with a special 'fan only' power lead?
2) Is it possible that it has an emergency rev-up system where if it gets too hot it ignores your manual control and spins faster until the temps go back down?

1) Nope, I checked and it's connected to one of the regular power leads.
2) I don't know about that, but this thing happened until now during the night, after 8-9pm. At that time of the day, temps get lower, not higher so that doesn't make any sense. I doubt it.

Is there any possibility that there is something wrong with this particular fan that I have? Maybe if I sent it back for a replacement? Or is that very unlikely?
July 30, 2003 9:05:31 PM

it does sound like something is wrong with your fan...if you plug it in to the mobo heater it will be controlled by the mobo...thus once it starts reving up the mobo will decrease voltage to bring the fan back down to normal speeds...

3 386DX-25's...12 volts...glue some ln2 and a wicked amount of overclocking and you get a willamantee minus 36 pins, 33.75 million transistors and a couple hundred mhz... :cool:
!